clankill3r

clankill3r's concept art*

I started with making concept art in photoshop.

I hope to get at a descent level of quality someday. And soon I will start making textures as well. Making textures is a bit more important for me. But making concept art feels less as work which is nice. I also think it's good for photoshop practice.

For who's interested. A few tips. Get a wacom tablet if you can afford one. This is not only because you can add strokes more natural but they have pressure control. So the harder you press, the less opacity for example.

Second tip, get custom brushes. They help so much.

Ok here it comes.

O yeah, I first draw in a dummy and then I scan and then I draw over them.

My first one, I stopped after a while cause...:

post-14640-0-53349300-1419767082_thumb.p

Second attempt, here I started using custom brushes.

The light could be a bit stronger. Also it needs harder lines.

post-14640-0-45938900-1419767081_thumb.p

3th, I wanted some hard sunlight on the asphalt but I really failed at that. I also really dislike how the stair goes to the grass but because of the angle it was a bit hard.

post-14640-0-76087300-1419767079_thumb.p

I kinda like this one. Here I started adding photo material as well.

I'm really happy with the fence.

post-14640-0-00376400-1419767078_thumb.p

Here my finger started to hurt and I was getting hungry from photoshopping all day:

post-14640-0-15752500-1419767076_thumb.p

This was based on a tutorial, but my result is so bad:

post-14640-0-10695300-1419767074_thumb.p

I did a wood tutorial, wood is really easy.

I thought it would be nice to make a box as well.

On the right I wanted to make a quick one. Cause I prefer to be good in speed painting then the detail photoshopping like on the left.

post-14640-0-25734800-1419767073_thumb.p

Last one to finish the day. The tree and birds are a brush, so yeah all I did is quite bad.

post-14640-0-79444700-1419767071_thumb.p

Ok more later...

Edited by clankill3r

I'm no artist, but I like watching Feng Zu's videos on the FZD youtube channel.

Think you need to do perspective exercises first. One simple thing you could do is take some pictures and draw over the horizon and perspective lines to visualize what your brain process in background.

Proper paintovers might help, you should be able to achieve good results that make you feel better easily while you gain expertise in handling the tablet (I used one years ago for a while and couldn't get used to it, but was also the smallest size possible so was good just for photo-retouching).

Another staple of Feng is that he basically uses only a couple of standard bruhes. Custom brushes are not the way to good art, I think they can help save some time when you know the fundamentals.

I like the last piece, quite suggestive! Also first wooden crate seems alright to me.

You actually seem to have some flair for lighting, as blackdog mentioned though, you should focus on perspective and composition.
also custom brushes are a big nono for beginners, you really don't want to get into the mindset that brushes do your work for you, a good way of looking at this is; Never use custom brushes for something you couldn't do without them. The only reason to really use them is to save time.

I will update this reply with some visual examples when I'm off work. until then, don't be discouraged!

Edited by Nestakyo

Another staple of Feng is that he basically uses only a couple of standard bruhes. Custom brushes are not the way to good art, I think they can help save some time when you know the fundamentals.