Mazy

Overwatch

I have about 13 hours in the beta and it is really good. Some shitty teams here and there but not too bad for pub groups. Genji is an absolute blast to play.. love how much the levels open up when you play him (and reflecting Bastion's turret sprays into his stupid, lifeless robot face is great). 

This is probably already planned no doubt but an art breakdown on some of the environment art in this game would be killer. I was shocked to see how many of the walls have 90 degree corners in the geo but are masked with some clever normal map placement. It sells it very, very well.

Edited by darkbsp

2 hours ago, darkbsp said:

I have about 13 hours in the beta and it is really good. Some shitty teams here and there but not too bad for pub groups. Genji is an absolute blast to play.. love how much the levels open up when you play him (and reflecting Bastion's turret sprays into his stupid, lifeless robot face is great). 

This is probably already planned no doubt but an art breakdown on some of the environment art in this game would be killer. I was shocked to see how many of the walls have 90 degree corners in the geo but are masked with some clever normal map placement. It sells it very, very well.

The game indeed is a masterclass in the use of normal maps. Technical articles on Overwatch would be very welcome!

I got to level 10 over the weekend and had an absolute blast playing it. Took me back to the old TF2 days.

I found playing the random hero mode pretty helpful. Forced me to play heroes I wouldn't normally try and it really helped me understand how to combat them and understand what their skills do. 

I really enjoy playing Lucio. Got a few potg replays with Genji, Trojborne (sp?) and Mai. Going to enjoy one last game at lunch today before the beta closes and then there's the long wait until release! :( 

On 5/8/2016 at 4:50 PM, FMPONE said:

The game indeed is a masterclass in the use of normal maps. Technical articles on Overwatch would be very welcome!

Yeah, gotta agree, the material definition in general is spot on!

I was expecting it to be more like a MOBA and it ended up being more like TF2. Cannot complain! Really good fun! I would have loved to try the competitive mode though. As it stands, friends of mine (and myself included) are skeptical about the longevity and somewhat on the fence whether to shell out 60 EUR for it. But regardless: great job to everyone who has been working on it! Love the maps!

12 minutes ago, FrieChamp said:

I was expecting it to be more like a MOBA and it ended up being more like TF2. Cannot complain! Really good fun! I would have loved to try the competitive mode though. As it stands, friends of mine (and myself included) are skeptical about the longevity and somewhat on the fence whether to shell out 60 EUR for it. But regardless: great job to everyone who has been working on it! Love the maps!

TF2 is almost 10 years now, i'm pretty sure that Overwatch will hold as long :)

Well they say they will release new maps and heroes for free so that should extend the longevity of the game initially. I guess it all depends on how profitable the game will be. If it makes them a nice bank full of cash I'm sure they'll be willing to keep supporting the game.

I wish they would just keep the beta open or just release the game though. I just want to keep playing >_<

Played the game long enough solo and with friends to become incredibly frustrated at some of the classes. Playing a certain hero is a lot more fun than playing against one. What I mean by that is, for example McCree. His stun ability is beyond infuriating that you can do nothing about. You round a corner and he's there, pop you ded. Roadhogs chainhook pull that you can do nothing about (made even worse when you feel that you were behind a corner but the game disagrees with you) Tracers bomb that sticks to you, she's already OP enough in my eyes. Reapers "lol fuck your damage can't hit me" ability. And his Q 2 win key as well to go with that.

There are several others but these mentioned are the common examples that I come across the most. Playing as any of these guys IS fun of course. But going against them I just want to throw my keyboard out of the window sometimes. It might be fun for that one person playing as any of those heroes but jesus does it get frustrating going against their abilities at times.

Will still buy game of course, I like it. Every game has something that frustrates someone. :v 

972.png972.pngOFV2hTg.jpg

For some reason I'm still able to play? I thought the free beta ended yesterday.

Edit: It got extended for 24 hours, wasn't aware

Edited by Wrakke

1 hour ago, dux said:

Played the game long enough solo and with friends to become incredibly frustrated at some of the classes. Playing a certain hero is a lot more fun than playing against one. What I mean by that is, for example McCree. His stun ability is beyond infuriating that you can do nothing about. You round a corner and he's there, pop you ded. Roadhogs chainhook pull that you can do nothing about (made even worse when you feel that you were behind a corner but the game disagrees with you) Tracers bomb that sticks to you, she's already OP enough in my eyes. Reapers "lol fuck your damage can't hit me" ability. And his Q 2 win key as well to go with that.

There are several others but these mentioned are the common examples that I come across the most. Playing as any of these guys IS fun of course. But going against them I just want to throw my keyboard out of the window sometimes. It might be fun for that one person playing as any of those heroes but jesus does it get frustrating going against their abilities at times.

Will still buy game of course, I like it. Every game has something that frustrates someone. :v 

972.png972.pngOFV2hTg.jpg

I've heard rumblings that Mccree is OP so I don't think that's a stretch. Tracer is annoying to fight but it can be done. I think the main problem with fighting any of the heroes is how fast you die, one minute your alive and the next your dead, sucks if its because of a Bastion camping in the corner.

All of that is why I look forward to ranked mode. If I'm going to die in a sudden brutal way, it might as well be in a competitive setting so I get what I bargained for