Overwatch

Mazy

Ive played so much Overwatch recently! ( Got about 1600 hours played by now 😅😅

Got me thinkin how i don't get tired of the same maps, me and my friend always discuss what map we hope for in the loading screen and we always seem to hope for different maps. The only one i dont enjoy as much as the others is Paris.

Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful. But i think that the chokes are too tight (compared to Hanamura where you have the left window as an attacker to play around). I remember feeling the same about Horizon in the beginning, but now i really like that map too after it got revamped a bit.

Also, i don't know why but we both seem to enjoy Watchpoint: Gibraltar as attackers but not as defenders. Have no idea why tho!

Once it was announced i wasn't really that into it. I did not see the fun in the game, but then i got the beta.. Oh boy. I really can't wait for the sequel and new heroes/maps. 

14 hours ago, Tisky said:

Ive played so much Overwatch recently! ( Got about 1600 hours played by now 😅😅

Got me thinkin how i don't get tired of the same maps, me and my friend always discuss what map we hope for in the loading screen and we always seem to hope for different maps. The only one i dont enjoy as much as the others is Paris.

Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful. But i think that the chokes are too tight (compared to Hanamura where you have the left window as an attacker to play around). I remember feeling the same about Horizon in the beginning, but now i really like that map too after it got revamped a bit.

Also, i don't know why but we both seem to enjoy Watchpoint: Gibraltar as attackers but not as defenders. Have no idea why tho!

Once it was announced i wasn't really that into it. I did not see the fun in the game, but then i got the beta.. Oh boy. I really can't wait for the sequel and new heroes/maps. 

I was thinking about why our maps are so replayable the other day too, compared to other games I've played. This is a completely subjective answer, but I think one of the major reasons is the amount of themes we have in maps. For example, in Hanamura you have the city (which is made of just a few reusable buildings), the dojo and then the temple. Basically 4 or 5 different main themes (city, garden, dojo, temple + futuristic city in the backdrop). For Numbani, it's even more uniform, with small variations here and there. In a way, this makes these maps less overwhelming to take in, since the brain doesn't need to comprehend so many different structures/themes/surfaces, while at the same time trying to think of strategies and react to the action in the map. That takes a lot of brain power! Having more controlled and well defined themes also help a ton with navigation, so you don't have to think too much when running around the map.

As comparison, I played a bit of Rogue Company the other day (the environment art looks sick in that game!), but I found that the maps suffered from too many different themes. I remember a map that took place in an skyscraper, and inside the skyscraper you had a mall, a car museum, an egyptian museum, a Mesopotamian museum and a rooftop garden (if I remember correctly). It was very overwhelming to navigate, since there were too many different details and themes.

This argument can also be said about CS. The most replayed maps are usually the ones with more uniform and easily comprehendible themes, such as Dust, Aztec, Inferno (especially the old one), Nuke, Assault etc...

There's a sweet spot when a map is not too simple and not too complex, and while art is a major component, level design and lighting play huge roles too. I was never a big fan of Prodigy, while it looked cool, the design was very complex and sprawling and the lighting was very uniform throughout the map (this is another criticism I have for a lot of new CS:GO maps that I see these days, they are all uniformly lit, with little sense of direction).

Anyways, this is a good subject to jam over some beers :D 

14 hours ago, Minos said:

I was thinking about why our maps are so replayable the other day too, compared to other games I've played. This is a completely subjective answer, but I think one of the major reasons is the amount of themes we have in maps. For example, in Hanamura you have the city (which is made of just a few reusable buildings), the dojo and then the temple. Basically 4 or 5 different main themes (city, garden, dojo, temple + futuristic city in the backdrop). For Numbani, it's even more uniform, with small variations here and there. In a way, this makes these maps less overwhelming to take in, since the brain doesn't need to comprehend so many different structures/themes/surfaces, while at the same time trying to think of strategies and react to the action in the map. That takes a lot of brain power! Having more controlled and well defined themes also help a ton with navigation, so you don't have to think too much when running around the map.

As comparison, I played a bit of Rogue Company the other day (the environment art looks sick in that game!), but I found that the maps suffered from too many different themes. I remember a map that took place in an skyscraper, and inside the skyscraper you had a mall, a car museum, an egyptian museum, a Mesopotamian museum and a rooftop garden (if I remember correctly). It was very overwhelming to navigate, since there were too many different details and themes.

This argument can also be said about CS. The most replayed maps are usually the ones with more uniform and easily comprehendible themes, such as Dust, Aztec, Inferno (especially the old one), Nuke, Assault etc...

There's a sweet spot when a map is not too simple and not too complex, and while art is a major component, level design and lighting play huge roles too. I was never a big fan of Prodigy, while it looked cool, the design was very complex and sprawling and the lighting was very uniform throughout the map (this is another criticism I have for a lot of new CS:GO maps that I see these days, they are all uniformly lit, with little sense of direction).

Anyways, this is a good subject to jam over some beers :D 

Well said! Personnaly i also feel that the "cartoony feel" reminds me alot of the enviroment in games i loved when i was younger. Monkey Island, Simon the Sorcerer etc. Colorful.

It feels like im playing a place in the games world rather than a map with limits. I still want to visit the rest of Blizzard world haha.