Sprony

House of Cards

Was an interesting season. I thought that where they went with various plotlines was excellent and sets up the potential for an incredible season four, but you guys are right there was a huge scaling-back of Frank's ruthlessness. In fact, while his furious anger occasionally showed through the cracks, you might say that he was very presidential.

It's going to be fascinating seeing where the Frank/Claire conflict goes. It's too late/early for her to contend him as president as I thought might happen after she vomited early during the season, but I can definitely see her screwing with him politically. It's also good to see Doug back to what he does best, although holy shit that was a horrible conclusion to the Rachel storyline.

On 20-3-2015 at 11:48 PM, Thrik said:

Was an interesting season. I thought that where they went with various plotlines was excellent and sets up the potential for an incredible season four, but you guys are right there was a huge scaling-back of Frank's ruthlessness. In fact, while his furious anger occasionally showed through the cracks, you might say that he was very presidential.

Talking about ruthlessness, season 4 hits it out of the ball park. What a season! What an ending! Best season so far!

Spoiler

I love it how Frank intimidates Durant. One of the best scenes of the show!

I watched the first episode but it was really slow, House of Cards usually takes a few episodes to pick up, hopefully this season won't disappoint :)

I finished season 5

Spoiler

Overall the first half felt like filler episodes, then they crammed a season worth of content into the last episodes. I think Jane Davis and Mark Usher characters could have been introduced better, felt like they were shoehorned in a bit too fast. The most interesting thing though was during the inauguration where you see Mark Usher wave at the viewer, a nice nod to the first season when Frank Underwood did the same when Garret Walker was inaugurated. A nice bit of foreshadowing as well. I hope the next season will be the last one, it will only turn to shit if they drag it out too long. At least Frank Underwood will be on the offensive again :)

Finished as well couple days ago and agree with @Pampers, there was the feeling a couple characters came out of nowhere, what is rendered very well is that they have their own agenda, you can feel the ruthlessly.

I was confused AF with Jane Davis initially cos at first she made me think of a character from Designated Survivor, this spoilt it a bit.

Overall/first impression was of a great season, I think better than last, but pacing was a bit off and for me there's a general feeling of "deus ex machina", solutions to the different threads come down a bit too magically.

Apparently the show has been cancelled after sex accusations emerge against Kevin Spacey. In responding to the accusations Spacey also came out as gay.

I’m as well puzzled by the “Netflix wanted to cancel for a while [and was just looking for an excuse]”. Has the show become too expensive to produce?

12 hours ago, Beck said:

Could people just stop sexually abusing other people already? 

You'd hope that people would know this basic rule already.

I am so disappointed. I've always enjoyed Kevin Spacey's work and absolutely loved House of Cards. I admit that at first my bias was towards Spacey and thinking it was just some people wanting headlines — the same trap that I guess many victims of powerful people fall into — but as with other high-profile individuals recently the accusations have been consistent, numerous, and from people with their own successful show business careers who have no reason to make this stuff up.

So basically it seems pretty beyond doubt that Spacey has assaulted these people, and yet how does that leave my enjoyment of his films and shows, and my intention to enjoy rewatching them again in the future? It's the whole separation of artist and art thing I suppose. At what point do you draw the line? Is it possible or moral to enjoy the work of a scumbag? Personally I refuse to listen to any Chris Brown music even though a lot of it is quite good, because he's an abusive violent bastard. But I find it hard to apply this same strictness to what seems to be an endlessly increasing circle of ethically compromised celebrities and their films/music/tv shows/games. Jeez.

17 minutes ago, Thrik said:

I am so disappointed. I've always enjoyed Kevin Spacey's work and absolutely loved House of Cards. I admit that at first my bias was towards Spacey and thinking it was just some people wanting headlines — the same trap that I guess many victims of powerful people fall into — but as with other high-profile individuals recently the accusations have been consistent, numerous, and from people with their own successful show business careers who have no reason to make this stuff up.

So basically it seems pretty beyond doubt that Spacey has assaulted these people, and yet how does that leave my enjoyment of his films and shows, and my intention to enjoy rewatching them again in the future? It's the whole separation of artist and art thing I suppose. At what point do you draw the line? Is it possible or moral to enjoy the work of a scumbag? Personally I refuse to listen to any Chris Brown music even though a lot of it is quite good, because he's an abusive violent bastard. But I find it hard to apply this same strictness to what seems to be an endlessly increasing circle of ethically compromised celebrities and their films/music/tv shows/games. Jeez.

I feel much the same with Lost Prophets. I grew up loving their music, and they're still in my top 10 on Last.fm I listened to them that much in my teenage years. Then it came out that the lead singer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Watkins_(Lostprophets) for those of you out of the loop) was a child rapist and I can't bring myself to listen to them anymore. 

Same dilemma @Thrik :(

we have grown to like him so it’s very hard to come to terms with this. Like you say it can feel at first that someone wants to catch headlines.

saw this the other day in the shop:

F2AA54F6-F715-414A-BCB0-E79FE1A5A731.jpeg.4b181e1bf4e89e845e29bbf392218a51.jpeg

Its no justification but if true gives some background.