Nomad6

[CE3] Black Forest environment(WIP)

Hi Mapcore!

For my graduation year i got tasked to create an environment. A large part of the task is implementing a research aspect. In my case, learning CryEngine 3.

I decided to create an environment somewhat based on the black forest in Germany but felt like doing something with a coastal line since that seems to be a big part of working with this engine.

Although i'm far from finished, i would love some feedback on my work so far. Hopefully some of you have some experience with CryEngine and point me in the right direction. Especially when it comes to the overall atmosphere.

While it warrants a seperate thread, i'm gonna place my portfolio here aswell. I'm currently looking for an internship and have to get my portfolio looking purdy so feel free to comment on that aswell :)  http://www.tomivens.com

zVktPg3.png

qa5HqQX.png

HZi5coU.png

TU5ZdeS.png

7fwyE6t.png

It looks really flat and the colors are pretty bland, common man it's a forest, you can make it way more beautiful if you add a lot of nice colors and a nice lighting that go trough the leaves.

You should also work on a 'focus' point in your scene, putting some random shots of a forest isn't interesting, make something like a really hold barn, an antenna station, a waterfall, idk, but think about a central piece, and work around that, with a nice landscape behind, it will looks amazing. If you are making a scene, always think about a story behind your pictures.

crow_creek_falls_1.1.jpg

tumblr_mdnhxe2vBZ1r0b2fgo1_500.jpg

77c4cd0648ced29229fac3e25a9b13d7.jpg

tumblr_n3e0m5SiRi1shfgjao1_1280.jpg

mountain_forest_by_kittysyellowjacket-d5

So please, add some colors already.

That looks already better ! What about adding some colors ? A small amount of yellow and blue one some ferns/pine trees can break the monotony of the scene, the amount of green is nice imo, but it's still too grey :)

I like where you're going with this scene and I like your portfolio. A few comments regarding it: 

• Downloading of screenshots seems to be broken. 
  • If there is a provider that allows you to embed high-res videos, and not too much work to implement, I'd go with that (instead of vimeo).
  • Bigger versions of the screenshots would be nice to see.
  • Individual renders of your best art assets would be interesting.

Keep up the good work!

Is this on CryEngine or CryEngine 3? If it isn't CryEngine download a copy of CryEngine and copy the level over, there are much better vegetation assets in it than the ones you are using. Should have all the grass and bushes/ferns that my level used in Ryse.

Obviously you are going for a different mood but the ground assets are the same but look better with more variety, you should also be able to place far more of them as I would assume your PC is more powerful than an XboxOne.

(ignore the motion blur)

190e26_2d9f15a2a13a4216b6e5474a6ab75141.

Edited by Vilham

Thank you guys for the feedback! It's gonna prove useful, no doubt.

If dark wet and depressing is your goal then you definitely achieved it!

Indeed this was my goal. Glad it's coming across :)

Is this on CryEngine or CryEngine 3?

CryEngine 3. This is scene is my graduation work for college and unfortunately they expect me to create most of the assets myself.
I should really make a better effort for my vegetation. Your work has given me a couple of ideas. Ty for that :)

Btw 'k heb nog met u in DAE in klas gezeten :)

Aha Angelino! It's been a while. How are you?

The big question i have at this point: What could/should i add to this scene to improve on it? Apart from the feedback ofcourse.
I was thinking of maybe placing a rusty car next to the cabin, something like that.  

Edited by Nomad6

Ah if you made them yourself good job, vegetation is hard to get right. The guy who made the stuff for Ryse is probably one of the best in the industry so don't worry if your stuff doesn't quite hit that high.

Can't offer any advice on how to make them as I have no idea.

Honestly the amount of colors in the scene really depends on the mood he wants to portray. 

If dark wet and depressing is your goal then you definitely achieved it! (looks awesome so far btw)

You can make something varied color wise, and still have a depressing mood, I don't tell him to make something in pink and ultra flashy but just to add some variation because it doesn't looks like a real forest atm imo.

Edited by RaVaGe

Honestly the amount of colors in the scene really depends on the mood he wants to portray. 

If dark wet and depressing is your goal then you definitely achieved it! (looks awesome so far btw)

You can make something varied color wise, and still have a depressing mood, I don't tell him to make something in pink and ultra flashy but just to add some variation because it doesn't looks like a real forest atm imo.

The lack of color variation is starting to bother me a little bit. Atm i'm trying to figure out to make material variations or something similar.

My experience with CryEngine3 is limited to this project so i'll have to do some more research on the subject. Ty for the input so far :)