Izuno

Minesoft...Microcraft...you decide

a company called notch development owns mojang, which is 71% owned by notch and the rest owned by 2 other co-founders of Mojang. I assume non of the other employees own any stake ;o

There's your answer...

Picture_of_mr.sparkle.jpg

It's official: the Mojang shareholders cashed out and are leaving the company https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/

As you might already know, Notch is the creator of Minecraft and the majority shareholder at Mojang. He’s decided that he doesn’t want the responsibility of owning a company of such global significance. Over the past few years he’s made attempts to work on smaller projects, but the pressure of owning Minecraft became too much for him to handle. The only option was to sell Mojang.

I wonder if leaving everything behind and having that kind of money ends up being freeing creatively or if you end up never releasing anything because you actually don't *have* to...

Guess it depends on the Persson :v

a company called notch development owns mojang, which is 71% owned by notch and the rest owned by 2 other co-founders of Mojang. I assume non of the other employees own any stake ;o

This is usually how game businesses are handled, at least in Scandinavia. It's easier to just sell a company along with a product than just the product itself.

On a side note, I'd love to see Notch setup an investment business on the side for small indie projects... however unlikely that is.

+1 But I guess his pastebin was pretty clear he's not interested in entrepreneurship at all... :( Kind of sad to have that much money sitting around, the possibilities!! :( That being said, I don't know anything about Notch or what he intends to do with it... So perhaps he's making good use of it.

Edited by Chimeray