text_fish

Buying a gaming laptop :o

Because as I said previously it's my only gaming machine Dux.

I would have been much happier getting a small form PC with 900£+24/27" display, but I would waste entire days when I'm off and visit my gf (we have mismatching days off most of the time, so she'd be at work).

I would have ended up spending about the same.

It wasn't a lighthearted decision at all, I still wonder if I should have just gotten the desktop… but my 2008 MacBook it's clearly showing the signs of time and I can't afford a desktop now + eventually a new MacBook…

Edited by blackdog

Nice!

Be sure to share your experience with it (especially in regards to gamedev related stuff), I'm looking to buy a similar one in 1-2 months.

Thanks!

Well I'm a noob, and I have only some Hammer literacy, so the idea is to finally publish something for Source and start learning the latest tools :) I will try reporting the performances on there.

Edited by blackdog

Why spend so much on a laptop?

Because otherwise you'll be just getting a paperweight which can barely play CS1.6 with high-fps config.  :???:

Uh... not quite. But okay.

I don't blame you man. If you're a little more mobile then using a gaming laptop is perfectly legit. If need be, you can always plug in a mouse and keyboard anyway :)

I would have ended up spending about the same.

I honestly doubt that. From the quoting I did back a few months ago I would have spent around 900£ for a good PC… then I wouldn't spend less then 250£ on a display, cos I would want something good and lasting so…

For someone who truly needs that level of portability the price is worth it, and with those specs, you'll be set for a good few years.

I hope you are happy with your purchase but be sure to strap it down, it looks like it might take off! :P

the problem with my gaming la[top isn't performance or price, its the god damned noise the fans and dv drive make in gaming or movie operation. It's like a hair drier. I hope the newer laptops have found a way to be MUCH quieter. Noise is the one thing that is hard if not impossible to judge on a spec sheet. 

Hey guys, I wanted to stress the machine more, but since the discussion is ongoing I can give a first impressions.

When I opened it the first day I had the impression keybord was a bit lousy and that construction leaves something to desire in a few details, in particular i've noticed on the front bezel, where palmrest and chassis meet, there's a minimal gap (you can see some light from the from status leds), which annoyed me because if you spend so much...

But I used it a few days and palmrest is solid* and keyboard is not bad at all for typing.

What I'm most impressed is the cooling department: I've played Far Cry 4 maxed out and the machine is absolutely cool to the touch, I think the GPU/CPU are located to the right where the unuseful numpad is cos it's the only area where you can feel to be tiepid. Good news is that it's also not noisy at all! I will have to pay more attention but first impression is that fans don't go crazy like on my old Macbook trying to digest Youtube even when gaming, definitely not audible on top of the speakers/headphones (and I've only used the iPhone earbuds); when idle/browsing is very silent.

A small complaint might be that keyboard illumination has just 3 levels of brightness and is not as nicely distributed like on Macbooks, but the WASD keys have a transparent bevel so they are easier to find in the dark.

The other complaint would be the audio department: it's advertised as some stereo cool technology while it has only one speaker (grill) so you will notice that, but on the other hand there's some software enhancement when you connect an external system, a window pops up asking what you are connecting, and the 2+1 JBL speakers I have definitely have a more rich sound that i've experienced until now!

*although would be nice if all laptops had moved to the "unibody" design instea of having an outer shell that cointains everything

PS: you are probably used to this by now, but it's fucking fast! Win 8 + SSD, and it boots in what feels like 3 seconds. It's almost as waking up a modern tablet from sleep. Hope performance don't drop.

I am tempted to buy an SSD since the amazing sale on Amazon (Samsung EVO 840 are almost 50% off) but I think this machine mounts a PCIE SSD, which I'm afraid I can't move to the old Macbook to give it some new life.

Edited by blackdog

I haven't modded it yet, but is not like you see the start screen a lot, when your main sw is all linked through the taskbar.

Have to say I actually like the Metro style quite a lot, I like the live tiles… I cant wrap my head around the fact that MS thought the system was ok like that: 2hrs of user testing would be enough to understand that you can't have a one-size-fits-all. The New Start would be fine if it was just a launcher, leaving you the taskbar there. And whattahell, how come that on windows phone you can change background and have transparent tiles, while on a PC you can't, even if 8.1 has been basically advertised as a major release.

And let's not talk about the fact that Metro is sandboxed away, that you can run 2 different skype at the same time -_-

Edited by blackdog

Windows 8 doesn't need modding... You press the windows key on <8 and you had a menu, now that menu is just full screen which I don't even use it, I boot straight to desktop and to access things like control panel, right click the start button and you get a full range of tools.

If you know anything about windows and it's window key shortcuts, win8 is just a better OS.

Running 2 versions of skype isn't necessarily bad as it just allows you to run it the way you use win8, you can also launch chrome in "windows 8 mode" which is super useful /sarcasm

The only thing I'm sad about is the removal of the windows indexing system, but that's seriously trivial.

I think Microsoft have received an unfair amount of flak for win8. People expected this to be a bad release and have done nothing but look for things wrong with it