Mazy

Overwatch

Didn't want to make a new topic just for this but ActiBlizz are firing almost 800 staff after a record year financially

In today's fourth-quarter 2018 earnings report, Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick wrote that while the company's financial results for 2018 "were the best in our history, we didn't realise our full potential".

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/1999-11-30-activision-blizzard-confirms-it-will-lay-off-approximately-8-percent-of-staff

They say it's from under-performing areas but what a kick in the teeth :( Hope everyone lands on their feet ok.

6 hours ago, [HP] said:

New map is out boyz and gurlz

Wowee once again we are treated to the "1920s-1980s building and fashion styles that would be over a 100 years old at this point in the game but hey its the 2070s just slap some blue lights on everything" style of map

All the cars look like older models from the 19th century, but now they float!

All the signs and ads are painted directly on the building, even though that style died out because of how quickly it fades and peals, but hey its now with robots!

All the buildings look they are from an age long since past, even though newer architecture tends to overtake older buildings fairly quickly in larger cities and this is set in 2070s (fair enough for Cuba though)

That said I appreciate that they actually seemed to figure out that roads are supposed to lead somewhere, not just from attackers first spawn to defenders last spawn, and while it is a bit too early to tell, they seemed to restrain themselves and only put the death pits in reasonable place that make sense in the context of the map.

1 hour ago, fewseb said:

Wowee once again we are treated to the "1920s-1980s building and fashion styles that would be over a 100 years old at this point in the game but hey its the 2070s just slap some blue lights on everything" style of map

All the cars look like older models from the 19th century, but now they float!

All the signs and ads are painted directly on the building, even though that style died out because of how quickly it fades and peals, but hey its now with robots!

All the buildings look they are from an age long since past, even though newer architecture tends to overtake older buildings fairly quickly in larger cities and this is set in 2070s (fair enough for Cuba though)

That said I appreciate that they actually seemed to figure out that roads are supposed to lead somewhere, not just from attackers first spawn to defenders last spawn, and while it is a bit too early to tell, they seemed to restrain themselves and only put the death pits in reasonable place that make sense in the context of the map.

stfu ?

@fewseb I like it when they merge new and old; for christs sake you can play as a monkey, realisticity is not on Blizzard's radar. However, what I dislike is when they go too far to one side of the mix of generations like the helicopter pad in the final shot. Also Blizzard is super uncreative when it comes to having excuses for things to be where they are, reusing roads sandwiched closely by buildings over and over again for payload. In terms of actual map design Blizzard is  very call-of-duty esque, leveraging the tried and tested formula over and over, never pushing the envelope in fear of community push back:

Spoiler

STRIKING RESEMBLANCE

Image result for overwatch map overheadImage result for overwatch map overheadImage result for overwatch map overhead

Edited by Interfearance

9 hours ago, RaVaGe said:

stfu ?

no

2 hours ago, Interfearance said:

@fewseb I like it when they merge new and old; for christs sake you can play as a monkey, realisticity is not on Blizzard's radar. However, what I dislike is when they go too far to one side of the mix of generations like the helicopter pad in the final shot. Also Blizzard is super uncreative when it comes to having excuses for things to be where they are, reusing roads sandwiched closely by buildings over and over again for payload. In terms of actual map design, they are pathetic, considering that half the heroes can fly, yet 90% of their maps have no difficult skill jumps or really anything that makes a play on varied mobility. Its very call-of-duty esque, leveraging the tried and tested formula over and over, never pushing the envelope in fear of community push back:

Reveal hidden contents

STRIKING RESEMBLANCE

Image result for overwatch map overheadImage result for overwatch map overheadImage result for overwatch map overhead

Listen I get its an appealing style, just why has it been that for the past 3 maps, there other things you can do with Venice / Paris / Havana other then "look old thing from the 50s!"

Im not asking why none of their door frames make any sense or why they dont have any actual doors, I get it they have to fit a wide variety of characters through those doors, so they have to be a square shape to accommodate those.

But why does a map called Route 66, not actually have a Route 66? I mean sure they can spam that sign prop all they want, but its not a route if it goes directly into a shipping warehouse with no other turnoffs. How hard would have been to get rid of that worthless and nonsensical deathpit over by the defenses first spawn, and just have the road continue on with a barrier in front of it. The road to the warehouse would be a turn off instead of being the one place the Route goes.

Why is Nubani set on top of an artificial plateau where the one road on the map literally only leads from the air port to the museum? It would just be impractical to design a city that way, instead of say having a layered city, which could make sense, they chose to have a giant concrete plateau in the middle of this city, that somehow houses an airport and the reason they did this was because that death pit on the right side of the map was so important to have in the whole two areas it was present.

Theres just these little things that you start to notice about every OW map when you arnt having fun. Good gameplay will distract you from how unrealistic a scenario is, but when your getting shield bashed by brigette every 5 seconds and youre spending half the time walking back to the battle from the respawn room, you start to notice, oh yeah how are people supposed to live and work in the map when theres only one road that goes two places and then ends, but theirs like 6 cars that could drive at most 8 blocks before hitting the other end of the road.

Id like to hear what their reasoning is on this, because based off their time-lapse vids from making maps, they seem to sacrifice grey box game-play for aesthetic a lot.

Also, slight tangent but what is with the naming schemes for OW maps? It seems like they dont want to name anything after real-life places, hence why its Kings Row not London, but then they have Paris and Havana, but they named the Venice map Rialto, even though Rialto bridge isnt even on that map.

Edited by fewseb

I like to think that Overwatch maps are abstract virtual spaces (though I do my best to imagine they are a real place to make them feel as believable as I can). If we would just make "realistic" maps (sacrificing gameplay so the roads can go where it "makes sense") these maps would have the worst gameplay ever :P  Gameplay comes first, the map art is just a "skin" on top to make you feel like you are in a real place, but it's obviously not a real place, it's all smoke and mirrors and lots of little techniques to convey spatial awareness and navigation. It's all an illusion, so we can cram as many ideas as possible in a small place. For example, "in reality" the farm in Junkertown would be miles away from the city itself. But who would like to play that? Here's some food for thought:

Some of your feedback is very valid though and we will keep it in mind :)

Editing:

Btw, I completely forgot to post this here, but I gave a talk on Digital Dragons last year about how we blockout our maps and the power of keeping things simple, by using Junkertown as an example :)