Mazy

Overwatch

27 minutes ago, Bastion said:

Should've elaborated but I was too dealing with hammer, so frustrations were intense.

Here are my main issues :P

• Limitation on grouping with friends, sucked in cs:go so it'll likely suck here.
  • Increasing the skill range to 5000, what?
  • decrease of 50 skill points each day you are inactive

1. Yeah I'm not conviced they're doing the right thing here.
  2. This is just to make certain players not feel as bad when they lose an entire rank or gain a sliver of a rank. Basically inflation. The main focus for most people will be your tier anyway, not your MMR/ELO.
  3. Only applies if you haven't played for a week and you're in diamond, master or grand master. You stop decaying at the bottom of diamond.
Edited by grapen

Splitting players up into sticky tiers to solidify progress, stop them focusing on a MMR number, and give them short and long-term goals is the right thing to do. Most of this seems fairly standard. But I hope the team requirements are really loose near the bottom.

For all the talk of competitive points the system seems relatively stingy. If 60 represents the top 6% of players then having 65 as the "get this or you wasted months getting annoyed by competitive mode" target seems really steep. 22 of these guns exist and they are the main reason the rank and file are playing.

10 minutes ago, Taylor said:

For all the talk of competitive points the system seems relatively stingy. If 60 represents the top 6% of players then having 65 as the "get this or you wasted months getting annoyed by competitive mode" target seems really steep. 22 of these guns exist and they are the main reason the rank and file are playing.

CP carry over between seasons though. 200 CP at 60 is a fair chunk already and 120 CP at 56 is not bad either. You also get CP from wins (and soon ties).

1 hour ago, Bastion said:

Here are my main issues :P

• Limitation on grouping with friends, sucked in cs:go so it'll likely suck here.

The problem is that some people are using the ranking system as an exploit so they rank up faster, since if you have 5 dudes with level 70's and 1 dude level 40 it will bring down the average ranking of the team, matching you with lower tier people, and you pretty much guarantee a win this way. 

@Taylor right now a level 65 represents 6% of the players, not 60.

Like a few maps, it's hard to figure out what the hell the defender team's motivation is here. "We can't let them... bury this old dead guy, I guess!" :lol:

The map does look gorgeous though, and I can see this maybe being an implicit Bastion buff as he can hide among all those scrapped bastions.

PS I hope it has a Wolfenstein easter egg

According to this youtube video, Overwatch's netcode on PC has been updated to give every server a 63hz tick rate, and optimized other factors to reduce the average delay between player action and other player reaction to sub 50ms, better than basically any other online game.

Edited by Jetsetlemming

29 minutes ago, AlexM said:

What is the typical tick rate these days for multiplayer FPS'es? I haven't checked since halflife. 

Nonetheless, a tickrate higher than my refresh rate is awesome :)

overwatch on public is 20 and competitive is 60, nvm, it was 20 lol D:

1 hour ago, 2d-chris said:

overwatch on public is 20 and competitive is 60, nvm, it was 20 lol D:

It's now 63 even on quick play and vs AI. Also, the player update ticks dynamically lower to match your fps and internet speeds, so it's not actually updating faster than your refresh rate. Most people get "just" 60. Sorry AlexM :lol:

The weird thing, imo, is that the 63 tickrate is 20KBps of upload bandwidth. That seems trivial for any modern internet connection, so why is it still something so avoided? This OW update makes it sound like a no-brainer, at least for games that don't have 64 player servers and shit like that. 

1 hour ago, Jetsetlemming said:

It's now 63 even on quick play and vs AI. Also, the player update ticks dynamically lower to match your fps and internet speeds, so it's not actually updating faster than your refresh rate. Most people get "just" 60. Sorry AlexM :lol:

The weird thing, imo, is that the 63 tickrate is 20KBps of upload bandwidth. That seems trivial for any modern internet connection, so why is it still something so avoided? This OW update makes it sound like a no-brainer, at least for games that don't have 64 player servers and shit like that. 

Dollar-sign.jpg

Maybe because of the confidence boost of the tickrate news, maybe because a christmas in august miracle, but I'm apparently good at McCree suddenly??? I just played and won three rounds in a row, getting gold in kills each time, when before I couldn't shoot worth shit. I've also discovered the delight of shutting down arrogant tracers and genjis by baiting their dodges/reflects, stunning them, and FtHammering them. With all my other main heroes they're always my worst enemy! Now I WAS THEIRS! :o

I am, however, ironically bad at shooting Pharahs, because I got so used to leading them to account for the travel time of non-hitscan weapons.