text_fish

Buying a gaming laptop :o

I can take a look at yours in person, but mostly as an excuse to get out the house and do something.

Yep the ROG, online order from... Overclockers or something like that, have to check. It's a British shop anyway, from Nottingham i think.

RIP that laptop. It seems to be unavailable everywhere!

Yours does have a few goodies, but the latest version of the Gigabyte P35W (v3) has pretty much the same guts. Where it counts mainly anyway, CPU / GPU and you can get a subversion with more RAM, up to 16GB if you so feel. The screen is 15" @ 1080p, but you really don't need more!

It's also a lot slimmer at 21mm uniformly across the chassis, but the cooling won't be as effective.

I can't understate how important it is to not cheap out on a laptop for the sake of longevity, but if you're aiming at about £1k, anything should last, especially with the latest intel chips being uber power efficient.

Wasn't there an issue with gigabytes boiling? Size of mine is a pain, but got to say runs cool after hours of gaming.

Let's finish installing UE4 and see how UT runs.

Edited by blackdog

Though I would update this. I ended up getting the Asus ROG 16gb. It went on discount at 200 pounds off so i picked it up. So far no complaints and I am quite happy with it, especially how quiet it is. I expected it to sound like a helicopter, but if there is any other noise in the room like a TV or some such, then you don't hear anything. Does produce a lot of heat though so its not really usable on your lap.

Does produce a lot of heat though so its not really usable on your lap.

Does it?? 970M or 980M?

I have tried only once to play FC4 in bed so don't remember... for everything else I like just watched 3 episodes of Walking Dead and despite it sitting on the duvet it is just tepid.

Does it?? 970M or 980M?

Ah yes! This reminds me! I had a bit of an issue with my screen, and after a string of cock-ups by Gigabyte and their supporting partners they replaced the entire laptop. Same model, but the revised version has a 970M instead of the 870M.

Bonus get!

Regarding the potential overheating, you can always mess with the power profiles to avoid increased battery consumption and heat.

Be sure to invest in a laptop cooling pad if you have not done so already; they'll greatly reduce overheating and extend the life of the laptop and prevent premature failure (happened before on 1 of my laptops that used to generate considerable heat)

I should have the very same model Skybex has (except VGA maybe), and for my experience it doesn't overheat… doesn't reach any temperature (chassis) that I've experienced in other laptops really.

So I'm wondering I've been very lucky or he hasn't(?)

Ah I didn't mean the laptop itself over heats, I mean it spits out a lot of heat from the back if you are playing a resource intensive game or something. The back of it is like a hairdryer while the laptop itself stays cool. But because of that you wouldn't want to put it on your lap as it will cook your legs.

It's normal it produces that much heat, I was skeptical at first, but then I had a physics exercise on that yesterday, and well thank god for the cooling system microchips and all that stuff wouldn't last for long otherwise!

How do you hold the laptop Skybex to get cooked by the fans on the back? :P

Anyway laptop lap rests are very good idea, these big ones are heavy and you need to distribute the weight, otherwise blood circulation could be a problem. For this I do very rare sessions of this big machine in my lap. This in particular has the little "feet" so it might be even painful.

Third thing is the electro magnetic statics, there are some specifically designed laptop rests that promise to shield you from that.

Here seems appropriate without opening another thread.

Anyone has ever bought a bed table stand? For something bulky as a 17". Not sure if I'd want to use the mouse as well... on amazon there are stands that have an additional support, but uhm.

I just ordered one of these for traveling mostly, and will allow me to easily play dota2 tournaments on my tv, it's not a full on gaming laptop, but it will run older games like Skyrim, Sc2 and Civ well enough, wanted something light and small that doesn't get to hot/loud, no other real choices for ultrabooks that have a dedicated gpu. Don't want to spend 3k for a laptop either, because my desktop PC is so powerful already :)

81DgbtgjxjL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X409AN6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Edited by 2d-chris