de_havana

Lajron

Hi guys some of you might know me from the mapcore playtests but for those who don't im a GoldSource & Source level designer and modeller.
You can find some of my work at http://gamebanana.com/members/1223393 and at http://twhl.info/user.php?id=6214&maps

I started making de_havana about a month ago when i realised that no one made a "Havana style" map which was my favourite.Tho my map is much more sunnier than the ones from cs 1.6 and cs:s.

Here are some beta screenshots of it :

xGjzLvM.jpg0v6EIh0.jpgHt1OVLw.jpgeSWCogI.jpgSntjpvo.jpgMT4Ul8E.jpgbd2xGx7.jpg
g2cp4fi.jpg

3aIW85C.jpg

map from the top view/radar :

zAs8lZm.png

Textures still need some work on the buildings and those crates/boxes are gonna be replaced with custom models or become part of a building.

Inspiration also came from Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag.For reference i used AC-IV havana and pictures from real-life havana like :

havana cathedral

11311978.jpg

This is also my first CS:GO map and i'm sorry if i made some spelling errors.English isn't my native language.

Really like it so far! The building in the 5th pic is just pretty great, I think I stood there looking for 2 minutes at the playtest warmpup :)

Is it just me or has the layout changed a bit since the playtest? I'm talking about the left side on the radar.

Yeah , i changed the left side , before it was just a big ramp where CT's and T's could see each other in about 5sec but this is the 3rd version before this there was another change which was even worse :D

O8wuld5.jpgtdu5Kph.jpgakXUdJp.jpgKIvubEr.jpg

How do you get such defined shadows? Is it down to lightmap number?

Well currently i didn't use anything below 16 lightmap scale.I'm using the expert compiler with custom compile settings but it's similar to "Full compile -both(ldr and hdr) -final(really important command)"

Edited by Lajron

Will there maybe potentially be a name clash with the old cs_havana? I know it wasn't exactly the most popular map, but could people be "tricked" into thinking this is a defuse version of an old map or even put off entirely because of the link?

Don't get me wrong, I think the map looks fantastic, but I honestly thought you were reviving the old map defuse style when I first saw the name!

Well i guess they might think that its the old havana.I'm actually using some textures from cs:s cs_havana and you can read here how low play the map got http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/Havana so i actually went with a little bit of a different theme.Still you might be right but since i'm not well known as the other mappers i guess this actually might help me get my name out there.

Also a remake doesn't have to be the same as the original.