Squad

de_zoo

In a nutshell: hint brushes, areaportals, model draw distances and big lightmaps :)

It's generally a good idea to place large horizontal hint brushes in your map that cover the whole map and are 128 units from each other. Like the picture below.

Hint_example3.jpg

If you want more information about that (and other techniques) you should read will2k's Man vs Engine, which is pretty much a must-read for everyone working with the Source engine. Grab it here!

In a nutshell: hint brushes, areaportals, model draw distances and big lightmaps :)

It's generally a good idea to place large horizontal hint brushes in your map that cover the whole map and are 128 units from each other. Like the picture below.

Hint_example3.jpg

If you want more information about that (and other techniques) you should read will2k's Man vs Engine, which is pretty much a must-read for everyone working with the Source engine. Grab it here!

Thanks I've already read that, but I suppose I'll re read it, because I must have missed some things. Thanks for the answer.       By the way, does this also mean that everything above possible sightlines is func_detail? The only thing that will2k didn't covered, is how to optimize levels with curves, which can be a limit of the source engine..

On a side note, I do have to admit, that while I am trying to transform my map to be as realistic as yours in the sense that it wouldn't be just corridors etc, I realize that it requires a real talent. A talent you seem to have, being able to do it greatly in this map.

So.. yeah, impressive work :) looking forward to the next one by the way!

Thanks I've already read that, but I suppose I'll re read it, because I must have missed some things. Thanks for the answer.       By the way, does this also mean that everything above possible sightlines is func_detail? The only thing that will2k didn't covered, is how to optimize levels with curves, which can be a limit of the source engine..

On a side note, I do have to admit, that while I am trying to transform my map to be as realistic as yours in the sense that it wouldn't be just corridors etc, I realize that it requires a real talent. A talent you seem to have, being able to do it greatly in this map.

So.. yeah, impressive work :) looking forward to the next one by the way!

Thanks for the compliment :)

​If by "everything above possible sightlines" you mean whatever is above the highest horizontal hint brush, then yes, you can probably func_detail all of that. Basically, everything that doesn't act as a VIS blocker should be a func_detail or displacement (or model).

Curves should be either func_detail or models. Unless a curved/angled solid acts as a VIS blocker, but then you can either func_detail it and put a rectangular brush (with nodraw texture) inside it (pic 1) or (if that isn't possible) you can put a rectangular hint brush around it (pic 2).

I hope that makes any sense. If not, here are some examples from zoo that wil hopefully explain it better.

BGlsvEd.jpg

iAHdxdA.jpg

@Squad I didn't think about no-draw brushes like that, that's clever! Because curves sometimes cannot be either func_detail or models because you'd want them to seal the map, but your method allow that, so thanks!

So far I tried to place hints to fit curves, sometimes it has the effects that it does not create any unwanted visleaves, thus simplifying a lot visibility calculation, but it does not work every time. If I learn the logic I'll share because it could be pretty useful :)

Because curves sometimes cannot be either func_detail or models because you'd want them to seal the map, but your method allow that, so thanks!

So far I tried to place hints to fit curves, sometimes it has the effects that it does not create any unwanted visleaves, thus simplifying a lot visibility calculation, but it does not work every time. If I learn the logic I'll share because it could be pretty useful :)

​It's important to keep in mind which curves and part of the map are supposed to block visibility. This is on radiant, pink is the equivalent of nodraw for the Quake 3 engine.

1434432443-visibility.jpg

Without the brush highlighted in blue, the room a might be rendered from the room b, and vice-versa. Adding other brushes to fit the curve more closely is completely pointless in this case, only 1 brush is really needed. It's easier to think about sightlines, which part of the map can you see from somewhere, etc.

Almost all of your map should be either func_detail or nodraw/sky brushes. Textured brushes are for big/cube-shaped/straight buildings only.

Edited by Klems