knj

The Jurassic World

Director hasn't made anything of note. Had really high hopes for this, trailer looks....ok, was getting going just when it ended. Cautiously optimistic. Does look a bit kiddy friendly again though, how difficult would it be to make a badass 18 rated Jurassic Park?

If Jurassic Park were made today by Legendary Films, this is how it would be.

Killing time while a server script runs...so this makes me think of this:

suit #1: "What makes us sound more important than the word 'epic' to use in the name of our company?"

suit #2: "Yeah there is that game developer in North Carolina called 'Epic Studios' or 'Epic Games' or something. They're pretty successful so we can't use 'epic' in the name of our company since we need our own name and identity and shit."

suit #1: "Yeah, bro, totally agree. All I want is that people think of this company as incredibly important, that we, the executives, are incredibly important people.  What's more, uh, epic, than the word 'epic' itself?"

suit #2: "Goddamn that is a totally important point."

suit #1: "It was a question."

suit #2: "...goddamn you are smart. I mean like epic smart."

suit #1: "I got it. We are legends. We are so goddamn smart it's like we're legends."

suit #2: "Epic. That is totally epic thinking, bro."

suit #1: "Fucking dipshit. We are Legends Films!"

suit #2: "That's totally epi--I mean...uh...legendary. That's a legendary idea."

suit #1: "Legendary Films."

suit #2: ".......................................................epic, bro."

suit #1: "Totally epic."

It's quite ridiculous that the first one that's like 20 years old still looks better, it almost gets more impressive the older it gets.

You can say that again!

This is CG well done:

rex_1080.png

Insert Jeff Goldblum laughing for 10 Minutes here

10676361_10101710948507449_8221250266113

This is going to be either amazing or awful and I seriously can't tell which.

The concept is really good, in some ways reboot-ish (i.e. sweet-ass dinosaur park that initially feels safe goes to shit) without disrespecting the original by trying to retell it. This is much preferable to what the earlier sequels did, which was just show more of the 'gone to shit'. For me, the original was so great precisely because of the breakdown happening before my eyes. Similarly to why Half-Life worked so well, with Black Mesa initially being this incredible safe haven that very quickly becomes a living hell.

Some bits of CGI bothered me, but I can't tell if that's because I'm looking at this on an iPad.

The CGI isn't finished yet, its got another 5-6 months of time to get right. But I still agree, the original movie looks so much better.

The last 2 movies were disappointments. The Lost world had so much potential to be perfect, but nope. (sometimes I just want to see Lost World remade into something better, on the original island, but that will never happen.)

The CGI isn't finished yet, its got another 5-6 months of time to get right.

I'll wager that a "we'll fix it in post" attitude is exactly why the FX look like something from the asylum lol

GOTG was no where near as bad as Jurassic World, but same situation.

RxhqvUF.jpg 

WWZ suffered from the same thing, CGI was terribad first trailer, then when I watched the movie, the CGI was pretty impressive. Jurassic World looks likes its going overboard with CGI, which wont impress me. That giant Croc thing was just silly.

At first I was like

R5W64IV.gif

I was excited for this when I saw the teaser, but the moment I heard "hybrid" in the trailer I kinda lost a bit of that excitement. I wish they'd just stick to plain old dinosaurs but I guess this is a new movie for a new generation. They'll never top the first one in my eyes.

I'll still go and see it because dinosaurs. And the main theme music.

This is CG well done:

rex_1080.png

If you need any reminder of how good the CG and compositing in jurassic park is, remember that the jeep in this shot is also CG. This is before stuff like ambient occlusion and digital color grading even existed

It's quite ridiculous that the first one that's like 20 years old still looks better, it almost gets more impressive the older it gets.

You can say that again!

This is CG well done:

rex_1080.png

A lot of the shots are real animatronics, it's the combination of real, cgi and clever tricks that works. They have all the lighting and material information in the set to get the CGI dinosaur looking just right. Without that reference it's a guessing game.

Also, when you keep swapping around CGI, real life and matte paintings, the scene becomes very hard to work out, they cut quickly so you usually don't have time to figure it out. 

Allot of shots in the movie are real - CGI only enhanced what could not be done practically. 

It's great to see some modern movies doing this again.

Edited by 2d-chris