Long timers and new comers, your Mapcore history

Furyo

Those who know me know I love history and genealogy, and I just got to thinking that I've been a member of Mapcore for 8 1/2 years now, dating back to my first modding days. In internet years, it's a century.... I was curious if you guys would like to share your story that got you here on Mapcore?

Mine is pretty straightforward. I had joined the crew of beta testers from CoJ (Crowbars of Justice) for Day of Defeat Source back in April of 2005 with members like insta and skdr. That gave us all a huge advantage over every other modder in that we could start mapping for the game before it even came out. Back then, the Source SDK was barely running in Steam, and lots of tinkering with the FGD file later, I was learning 3D and Source when I wasn't playtesting the game. It was legendary modder Waldo, of the original DoD team who suggested that I join Mapcore when my first map, a piece of crap by all measuring standards, finally hit the shelves in Feb. 2006. That piece of crap, along with a convincing test, allowed me to join the industry two weeks later at Ubisoft Montpellier. Barely one map under my belt, and I had Mapcore to thank for partly landing me a job. It's been a lot of fun since then seeing all the great talent I was dreaming of becoming as good as all join the industry one by one.

This was your sunday evening melancolic story, now share yours :)

I've been here since June 2014! I managed to somehow stumble across it when I was googling things regarding mapping (I think I found the playtest page?) as I was starting to take a job in this industry far more seriously when trying to jump ship from my far less fulfilling career path in computer science...

I didn't really know what mapcore had to offer at the time, but everyday it surprises me with a new level of depth! Even if I can't cobble together the experience to get a job in this scene, I've still found an awesome community :)

I always thought that Hurg was the little boy that Thrik kept in his basement?

I knew Mapcore as that place with all those HL fanboys. I love the games but I didn't care for the modding scene. I was heavily into Idtech especially mapping for Quake 3. But then the big bad monster came to eat all Idtech communities so Sprony had to flee and found refuge here. Unfortunately I was considered a filthy foreigner and it took you all a couple of years to forgive my sins, accept my presence and grant me a visa. I think it's safe to say that I'm fully integrated now. Which might change soon since I'm currently trying very hard to bring my family over :P

Well, if you go all the way back then I've been here since early 2000 when Mapcore was actually Anarchy Design. I think it was just a search for some Half-Life tutorials that led me to the site, and after returning to the site a few times for some help then I ended up checking out the IRC channel, which I went to whenever I had any problems with some quite friendly folks hanging out there (there were some official CS mappers there too, so starstruck :D)

Then it kinda fell apart I guess (can't remember the exact reason for it changing or Anarchy Design shutting down) and changed into Mapcore, and I've been here since then. Kinda scary that it's almost 15 years since that first innocent search of mapping tutorials O_O

That reminds me, does anyone have any idea what Euro*Brew is up to these days? He was Thrik before Thrik :)

Mazy is like the old Grandad of Mapcore now. Sitting in his swivel rocking chair that somehow also has wheels, reminiscing about bsp and vis. "Back in my day you could make a single player mod over a weekend! Now it takes years to make anything! All this thong mapping and bump nipples is just a load of rubbish that kids love to fawn over. I could load up Photoshop 6 back then and make a texture set in 5 minutes for the map! Now I need 20 different programs and 70 different methods just to make a chair!"

Annnyyyyyyyyway.

I joined 10 years ago ...holy crap! after finding the Rust forums a bit dull and upon seeing so many "big name" Half-Life community mappers on here I was like I need dis. Then this HP guy joined and ruined it for everyone :v