DM-Reco by Conrad "Justin" Slawinski

Thanks, Z!  but still the camera in the 3D window does not deactivate, while I press right mouse button again. (I'm on Win 8 recently). Is this possible to work within netradiant and then convert map into radiant? I have more experience with netradiant (several Xonotic maps) and regardless similar interface its completly different program to me.

Good luck mate!

Week 2 continuation: Wooden constructions on the construction site (don't mind the metalic and concrete textures- they will be replaced)

Whats the maximum poly amount? Lets say I create a rock model that has 1000 faces and then duplicate it 10 times. Is it okey? How can I increase the lightmaps qiuality on models?

week2-2.jpg    

week2-3.jpg

Edited by Conrad Justin

Okey. Before I start modeling I just wanted to show you the main layout idea. I am thinking about adding basement going beneath the map (straight across) but maybe this would be too much. I hope you can figure something out from this top-down view -  I tried making it as clear as possible :P

week2-4.jpg

What would you prefer as a player: Jumppads, smooth ramps or perhaps a staircases? At this stage its easy for me to swap them because layout is still changing.

Edited by Conrad Justin

Nah. screenshot was done in Xonotic, because I used it for quick testing (sorry about it - I just wanted to show the layout progress) Today I finally launched map on Quake, so don't worry. Mind that I am a beginner in quake.

I have a question: I put an orign (pivot poiint) of my models on the model's bottom and when I place them in Radiant the pivot point is usually inside brushes. I think this might have an impact on the compiling process or even game performance. Is that correct? Shall I locate pivot points of my models in the centers and place them so they don't intersect with brushes?

That's a good question actually - my entire map is being done as big static room-sized mesh chunks.  At present, I'm exporting them in such a way that there's a big pile of meshes around 0, 0, 0, but the content of those meshes is usually about 2000 units away.  If I understand from what I've been reading, misc_model is compiled into the map itself.  I suspect, but cannot yet confirm, that this means the transform is baked into the mesh and the pivot point is lost completely.

Thank you, Hipshot, I will try avoiding it. With this in mind I see no other issues that could prevent me from start modelling apart from poly count I suppose. Is there particular number we should abide? I know this sounds like a newbie qustion but I don't want to end up with totaly broken performance. I have stronkTM computer but some might not.

jameswilddev2 - The planks are bsp - detail brushes. Easy to adjust, fun to run on (no clipping issues) Edited by Conrad Justin