Sprony

Star Wars

Ok, I really don't understand the world, so here it goes:

I was expecting something new and fresh. This movie is basically a remake of A New Hope with some elements from The Empire Strikes Back added to it and with a couple of twists thrown in. There is nothing original about the entire movie. Hate the prequels all you want (including me) but at least it tried something different.

The film also feels really rushed. Interesting characters and actors are barely used (Max von Sydow, Chrome Trooper, Luke, etc). Everything is one huge perfectly timed coincidence and they killed off the one person that was carrying the movie (who deserved a much better dead). Plus, this is another element that's rushed over. Oh, Han is dead, let's move on. Same goes for the victory and what not. The bad guy starts out as a total bad ass but turns out to be weak and whiny like Anakin in the prequels.

There is not a single moment that made me go wow and all the battles are really small scaled. It totally misses that epic sense that the original and even the prequels had. That last battle was just a bunch of Xwings versus yet another Death Star with a flaw in it's design.

No man, I'm really not feeling it.

I'm not saying the movie is terrible. I laughed, it had humor, I love the production values. But seriously, if this didn't have the Star Wars name it would have been average at best. 

Truth be told, if you are new to the series much of my criticism would be nullified and it would score much higher.

Having said that, I'm going again next week with different expectations and I hope to enjoy it much more. At least it's way better than the prequels and Return of the Jedi (God, I hate that one) so that's not a bad start. Looking forward to Rian Johnson's take. 

Lacked the Star Wars feel, falls on it's face in many places, mostly disappointing with a few good bits.

It just lacked soul to me, it didn't feel like Star Wars at times. It was just the first film again with a few different ideas, shaky cam, darker and a Stormtrooper having a breakdown... WHAT. And another Death Star? Yes, but biggerer! It'll be great, no one will see that one coming for a third time! I was also under the impression that The Rebellion kinda won at the end of the films yet stuff is still kicking off like nothing much happened before, just a few wrecks on a desert world. One thing I was really looking forward to was Gwendoline Christie as Captain Phasma but she appears like twice. I was expecting her to be like Boba Fett, hunting the two main protagonists down or something but nope. Also when Mr. Big Bad Guy Kylo Ren took his helmet off I literally laughed out loud in the Cinema. Oh my god. That was bloody awful. Best part of the film for me was bb8 giving the thumbs up with his lighter along with Han Solo singly handedly saving the film BUT THEN! they did... that thing. You know what I'm talking about. It sucked.

Guys, I think you're missing the point with Kylo Ren. He's not an incredible Sith lord. He wants to be, but he isn't and that's what is so frustrating for him (hence him destroying rooms with his lightsaber and being a little whiny at times). He starts out as a 'total badass' yes, because he's killing unarmed civilians and is showing the power of the dark side to these people unaware of the force. However, when it comes to other force users he is actually not as powerful as we first expect. He is overcome with emotion when he kills his father (Han Solo) and doesn't even realise that Chewbacca is shooting at him and gets shot in the leg (whereas perhaps other, better trained Siths would know this was coming and could possibly deflect the shot. Thus, when he's fighting Rey and Finn, he is not fighting at 100%. He actually smacks his leg to channel some pain and anger, which is what the dark side is all about.

The bit when he takes off his mask and isn't that intimidating sums up the character of Kylo Ren; behind the mask he is this mysterious, evil 'sith lord', but without it he is just a person.

I loved the whole aspect of being drawn to the light side, that's a really nice twist on the traditional 'falling to the dark side'.

Also, did anyone else notice him put his helmet down in a container full of what looks like ash? Was that Darth Vader's ash? Nice touch if so..

I thought the film was amazing, sorry that you guys didn't enjoy it :)

Edited by PogoP

Movie was trash, it was literally A New Hope rehashed with shakycam and flashy lasers. Far too fast paced, very little character development, a lead who's acting has been widely called out as the weakest part of the whole film ... Yeah. Sure there were parts that felt like star wars, but there was soooo much paying lip-service to the fans that it was actually retarded. OH LOOK another shot of x-wings flying through a trench EXACTLY LIKE THE DEATH STAR IN A NEW HOPE. When Ren is fighting Finn and Rey OH LOOK another shot of PULLING A LIGHTSABER FROM THE SNOW WITH THE FORCE, JUST LIKE LUKE ON HOTH. 

