jackophant

de_stupa

Ts haven't safe path to northern bombsite, they can be spotted through double doors on mid. I think it's disabling spooky shift plays towards that bombsite, on the other hand it could be a map feature, dunno just thoughts :?

Ts haven't safe path to northern bombsite,

You make a good point. Originally this was to be likened to inferno's mid to have a safe route based on timing rather than line of sight. I'd like this to still be the case, but I'll check the contact timings with this new build next chance I get and try it once more in the next playtest as I have also rotated how mid operates and don't want to change too much in one go. If there are still issues, I shall indeed implement a line of sight based safe route for A.

Thanks for the input :)

So I tried out the latest build that you liked in TS.

The outer areas of A-site looks a lot better. I like the drop, kinda like a one-way flank with no return. I don't really like the jump that you have to do to get down there though. The actual site feels very stale and I can't see CT's try to defend it from inside since CT's would be completely trapped in case of a A rush split. Another entrance towards CT-spawn would probably make it feel a bit more open and allow CT's to retreat if they wish to.

I'm not sure what to make of mid. It feels very awkward that CT's gets peeked from both door and the pathway straight across. It just seems like CT's would have a really hard time defending the double door without being completely exposed from the other entrance.

I like where B is going, keep that up! Site allows for all kinds of plants which is always a plus! :D

One last thing, you should add a tonemap_ctrl and tone down the bloom a bit. It was very bright in some places in both this version and the one that got playtested last week.

Happy mapping! :v 

Edited by Logic
Changed the incorrect names of the bombsites around.

1. The outer areas of A-site looks a lot better. I like the drop, kinda like a one-way flank with no return. I don't really like the jump that you have to do to get down there though. 
  2. The actual (A) site feels very stale and I can't see CT's try to defend it from inside since CT's would be completely trapped in case of an A rush split. Another entrance towards CT-spawn would probably make it feel a bit more open and allow CT's to retreat if they wish to.
  3. I'm not sure what to make of mid. It feels very awkward that CT's gets peeked from both door and the pathway straight across. It just seems like CT's would have a really hard time defending the double door without being completely exposed from the other entrance.
  4. I like where B is going, keep that up! Site allows for all kinds of plants which is always a plus! :D
  5. One last thing, you should add a tonemap_ctrl and tone down the bloom a bit. It was very bright in some places in both this version and the one that got playtested last week.

It sounds like the bomb sites have switched (so I switched the site names in your OP). Although I didn't touch the brushes I've heard a couple of reports now... Strange :|

1. What don't you like about the jump?
  2. Yeah, I'm looking into the doors atm, as CTs having to cut 90degrees on a corner to get into the site isn't the best flow
  3. Mid has flipped now, it's played down the long angle towards B long. Maybe try and think of the double doors as lower tunnels on D2?
  4. Thanks :) separating the path down and the window has really helped shape the site.
  5. I have the full lighting ripped straight out of ar_monastery. It's a bit OTT atm with dev textures, but is more controlled with the less reflective brick textures I plan to use

Thanks for checking it out :) 

It sounds like the bomb sites have switched (so I switched the site names in your OP). Although I didn't touch the brushes I've heard a couple of reports now... Strange :|

1. What don't you like about the jump?
  2. Yeah, I'm looking into the doors atm, as CTs having to cut 90degrees on a corner to get into the site isn't the best flow
  3. Mid has flipped now, it's played down the long angle towards B long. Maybe try and think of the double doors as lower tunnels on D2?
  4. Thanks :) separating the path down and the window has really helped shape the site.
  5. I have the full lighting ripped straight out of ar_monastery. It's a bit OTT atm with dev textures, but is more controlled with the less reflective brick textures I plan to use

Thanks for checking it out :) 

I thought the sites had switched place but thought I mixed them up. Oh, well. I fixed my original post. It always seem like the last bombsite you created becomes the A-site, not sure why they switch sporadically sometimes.

1. I don't like the jump because if feels like people will be very vulnerable while jumping on top of the ledge if someone is defending from below. I feel like people on top are already at a disadvantage since they have to be in the air when jumping down there and the angle they can peek from up top is very narrow, just like T's on Cobble's dropzone. Cobble at least has a nice ramp leading up to the drop.
  2. Exactly, I still like that entrance though, but not as a main entrance for CT's.
  3. I still think CT's will have a hard time defending both angles from that window, or maybe I'm just missing something here.
  4. Thumbs up!
  5. I still think you should implement some bloom control before the next playtest :)

2015-12-03_00004.thumb.jpg.82ade65c31602

I really like the skybox texture. It's pretty.

2015-12-03_00005.thumb.jpg.7bb41fd6371d9

2015-12-03_00006.thumb.jpg.984e9da256f56

The map is really bright sometimes. Maybe a tonemap could help this?

2015-12-03_00007.thumb.jpg.dc59e92821953

Weirdly enough, the minimap was confusing to me. I think it's due to everything being straight, with 90 degree angles. If some parts had 45 degree walls, I think it would be easier to look at and navigate through.

2015-12-03_00009.thumb.jpg.e295930cb3de3

I'm not really sure I like the bloodbaths happening here. CTs cant arrive early, otherwise it's too easy to defend, T's can't arrive too early otherwise they can take the bombsite, so right now they both arrive at the same time which makes for a bit of a bloodbath-crazy-shooting thing. Maybe some hints in the map on where to throw grenades, or props and colours that guide players in different directions could help spice this up with some more strategy? 

2015-12-03_00010.thumb.jpg.cdff39688d7612015-12-03_00011.thumb.jpg.e18b975f1409a

You can walk outside of the map! 

2015-12-03_00002.thumb.jpg.267db10cd0891

I liked this jumpy thing, though jumping from box to box is a lot easier than making it to the window. I failed that jump a couple of times, even when using a knife and crouch jumping, which was a bit annoying.

That's about all. I think there were also many things mentioned during the playtest? 

Remember, this is just my opinion! Use what you want and ignore what you want, it's your map!

Edited by Tyker

@Tyker thanks for taking the time to provide this feedback, I really appreciate it.

The skybox and all lighting elements (light_environment, tonemap, etc) have been ripped straight out of ar_monastery. I realise it can be a bit bright sometimes but as soon as I start detailing, this won't be a problem.

The blockiness of the level is something I'm definitely trying to improve upon, and after some discussion I think I use paths too literally and need to blend these a bit to create areas.

A was a test, I've been messing around with the chokepoint and couldn't find an ideal solution so had to test to see what I'd achieved. Sorry to put you all through that :P I've got a good idea of how to move past it though and I wasn't under any illusions as to how badly it could (and did) play.

As you can see in the screenshots, those people are outside the map in warmup. There's no damage in the play test warmups so people don't die there. There is both a hurt trigger for fall damage and a bomb return trigger there too.

The jump isn't meant to be easy, if anything I'd make the first jump harder to be more akin to the self boost on inferno B site. At this point I'm not even sure it'll stay!

Again, thanks for the feedback :) watch this space!

Edited by jackophant