Overwatch

Mazy

9 hours ago, Taylor said:

If Hanzo lands his reveal arrow, sees you in an enclosed space, and does a double dragon through your face… he kinda deserves to kill you. There are much stronger ultimate's where most characters can only duck behind something and clench when they hear the sound (although if you’re working as a team you should be able to outplay it).

Well, yeah, but when you're 2 rooms away and a dragon comes through the wall, you have no chance to get out the way :P

Out of interest, HP and Minos, did you guys use any special rendering techniques or env art creation techniques for this game? Or is it all fairly standard (vertex blended materials etc)? Also, do you guys use a realtime Editor? Really curious about that kinda stuff. Would love to see some breakdowns. I noticed that a lot of your meshes are extremely low poly but have a great rounded feel to them; did you purposely make your high polys really soft/rounded and then bake down to simple low polys to get that stylised look? Some great art direction going on in this game; it's really great to look at.. Good job fellas!

2 hours ago, Puddy said:

Maybe she's balanced, but I fucking hate Mei. :D I feel so dirty when I play as her. You can see the desperation in the enemy's eyes as they frantically try to turn around and find out where they are getting their ass frozen from. And then, as some fucking cold, literally, psychopath you blast an icicle through their brain.

Mei is a pain in the butt. So good at contesting a point because of the Block/Wall making her hard to kill and the freeze/headshot combo makes victims feel pretty helpless. Although, I think people are finding more counters to her now. Zarya shield makes you or your ally immune to the freeze, Tits McCree can flashbang and kill her in the stun if she's in frost range, Reaper can peace out, Soldier 76 can drop healing field before he gets frozen and survive the icicle, Roadhog needs to do some damage before he hooks her so she dies during his hook combo, etc. If you're a healer or something you're probably boned, but if she's in your backline you have other problems. On the other hand, while far away all she's got is her icicle and even though it hits like a truck (75) it does have huge start-up.

3 hours ago, Puddy said:

Maybe she's balanced, but I fucking hate Mei. :D I feel so dirty when I play as her. You can see the desperation in the enemy's eyes as they frantically try to turn around and find out where they are getting their ass frozen from. And then, as some fucking cold, literally, psychopath you blast an icicle through their brain.

I find Junkrat to work pretty well against Mei if you keep some distance. In case you get too close you can usually escape pretty easily with your concussion mine - unless you're in a small room :( but at least your death grenades might get her then!

But yeah, as was mentioned before: Zarya, McCree, Widow, Hanzo and pretty much anyone who can keep some distance to Mei are decent to good counters.

Edited by PhilipK

12 hours ago, Taylor said:

If Hanzo lands his reveal arrow, sees you in an enclosed space, and does a double dragon through your face… he kinda deserves to kill you. There are much stronger ultimate's where most characters can only duck behind something and clench when they hear the sound (although if you’re working as a team you should be able to outplay it).

I’ve been all over the Overwatch train since the open weekend and I’ve been having a ton of fun with it. Has completely taken over all my gaming time and I haven’t booted up League of Legends once, although I’ve been looking for a replacement for a while.

I do find pickup groups can be a little frustrating... You first pick, watch people go double Tracer on a defence map, and then the roster slowly fills out with no healers - and the last guy also won't pick until you all leave spawn, so you have to walk back to change. But this is a combination of factors including people just being new to the game. Honestly, for pubs I think the only thing the game does wrong here is classify Symmetra as a support and not a builder ("oh we have a healer, guess I'll be our second Reaper"), it’s very good at offering composition advice, and swapping the teams around or out completely if it all goes Pete Tong.

Great comments! It's probably been mentioned here several times before, but a bunch of what you can feel is frustrating in random group in quick play, as you said, goes away more and more once you've got some more play time and you get matched with more equally skilled players.

And there's also competitive play mode comming shortly where people are mostly more focused and experienced with the game. Had a lot of very close games when the earlier version of competitive mode was in the beta.

Knocked half the enemy team off the map with Pharah E. Feels good man.

Played a ton of Zarya last night and she is amazingly strong. I thought she was kind of butts as she's not picked much, but I think it's because the other tanks are more obviously being useful and D.Va has a very special player base. Only thing I don't like is that landing 5-man ultimate gives play of the game to the people jumping on it, not you, and then you have some Reaper bragging he's hot shit.