Sprony

The Mapcore Mod Team

Build on the latest version of Source of course and totally separate from what we are prepping for Unreal. 

What about Blue Shift on UE4!?  :oops:

BS: Source sounds good though, but would require lots of stuff Black Mesa team has already (like scientists and their voices).

If you are going for the (sci-fi) adventure game, what about a situation where instead of having no people around, or them being dead, what if they are frozen in time? In case of a gameplay using the time forward/rewind you would have people walking and doing stuff when triggered. Could use for puzzles (like going through the underground gates) and lots of stuff.

Still think that a kid as character would offer best opportunity for puzzles and non-violent gameplay.

What if kid meets himself in the future?

Edited by blackdog

Imo UE4 is the way to go so the mod wont look old once it's finished. In that regard, yesterday I received a one year UE4 free subscription, but I've just noticed my PC can't run it (yet), but I could help modelling some environment props and making some textures.

I like the 1st person scifi adventure idea, many of us are used to make maps for 1st person shooters, and as we start with UE4 coding shouldn't be as hard as doing a different genre like an RTS.

Btw, I like the scifi stuck in time idea of blackdog, though I'd like few shoots and balck humor.

I'd go for something psychological, maybe you'd play a guy that just got a terrible car accident, and now he's in coma, stuck in his weird world, trying to make sense of it and slowly uncovering some information about who he is etc.. 

I'm weird.

An adventure, for both grown-ups and kids. Kind of like Simon the Sorcerer 2 or Monkey Island.

simonthesorcerer2_1.jpg

monkey32g.jpg

I´ve always dreamt about this warm, cartoony, style in an FPS. :)

If you are going for the (sci-fi) adventure game, what about a situation where instead of having no people around, or them being dead, what if they are frozen in time? In case of a gameplay using the time forward/rewind you would have people walking and doing stuff when triggered. Could use for puzzles (like going through the underground gates) and lots of stuff.

Still think that a kid as character would offer best opportunity for puzzles and non-violent gameplay.

What if kid meets himself in the future?

I fucking love this idea. Like the people are frozen and you move fast.

And solving problems!

Edited by Seldoon182

Happy the idea has been well received, just spitballing really. We can try to think this through with a bit more care and see if we can get something out of it, I'd be very happy to be able to give a contribution :)

Edited by blackdog

I have no desire to forgot about the shared doc and what we've been up too. However, I see that it's driving Source people away and Source is strong here. I would love to keep those people involved as well. So I was wondering, we have Black Mesa and there have been several attempts at recreating Opposing Force (with one still in the works) but no one every tried to recreate Blue Shift (as far as I know). If I'm not mistaken modders are allowed to use the assets created by the Black Mesa team. Blue Shift isn't that big (but still loads of work) but we are not obligated to do the entire thing. There would be no discussion about setting, story, etc. It would be a great way for the Source crowd to shine. We could assign a chapter or part of a chapter to mapper and people could work on their own (as recommended earlier). I think it's a win win situation. What do you guys think?

I there is enough interest I'll split it into a separate topic - doc.

If there's enough talent & interest, how about Blue Shift for Source & UE4?

Putting this out there for consideration http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/wold-members-tutorials/nexusdog/l4d-campaign-design-why-less-is-more.php

The most appealing idea discussed so far for me has been Blue Shift - a dual project for Source & UE4 feels best course & suit expertise and talent.

One thing I'd like to add though.

There is a L4D2 mod by Rayman1103, called somewhat unsurprisingly 'Rayman1103's Mutation Mod' http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=121070254&searchtext=rayman1103

Buried among them is one called Co-op versus (CVS) . If you're not familiar with it, it allows you to play as you would survivors in regular L4D2, but also as infected like in versus. Each map is played twice, the intention is swapping teams after each is played. However, you don't need 8 players and can set up your own server with friends to play thus avoiding the messiness of the hoi polloi. You can opt to play as survivors, split the teams 2/2 or as SI. As survivors, the mod plays something between advanced & expert, a lot faster with a little less damage from the infected, but a faster respawn rate for SI to make up the difference. Playing as SI is a gleeful exercise in tormenting survivor bots as they make their way to the safe room.

It may not be for everyone, but my friends & I have come to play CVS as SI more than regular L4D2. Our option is to play with no tanks as we found it too easy to kill the survivors & also the rest of the team basically watch. Either way, if you can try it with some mates I suggest you stick with it and see how it feels. I suggest No Mercy as a go to campaign or Dark Parish to see how it plays on a modded campaign. Would love to know what people thought of it though, good or bad.

The point is, as an alternative to making a regular campaign for survivors, is a CVS campaign an option potentially worth considering?