The entire fucking movie was completely unimaginative and consistently just leaned on rehashing iconic visuals and characters from the previous films. I hope they've got it all out of their systems now so that EP8 might actually do something new and interesting.

Hidden Content

I thought the film was amazing, sorry that you guys didn't enjoy it :)

Fair enough about Kylo but I want a bad ass. Better yet, an iconic bad ass. They ruined Vader in the prequels so I was hoping they learned from that. Modern day movie making is all about "We need to motivate him", "Give him a backstory", "Explain everything and make him complex" and so on. What's wrong with just being a bad ass? You see this is modern horror movies too. Even creature feature receive a ridiculous amount of explaining. Don't people understand that the power of someone or something scary comes from not knowing? Remember Alien? Total bad ass and now look at what Scott is doing, let's take away every mystery in 3 prequel movies. I rest my case.

If your down with that, cool for you man. Great times ahead since the whole industry is embracing it. But me, I long for the good old days with proper not disposable villains. Not looking forward to seeing a disfigured CGI troll that escaped LOTR giving orders to a frustrated whiny brat that has family issues for two more movies. 

Fair enough about Kylo but I want a bad ass. Better yet, an iconic bad ass. They ruined Vader in the prequels so I was hoping they learned from that. Modern day movie making is all about "We need to motivate him", "Give him a backstory", "Explain everything and make him complex" and so on. What's wrong with just being a bad ass? You see this is modern horror movies too. Even creature feature receive a ridiculous amount of explaining. Don't people understand that the power of someone or something scary comes from not knowing? Remember Alien? Total bad ass and now look at what Scott is doing, let's take away every mystery in 3 prequel movies. I rest my case.

If your down with that, cool for you man. Great times ahead since the whole industry is embracing it. But me, I long for the good old days with proper not disposable villains. Not looking forward to seeing a disfigured CGI troll that escaped LOTR giving orders to a frustrated whiny brat that has family issues for two more movies. 

You mean General Spock? Damn fandoms leaking again

Finally watched it last night so I can open all the spoiler tags here at last :D Had a midnight showing and didn't get home until 4... Definitely worth it though.

I thought it was a really solid film, and I really enjoyed it. Really good balance of comedy/drama/action, and I thought the new cast were great.

Soild 5/7 from me as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next film is based a good 10-20 years in the future. Mainly because of Rey's comment to the comatose Finn before leaving, as well as both Kylo and Rey going to see their respective masters for training.

That and they took down a planet with a gun inside it, and they'll probably need some time to build the next larger gun round gun laser thing for the rebels to destroy because there's not much for the Jedi's to protect now after they wiped out however many planets!

Also, regarding rumours of Finn being Han Solo's son, he does have the same flight/fail/fight routine his late father would have.

And the lightsaber that had once been Anakin's then Luke's, now Rey's would suggest to me that there's a family tie? Not that I realised lightsabers chose people, I didn't realise this was fucking Harry Potter.

Edited by jackophant

The fact that they built props like the Millenium Falcon and such and did not use CGI as much as the prequels did made this movie into one beautiful movie. The air-battles was great, i loved the new characters and humor they put in. Kylo Ren is a heartless bastard and i think he will have to become even more ruthless and evil in the next episode.. I think we might see clones, instead of stormtroopers, as they talked about it in the movie. 

Three times i almost had tears in my eyes during the movie. After Rey and Finn escape from Jakku i realize the right people made a new Star-Wars movie. Han-Solo scene also made me sniff and almost cry, fuck you Kylo Ren! And lastly, the light-saber duel in the woods, winter, red and blue light. Simply beautiful.

It IS the same as the old ones, but different. If you do not like it i feel sorry for you, for me, it was one hell of a ride from the beginning to the end and i was living the Star-Wars universe for 2 hours and 15 minutes. Not many movies makes me forget about the surrounding world like this one did.