Mazy

Overwatch

8 hours ago, Jetsetlemming said:

It's now 63 even on quick play and vs AI. Also, the player update ticks dynamically lower to match your fps and internet speeds, so it's not actually updating faster than your refresh rate. Most people get "just" 60. Sorry AlexM :lol:

The weird thing, imo, is that the 63 tickrate is 20KBps of upload bandwidth. That seems trivial for any modern internet connection, so why is it still something so avoided? This OW update makes it sound like a no-brainer, at least for games that don't have 64 player servers and shit like that. 

20kb/s * number of active connections + infrastructure/ddos support etc etc. It all adds up, it's in no way trivial to be going from 10-20kbs when you're talking on this scale.

7 hours ago, Vaya said:

20kb/s * number of active connections + infrastructure/ddos support etc etc. It all adds up, it's in no way trivial to be going from 10-20kbs when you're talking on this scale.

It's a twelve player game, 240KBps is still trivial, even on a home connection, let alone a server. The increased processing time of processing all those updates might be more significant, which is why it's a PC only thing, at least for the time being, but it seems to have gone over perfectly fine. Client side, making 3x the updates to send to the server doesn't seem to have impacted performance in the slightest.

3 minutes ago, Jetsetlemming said:

It's a twelve player game, 240KBps is still trivial, even on a home connection, let alone a server. The increased processing time of processing all those updates might be more significant, which is why it's a PC only thing, at least for the time being, but it seems to have gone over perfectly fine. Client side, making 3x the updates to send to the server doesn't seem to have impacted performance in the slightest.

more than 12 people play at once dude. you're thinking of 1 match- there's no stats for the number of co-current matches blizzard are hosting.

I should probably elaborate on my speculation, I expect it comes from two places, the first being a more consistent experience for players in public and competitive is important (because there is a real difference) and secondarily that the game has been very successful so it's totally justified to spend more money on servers, it could also be that Blizzard where a little afraid of overtaxing their servers at launch, and now have had the time to run tests to make sure it's all good to go with more throughput. Again, all speculation, what really matters is a better experience for the end user. 

9 hours ago, Vaya said:

Yes but it's in no way trivial adding more server farms. Back to my original point...take it from an infrastructure engineer. :)

There's structural issues with adding more servers beyond cost? Like routing players to the right places or something? I've never done any net programming, I assumed it would be like threaded processing: Going from 1 to 2 is really goddamn hard, going beyond 2 once you're there is nbd. :P 

Season 1 is officially over. I wish I had realized they were granting the "bonuses" based on the highest point you got to, I thought that was for season 2+ only, because I had a couple bad games, dropped to the bottom of rank 50, and haven't played comp in two days bc I didn't want to drop to an even further rung, lol. Instead I got the prize for reaching 59, way back in the very first week of the season.

Oh nice, the Season 2 PTR is already available. Reading over the patch changelog, here's the hero related notes:

The reduction in hitbox size of projectile weapons was reversed, woot! 

Ult meter drains over the course of .25 seconds instead of 1 second when first triggered. Previously it was pretty generous for letting people keep their ults if they got shutdown trying to use it. 

McCree's ult now works like everyone else's as far as meter is concerned. No 50% refund if he doesn't shoot or dies.

D.Va's block takes slightly longer before starting to recharge (1 sec instead of 0.5)

Hanzo moves 10% faster than before with an arrow nocked, and his arrows are 30% faster.

Mei's ult projectile goes through barriers and the radius is now 10 meters (from 8), exactly like they said they would.

Mercy's heal rate has been buffed 20%, and resurrected heroes end their recovery animation and are able to move and attack sooner (2.25 seconds instead of 3)

For Genji:

Double jump doesn't reset on wall climbs, dashing doesn't damage Widowmaker and Junkrat's traps and no longer skips over Junkrat's trap (he'll get grabbed by it mid-dash now). His dash can't cancel animations on his other attacks, a technique "pro genjis" used to do way more damage than intended. Finally, his ult is 6 seconds long instead of 8. I like these changes, they're more peripheral nerfs to make him more challenging than direct debuffs on his damage or skills.

Lucio's speed boost is now only +70%, instead of +100%.

Roadhog's hooks now more easily break when the the grab's invalid (through walls, around corners, etc) and returns the hooked player to where they were standing instead of sliding them around walls and shit.

Finally, Zenyatta's Orb of Discord was indeed nerfed in damage bonus from 50% tp 30%... but in exchange his regular m1 attack has been buffed from 40 to 46 damage. I'll take it!

Also for like the fifth patch in a row they have a note in bugfixes about preventing Reaper's shadowstep from letting him go out of bounds, lol

The Hanzo buff + projectile hitbox reversal is too much. I watched multiple kill cams of the Hanzo instakilling me from full health (thus getting a headshot on me?) while I was 100% invisible to him around a corner. Can't even contribute to lag, just somehow the arrow hitting my extra hitbox radius around the corner without needing line of sight. And getting headshots and thus instakills. Multiple times per match. I won 5, lost 5 in my placement matches, and every loss was directly attributable to a Hanzo fucking everyone up constantly somehow.

Also I think ult charge timing might've gotten bugged and charging faster in some instances, because in one game there was an enemy Genji literally going <20 seconds between his ults, even though he wasn't playing well at all. Kept rushing into the point, We'd kill him, he'd respawn, rush in again, ult, die anyway, repeat. Every other life, an ult. Maybe the PTR is full of hackers somehow, but it seems more likely shit's just a bit fucked. Hopefully it settles out soon.

I got 2599, Silver league, btw. Very disappointed, my season 1 placement was way better :(