text_fish

Buying a gaming laptop :o

Windows 8 doesn't need modding... You press the windows key on <8 and you had a menu, now that menu is just full screen which I don't even use it, I boot straight to desktop and to access things like control panel, right click the start button and you get a full range of tools.

If you know anything about windows and it's window key shortcuts, win8 is just a better OS.

Running 2 versions of skype isn't necessarily bad as it just allows you to run it the way you use win8, you can also launch chrome in "windows 8 mode" which is super useful /sarcasm

The only thing I'm sad about is the removal of the windows indexing system, but that's seriously trivial.

I think Microsoft have received an unfair amount of flak for win8. People expected this to be a bad release and have done nothing but look for things wrong with it

It looked different, so the "power users" cried.  

Indexing still is there, though, just start typing on the start menu to search.

yo @blackdog,

Will probably also get this one you got.
How happy are you with it? Anything to look out for?

Read some stuff online that the speakers are shit.

Yes they advertise like the speaker have something special, instead sounds very mono because there's one grill on the bottom left :/

That's the only big thumb down I would point out atm. But you are likely to play with headphones or better speakers anyway, right? I have some good JBL 2+1 and very happy of the sw enhancements I get (compared to my mac).

I haven't tested any sdk yet, but FC4 can run at highest settings plus some AF and AA set via nvidia panel. Although I scaled down to high (with AA+AF) cos it got very choppy during some crazy situation of car chase and banging into each other.

I can definitely recommend for the cooling aspect, it has always been running cool, and even more impressively very quiet!

There are details here and there that I would like to see more refined for a machine of this price, but I'm not sure how many pcs do better, and certain things might be limitations caused by windows.

Ah alright - so this sounds like a recommendation :)
Also the screen is really neat, an IPS Panel which has quite cool color values.

Regarding the sound, there's a thread on the official ASUS forums about it. Apparentally there's a driver issue with it, causing really bad sound, but there might be coming a driver update in a few weeks.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54313-G751-Imbalanced-Sound-Problem-OFFICIAL-SUPPORT-THREAD

Yeah I would say yes.

Materials are nice, the machine feels solid. Keyboard seems alright to type, I'm still not used to the eng layout and some function keys seem placed in a bit odd position; I'm more annoyed about the keys being shifted because of the numpad... but that's an issue with all the windows laptops anyway.

Display seems good to me, vivid and bright, I was most impressed with the viewing angle.

wow, reviving this slightly late... just realised what I read. When I said indexing, I meant that rather sad excuse for a performance index that they ran. Gave a score based on lowest sub score.

I'm well aware of being able to type an app/file name on the windows screen.

Also... since that conversation: free windows 10 upgrade for practically anyone with a computer that's <5 years old

wow, reviving this slightly late... just realised what I read. When I said indexing, I meant that rather sad excuse for a performance index that they ran. Gave a score based on lowest sub score.

I'm well aware of being able to type an app/file name on the windows screen.

Also... since that conversation: free windows 10 upgrade for practically anyone with a computer that's <5 years old

hahaha, that thing.  I wanted to look at my number after getting my ssd, was a little sad to see that it was removed.  It could've been a decent benchmark for system requirement stuff, but it was so buried.

hahaha, that thing.  I wanted to look at my number after getting my ssd, was a little sad to see that it was removed.  It could've been a decent benchmark for system requirement stuff, but it was so buried.

SSD's still don't cut it, I managed to test one of my earlier SSDs before I moved to Win8.

I think the best bet for scoring high is to have a large striped RAID setup of the fastest SSDs you can find!

I can point out a very annoying detail of my machine: the dvd drive is very sensible and keeps opening all the time when handling the computer to reposition it, or like now when it's sitting on our laps in bed

I'm looking at buying one of these for 3d work on the go - any thoughts?

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17-7737/pd

I'm a fan of Dells, they're pricing can be a bit wonky sometimes but luckily this seems ok. Would you not maybe want a wee bit more GFX grunt?

Are you sure you want 17"? I got my 17 as a desktop replacement, and it's very cumbersome. Admittedly, this would be lighter, but I map quite happily on my 15".

Pricing seems very honest for that machine, whatever the three. Weights almost 1kg less than mine and I'm sure it's quite thin so I'd say that in bulkyness is acceptable.

Guess it just depends the scenario one has to work in.

I'm already getting fed up of lugging mine around, I mean because I haven't really used it when I was at my gf. In the future I'll move it only if I'm visiting when she's at work or if I'm into some work I need to get done.

Edited by blackdog