text_fish

Buying a gaming laptop :o

Make no mistake, the build quality of the GIGABYTE P35 is fantastic, and as non-apple laptops go I personally think it's pretty easy on the eye. Slightly gaudy stickers on the screen bezel, and the bezel itself is a bit large and plasticy, but yeah...

I've had a Dell Studio 1749 which is literally a tank despite being very plastic and a little mismatched in some of the moulded parts, but this thing just keeps going! The gigabyte is honestly a great build, and I reckon it will have comparable if not better longevity.

Isn't buying a gaming laptop like buying a limo to use it off road? Shit is bound to break cos it's doing things that no matter what manufacturers try, they're not meant to because of heat basically? 

nah, maybe if you cut corners or choose a shitty manufacturer, but as I once saw on a forum (may be slightly paraphrased, but you get the point):

Choose any 2 of the following 3 when finding a powerful laptop:
  • high performance
  • easily portable
  • low price

I chose the first 2! :D

Build quality doesn't feature in the list as it depends on the manufacturer. I think ASUS have fantastic build quality in any of their range, budget to premium, but MSi are fairly... poor, regardless of price. My friend had an MSi notebook and you could literally pick it apart with your nails. We would take bets on which part had dropped off the next day in colllege

Edited by jackophant

Yeah that P35 looks pretty minimal, I quite like it! (I don't understand why manufacturers keep positioning the touchpad to the left instead of the middle.)

Anyway, I haven't seen mentioning Alienware or the Asus ROG (Republic Of Gamers) series: any opinion?

When i first looked at these machines, Alienware even had an HDMI input... which would very interesting for me: if possible I'd love to be able to use the computer as a screen for the X360 (atm I have to keep it in the staff shared sitting room and so I'm able to use less often than I'd like). Anyone knows if it works?

~

An alternative to go big with a 17" for me would be go portability, choose a 14" and also buy a 24-27" display for my room, and just do what I can when at my gf. But other than the screen estate, I am more keen on a 17" cos they usually pack the top tier hw, being wider they should be able to dissipate a bit better the heat...

~

Have any direct experience with these? Edited by blackdog

Yes I built my current laptop with them for £700. Being able to pick your own parts is the only way to go with a laptop, same as a PC really. The only thing I need to do is get another stick of ram as single channel isn't amazing, but that's easy to fix.

Edited by dux

Only 700£? I take you're not using it for mapping?

On the train I was browsing and what I'm liking is that they have newer CPU+GPU than Alienware and Asus ROG that cost the same.

Edited by blackdog

Alienware tend to have silly base prices/models that imo don't make sense ie: laptop starting at £1100 with an i3...

ASUS RoG laptops are huge slabs of technology. They have a nice slim one out, but it seems to be everywhere but UK.

17" laptops are also heavy. They may list a weight which sounds perfectly reasonable, but when you throw that in a bag and drag it around, it feels 3x as heavy. I know from experience taking mine to college and back every day for a year...

I also don't think that the hardware is usually that much better, most of the price increase is the additional screen real estate.

I would say that 17" is a desktop replacement through and through. If you need to be mobile, go for 15" and 14"/13" if real estate isnt massively important but I'm guessing from the nature of this forum the 14/13 are probably less useful.

Only 700£? I take you're not using it for mapping?

On the train I was browsing and what I'm liking is that they have newer CPU+GPU than Alienware and Asus ROG that cost the same.

No using a laptop for serious work is a bad idea. It's for recreation and backup.

Hey guys. I bought the Gigabyte laptop in the end, and can confirm that build quality seems excellent overall, although the DVD drive is a bit awkwardly placed in the front so I occasionally open it by accident, and the wireless adapter is potentially faulty as internet access seems to cut out after 4-5 minutes use -- I'm taking it round a friend's house tonight to try it on his wifi and hopefully confirm whether it's the laptop or my router.

/endupdate

Alienware tend to have silly base prices/models that imo don't make sense ie: laptop starting at £1100 with an i3...

ASUS RoG laptops are huge slabs of technology. They have a nice slim one out, but it seems to be everywhere but UK.

17" laptops are also heavy. They may list a weight which sounds perfectly reasonable, but when you throw that in a bag and drag it around, it feels 3x as heavy. I know from experience taking mine to college and back every day for a year...

I also don't think that the hardware is usually that much better, most of the price increase is the additional screen real estate.

I would say that 17" is a desktop replacement through and through. If you need to be mobile, go for 15" and 14"/13" if real estate isnt massively important but I'm guessing from the nature of this forum the 14/13 are probably less useful.

Ye as I was saying in my last post, I noticed they don't seem to be updated to the latest hw! Looking at what Dux linked, I can't really think of going with those big brands atm. Although, supposedly they should have better build quality(?) I quite like the ROGs designs, they are supposed to dissipate better heat, haven't had time to find reviews -- I've been already quite put off by the fact that they don't have an official online store to buy directly, and configs don't seem to be up to date :/

Concerning the size, just check any shop and on the 17" they start with higher specs or you can configure with the higher.

I don't have a desktop so yes, the idea is to have a workstation, only alternative would go mobile (14"), buy a large display to hook it up when home, and do as best as I can for those couple of days I'm at the gf. It's tempting, but since we also watch stuff on my computer and she has a small TV, kinda makes sense to just buy one thing and lug it around.

If you plan on lugging it around a lot, but working on the move isn't necessary maybe get a mini pc?

Things like the Intel NUC or a little bigger (358mm x 104mm x 61mm = 12.5l case), but seriously fully powered this: ASUS ROG G20AJ (it makes me think of something from the brotherhood of nod!)

I believe faceit were using these for a sponsored stream recently... Also with ASUS in general (RoG included), they never sell directly. That's just how they work for whatever reason.

I settled for this beast: ASUS ROG G751JT-T7019H - 17.3" / i7-4710HQ / Nvidia GTX970 3G / 16G / 1TB 7200 + 128G SSD / BD Read / Win 8.1 64B

14.png

I was undecided with an MSI sporting a GTX980 4gb, but it had half the RAM and no blu ray, plus people where mentioning that MSIs get very hot.

Edited by blackdog