Minesoft...Microcraft...you decide

Izuno

Or spend the money on cool useful projects instead (See what Evil Mask did with his paypal money for example). One notable thing notch did with his minecraft money is funding AoW3, and thats that.

Yeah, I would buy a game studio and play developer and everyone would hate me for it.

Just… he already did that ;)

I'm guessing that Notch is also thinking about the hot celebrities living in the area. ;)

Honestly, it's his money. IMO there's nothing worse than people telling other people how they should spend their money, regardless of amount. We have no idea what charitable contributions Notch may or may not make, and considering the astonishing amount of money he has, he can easily enjoy a lavish lifestyle while also being ethically wonderful.

Honestly, I looked at the photo's and I don't see why it's worth 70 million. It has no personality and no identity when you look at it from outside. I've seen far more impressive houses for a lot less money. Besides, like Vilham said, build your own thing. Man, I would build me house with an arcade hall, theater, game room and a fucking underground bat cave.

It's not the house. It's the land its on.  And the absurd celebrity mark up value on top of that.

• 4 months later...

I think she has genuine mental health issues.

Everything she said was clearly wrong, but I wouldn't blame anybody for becoming angry at Notch to begin with. He's become one of the 1%, and in the last few years his actions have all become systemic of that. He shouldn't have sold to Microsoft, and he definitely shouldn't have bought that stupid mansion. He's never going to use it (or if he does, he's going to feel like he's eating his dinner on board a deserted cruise ship, unless he fills it with a money-grubbing entourage), so he's just another greedy 1%er playing games with the property market and causing problems for the poorest in society.

I don't judge Notch. I don't want to say he was wrong to sell, I dunno what I'd do in his shoes… I would speculate that his prototypes weren't going anywhere and he decided to relieve the pressure and "retire" in style, he can keep working when he's inspired, but it's very unlikely anything he'll do will be as relevant. Maybe that's not even important, but I think that you always want to match yourself. I don't want to take anything away from him, but I think in this particular case he had a great deal of luck, Minecraft is in certain ways a very happy incident, in the sense it came out just at the right time to cater the audience of this generation… just found out yesterday that Lego was about to file bankruptcy in 2004 so in a certain sense Minecraft that is the digital version of it, came out just to fill the gap there.

Edited by blackdog

• 3 months later...