Hmm, looked at their kickstarter. Really, shouldn't low-level backers get a voucher to get their backed amount knocked off the final price or something? Seems stingy to have people donate like 10 bucks and get basically zilch for giving to a project without any promise of return on investment. Or?

Or maybe I just don't understand Kickstarter.

I remember Cliffy B. said he wanted to make an oldschool roots fps. One could only assume he meant Unreal Tournament.

But Epic is already remaking that and so many people are already remaking Quake again.

Not sure how smart it is to jump back into this pool atm.

Arena shooters are the new MOBAs, confirmed.

So they copied quake 95%? Real original guys. Even the timing on the fucking grenades is 100% the same.

I don't get this remark. What is it with people (in general, not directed at you) that keep crying about originality but ultimately buy the next COD themselves instead of supporting original ideas? Having said that, if you are going to do a proper Arena shooter there's really no way not to be compared or influenced by Quake 3 or UT. Plus, this comment is especially a bit unfair since Reflex is a continuation of CPMA, you know that Quake 3 mod that was chosen by the CPL as the competition mod of choice, which has its own division in the Cyberathlete Amateur League and is used in Electronics Sports World Cup with its own competitions and leagues. In fact, it's so damn good that Id Software themselves copied the CPMA physics and ruleset for Quake Live. 

So yes, it's heavily influenced by Quake 3 but it added so much original features that it's really a different game. Swinging at it like this is a bit unfounded imo.

So they copied quake 95%? Real original guys. Even the timing on the fucking grenades is 100% the same.

Are you fuckign serious dude? Do I really need to bother with a counter argument or are you just being a silly troll? lol

Did you see the stakegun in that movie? Holy shit, that's awesome! 

I really dislike this feature. I don't know if a game that is essentially cpm needs even more movement freedom. More movement freedom eventually just means that the game removes a depth aspect from the level design (increasing the # of possible routes and connections to take for the player). What they really should do is make the already existing movement visible to new players. 90% or more of the people who play quake don't know what a circle jump is or how to do it. That's the real problem this franchise has. The game has enough gameplay features to it, they are just all a result from coding bugs and not intuitively designed. And no, tutorials are not going to help. Nobody wants to do a tutorial in order to enjoy a game. 

Warsow tried adding on top of cpm with their dash and wall jumps - fact is that the response was not overwhelming (partially because it made the game even more messy, partially because you need an extra key on the keyboard for those features). I don't see how the stake gun in reflex is going to be any better than that.

I don't know how they intend to use the stake gun in praxis but next to the level design/position/movement aspect I also think that new players should not be put in front of even more choices regarding weapon usage, since quake 3 already has 10 guns half of which new players don't know how or when to use. 

I don't see the problem of even cloning a game (never gonna happen 1:1) that no one is interested of bring to modern times from old gen. If there's an audience, let it be.

Hmm, looked at their kickstarter. Really, shouldn't low-level backers get a voucher to get their backed amount knocked off the final price or something? Seems stingy to have people donate like 10 bucks and get basically zilch for giving to a project without any promise of return on investment. Or?

Or maybe I just don't understand Kickstarter.

I haven't backed anything yet because atm I don't understand/trust the service.

So I just bought it and it seems like a lot of fun, but my FPS are so horrible low. I dont have a good computer but even CS:GO runs on low on 80 FPS, and even with the settings in the early access FAQ I only get 30 FPS. BTW, alone on a server. For a game thats almost minecraft level in graphics thats really really bad.

Also the server browser is horrible. I dont know exactly why the player numbers are in the middle of a string, but it needs ages to find a game with players on.

BTW has this some kind of anticheat?

Edited by Nakroma

The fact that it is based around CPMA is a huge strength. I dont really view the fact that Reflex has strong roots with Quake 3 Arena as negative either, the truth is that Quake 3 isn't properly filling in this particular space as its very old. its possible I would change my stance if Id stood up one day and decided to actually make Quake 5 with a new engine, but lets face it, they dont know how to make Quake 5 and if they did it would have happened a long time ago.

So with that said, Quakes core element is that its an arena shooter with very strong archetypal weapon balance which makes it unique from Unreal 4. In a way quakes balance on this front is the most pure in terms of play style than any other FPS right now. If Id cant carry the torch anymore then someone else needs to do it, otherwise, nobody will.

So lets hold off on criticizing Reflex for being a Quake 3 clone.

Edited by Castle

Reflex is a Quake clone, if you're denying that you're delusional. Call it a continuation of CPMA if you will.

Not that it's inherently a bad thing, I liked CPMA too. The point isn't to be original anyway, it's to provide modern features to an old and proved game.

But again, Quake Live already provides these features. Where are all the players eager to play an arena FPS? What does Reflex add to the genre, exactly?

At least games like Telos or Project Nex try to do something new, and even then I see a lot of similarities with already existing FPS.

Everywhere I look it's the same stuff. People jumping around in narrow, closed and vertical maps, shooting rockets and circle straffing while spamming their weapons.

It's hard to do something new and fresh with this genre, we'll see which game will be succesful in the end.

More movement freedom eventually just means that the game removes a depth aspect from the level design (increasing the # of possible routes and connections to take for the player). What they really should do is make the already existing movement visible to new players.

Are you me?

Strafe jumping as a mechanic is really neat, especially in games like Defrag. The skill gap is almost infinite, which is always nice for a race game.

But how are you supposed to explain something so abstract to new players? Item timing is bad enough as it is.

I don't like the physics in CPMA, they are waaay too permissive. There's no feeling of weight, there's no penalty for turning/steering. You can't easily predict the trajectory of an opponent. It's even worse in Warsow and Painkiller. At least you had to make some kind of decision on your positionning in vanilla Quake 3.

If you can go from anywhere to anywhere under 2 seconds, what's the point of even having movements or maps in the first place? Just play the game in noclip mode. It's the same thing, only less skilled. A bit extreme I admit.

In fact, it's so damn good that Id Software themselves copied the CPMA physics and ruleset for Quake Live.

As far as I'm concerned, most Quake Live pro matches doesn't use CPMA physics and ruleset at all.

Edited by Klems