Mazy

Overwatch

Watched a stream from Blizzcon for a while, her "transposer" has a five second cooldown, which seems really short, but it has a long "cast" time as she physically throws it, and teleports to wherever it is when she presses the button, so I'm expecting to see lots of hilarious failed emergency Sombra escapes to two feet away in midair in the PTR.

Her ability to hack medkits seems incredibly powerful though, a huge shutdown for single healer teams and Tracer play. Not only does it prevent the enemy team from using that point for one minute, it also makes the medkit regenerate every five seconds instead of every thirty as normal. I'm betting that gets nerfed in some way before she goes live.

Time will tell how Sombra will fare in the game. I don't really endorse the design of having Invisibility in a fast paced shooter. Invisibility just lowers the fun factor.

On 11/9/2016 at 4:27 PM, WD said:

Time will tell how Sombra will fare in the game. I don't really endorse the design of having Invisibility in a fast paced shooter. Invisibility just lowers the fun factor.

It's, thankfully, way way more limited than the TF2 Spy. Sombra could be powerful once people learn to play her, but right now she's basically a mediocre Tracer.

They pushed out the PTR patch and Sombra to the main game a couple days ago, with its changes basically identical to the PTR, despite saying they wanted a longer test period with faster adjustments. I don't blame them, though: Anecdotally, based on matchmaking and queue times, I don't think many people played the PTR, especially outside the first couple days and the bump for Sombra, so they wouldn't have nearly enough player feedback to do otherwise. Still, the patch is pretty okay, except Sombra's ability to lock down health kits is kinda OP, while the rest of her kit is kinda meh (mostly because people can't play her). Soldier might be a bit overpowered, seeming him 2:1 vs McCree picks this week. Zarya doesn't seem to be hurt by her nerfs, in the eyes of the people who play her, though.

6 minutes ago, Jetsetlemming said:

They pushed out the PTR patch and Sombra to the main game a couple days ago, with its changes basically identical to the PTR, despite saying they wanted a longer test period with faster adjustments. I don't blame them, though: Anecdotally, based on matchmaking and queue times, I don't think many people played the PTR, especially outside the first couple days and the bump for Sombra, so they wouldn't have nearly enough player feedback to do otherwise. Still, the patch is pretty okay, except Sombra's ability to lock down health kits is kinda OP, while the rest of her kit is kinda meh (mostly because people can't play her). Soldier might be a bit overpowered, seeming him 2:1 vs McCree picks this week. Zarya doesn't seem to be hurt by her nerfs, in the eyes of the people who play her, though.

Right, all the little tweaks feel pretty ok to me so far on competitive. People seem to be loving Soldier, he used to deal 17hp per bullet, he now deals 20, which is a massive boost specially since he's a hitscan hero. I also love the feeling of pharah now, much more responsive, I started playing her a lot more.

Did you guys try the new Antarctica map on arcade? Playing 1on1 and 3on3 is a much different dynamic to the game.

I find the 1v1 really frustrating, because of my hero preferences and because kinda dumb random matchups like D.Va vs D.Va, where the first mech to blow up tends to lead to that hero winning. 3v3 is pretty fun, though. I don't think either have lasting appeal compared to full games though, especially with the single map.

Whenever there is three of us on we tend to do 3v3 now. It's very enjoyable if people aren't shouting at you for picking objectively stupid line-ups. It's not a mode to take super serious IMO. The map is cool (no puns intended), although almost everyone has jumped on the catwalk railings for some height and slipped off :P 

Sombra seems strong in theory. However, as an invisibility hero she's not too scary, her objective is sabotage and harassment rather than assassination (she can do that but it's usually on you). I'm worried she shares a bit too much space with Tracer, and her ultimate removing Zen/Lucio's ability to counter wombo combos is perhaps too strong? However, in practice I've not seen her do this. It takes more coordination than "Press Q when Zarya shouts" as she needs to be close.

Kind of don't like her gun, tho? Doesn't seem particularly thematic to the character and makes her look more like Fedorova than you'd like.

Edited by Taylor

21 hours ago, (HP) said:

Right, all the little tweaks feel pretty ok to me so far on competitive. People seem to be loving Soldier, he used to deal 17hp per bullet, he now deals 20, which is a massive boost specially since he's a hitscan hero. I also love the feeling of pharah now, much more responsive, I started playing her a lot more.

Did you guys try the new Antarctica map on arcade? Playing 1on1 and 3on3 is a much different dynamic to the game.

Awesome. I was wondering why Pharah was feeling a little better to play.

We played this on a LAN party yesterday. Great fun! I love how to game makes it look so easy in the tutorials and as soon as you go online it's frantic as fuck!

I love the visual style too, very impressive and still maintaining a good readability while playing. It's obvious that this is a game with a lot of depth and that I've barely scratched the surface. 

Setting aside basic issues of having multiple sub-reddits, there's an interesting commentary here at the end about how Play of the Game content deprives some oxygen from the pro-scene. POTG is one of those things you won't really hear critique of, it's an awesome feature that makes for automatic content on the Overwatch sub-reddit. 

Seems plausible to me that the ubiquity of POTG posts might drown out other types of discussions, though.