CounterStrike - Clipping Texture

post-31309-0-31130900-1423233289_thumb.j

Why do you need both of these in Counterstrike? Why would you mix two in the same map most importantly?

I can think of one draw back to the player clip, and maybe this is a game bug I don't know. When you nav_generate, mesh will go outside of the player clip brushes. So why player clip?

Edited by hamilton5
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought we cleared this issue a long time ago Different Source games have different uses of clip brushes (either by design or simply an unattended bug...because, Valve ) In the case of CSGO, "clip"

They are the same in Counter-Strike with the added benefit of clip in preventing the nav meshes from overflowing outside the clip brushes.   For this reason, use only clip brushes (unless you want t

They have the same functions, so they're probably both there for the same reason that block bullets doesn't block bullets.

Posted Images

Why do you need both of these in Counterstrike? Why would you mix two in the same map most importantly?

I can think of one draw back to the player clip, and maybe this is a game bug I don't know. When you nav_generate, mesh will go outside of the player clip brushes. So why player clip?

attachicon.gif2015-02-06_00003.jpg

They are the same in Counter-Strike with the added benefit of clip in preventing the nav meshes from overflowing outside the clip brushes.

For this reason, use only clip brushes (unless you want to manually delete nav areas from the non playable area when using player clips)

Edited by will2k

attachicon.gif2015-02-06_00003.jpg

Player clip is important for games such as L4D, where the ai spawns outside of the playable area. There is really no reason to use player clip in cs unless you are making a custom map with ai only areas. 

Player clipping is important in every game because prevents the player to get stuck, in frantic situations as well as careful movement.

Considering how much you backtrack without looking in CS (or most of shooters), smoothing minor corners/edges is important.

Or what did I miss?

It's been about the difference of those 2 clip brushes :P It's obvious that games need those to work smooth.

Yeah but just above I read someone writing that clipping is not important.

I also think initial question is a bit poorly formed and I see comments going in all directions.

According to the guide, if i am reading correctly, a clip_brush will stop players AND bullets, while player_clip won't stop bullets? Which to me makes sense, cos you might want to have a fence but be able to shoot through it.

Pretty sure blockbullets also blocks nades and works similar to a nodraw brush (but due to the way bullet penetration works in csgo neither of these will unconditionally block bullets unless the brush is thick enough!)

Edited by spence