Valve: Future Hardware Plans

blackdog

This is why I think Zuckemberg has been smart acquiring Oculus and then forging an alliance with Samsung, the cheap VR that you slap on with a smartphone is what is gonna get traction when on the other end of the market you have to spend 2k if you start from scratch. And you have to wear wires.

Edited by blackdog

There were videos about crazy sex shit on VR already.

This is the second part of what I intended to write in my post.

In terms of adoption the other thing I wanted to mention is in fact what you can do with it. Although is a big underuse of technology, there's talk about using it for cinema, as it gives you the equivalent size of a tens of thousands $ of screen.

I know that home 3D failed, and I don't expect VR to magically conquest everyone, but more and more people are enjoying home cinema, in that perspective a GearVR is actually an incredible value for money investment, in comparison. That, and other casual use, is much more graspable concept for the average consumer, than spending 1k "to play immersive games"; I would be really glad to have one of those kits for the times I don't feel like staying in the living room and I'd watch a movie in bed!

There were videos about crazy sex shit on VR already.

This is the second part of what I intended to write in my post.

In terms of adoption the other thing I wanted to mention is in fact what you can do with it. Although is a big underuse of technology, there's talk about using it for cinema, as it gives you the equivalent size of a tens of thousands $ of screen.

I know that home 3D failed, and I don't expect VR to magically conquest everyone, but more and more people are enjoying home cinema, in that perspective a GearVR is actually an incredible value for money investment, in comparison. That, and other casual use, is much more graspable concept for the average consumer, than spending 1k "to play immersive games"; I would be really glad to have one of those kits for the times I don't feel like staying in the living room and I'd watch a movie in bed!

that's a good idea, but the sound may weigh down the system when compared to a 5.1 surround system :/

that's a good idea, but the sound may weigh down the system when compared to a 5.1 surround system :/

yeah, but average people just have a cheap big TV, with a sound bar if at best. So… a movie guy could get good headphones, aren't there 5.1 headphones? :)

yeah, but average people just have a cheap big TV, with a sound bar if at best. So… a movie guy could get good headphones, aren't there 5.1 headphones? :)

There are  7.1 headphones too.

So Valve is gonna release another VR-oriented Portal-themed mini-game after showing off at GDC

another video on this channel the other day was reminding that just after GDC there will be another EGX Rezzed in London, which will be the last venue for VR PR for Valve, they should have sets to try their tech. I bet the queue will be long! (I waited almost an hour to get  decent seats for Chet's talk last year).

EGX will run 7-9 april.

• 4 weeks later...

Because that would get in the way of your hands which would be worse (unless it was an active robotic solution or a person moving it around all the time). It is much easier to just step over/around the wire than dealing with it in the air. They made it sound more of a problem than I have seen it to be in practice, though yes this varies fro person to person also be skeptical about anything technical that the GB guys say. 

The Lab is awesome though. And once more, seeing anything on screen does not give you any idea how it is actually to be inside the environment.