Izuno

Minesoft...Microcraft...you decide

http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/09/microsoft-plans-to-buy-minecraft-developer-mojang-for-2b-according-to-rumor/

...and  http://online.wsj.com/articles/microsoft-near-deal-to-buy-minecraft-1410300213

and lots of other news on this.

So Microsoft is close to buying Mojang.  Notch will supposedly see the deal thru then depart with his $2b (pre-tax).  Great payday for him, but then what?

Remember, it's not just the developer but all the licensing businesses...how many of you have Minecraft licensed shirts, condoms, keychains, rainbow colored rat poison pellets in the shape of a creeper, rainbow colored kids vitamins in the shape of a creeper, cardboard Steve heads, etc. etc. etc. ?

Minecraft is one of my top 10 PC games of all time, no questions asked.  There is the question about the PlayStation versions of the game, but I would be shocked if Microsoft pulled them from the market because it would enrage a lot of people.  

Two observations:

1) This signals that Microsoft is still serious about the games space.  You don't invest $2b without having a strong commitment to the space.

2) The market for Minecraft will saturate.  How many copies can you buy? How much Minecrap can you buy (see above). Minecraft movie? Fine. TV show? Eh maybe.  But all that takes a lot of work and additional capital to make a return from.   What about other Mojang games/products?  Think any future Mojang creation will come close to Minecraft potential? It's unlikely.

Discuss.

It would be a good product to enter the education games sector, which is growing rapidly. They are mainly buying the name and the userbase behind it. There is a good positive vibe behind the community, so that is worth a lot, but easy to destroy. And looking at previous experiences of Microsoft, i don't have too much faith.

Not sure what their goal is, but it would make sense for them to try to pivot their reputation by buying Moyang and make it even bigger. I am not surprised at this deal looking at previous collaborations they made. The sense of Moyang being a small Indie company is long gone for me, so this cooperative move makes all sense.

Yeah minecraft is really huge. I'm not surprised at the valuation at all, considering you can find minecraft gift cards at every target and walmart here. I was walking around in the suburbs and saw a bunch of kids play it on a tv in their garage. Pretty awesome imo :)

I started a new Minecraft world a few days ago after not touching the game in over a year.  Now this.  I suppose once it comes to Vita that may be a Vita game I actually buy and play on my actual Vita rather than use said Vita as a PSP (PlayStation Paperweight).  Wait...if Microsoft owns...Minecraft....then Sony platforms...

meme4.jpg

i just can't see why notch would sell it. I would keep it. like... enought money for my lifetime. What's the difference from 500 million to 2bi? when you have just enough money... dunno, makes any difference?

OR

he can take that 2 bi and create a floating island made with (a lot) of plastic bottles in the ocean, and declare it his own country. I would love to do that.

Seems like the best deal possible for Notch. Shit imagine walking away with 2billion from the only "proper" game you ever made and never have to worry about money anymore in your life? Because let's be frank, it's pretty much impossible for Mojang to come up with something else that comes even close to Minecraft's popularity.

Minecraft will be to Microsoft what Pokemon is to Nintendo... I hope MS is as clever as Nintendo when it comes to taking care of the franchise though :)

I personally think Notch should take the $2bil. He could easily just set up another team with his closest friends/trusted devs and make whatever games he wants for the rest of his life without worrying about money ever.

Mojang and Minecraft has(I'd imagine) got way bigger than he'd hoped, maybe he's just sick of running the company and wants to get back to just making whatever games he wants? Who knows.

At one point the price is just too damn high. People sell their babies for less.
Selling minecraft will change nothing for notch or mojang. He will still be the guy who created minecraft.