Sjonsson

Games W.I.P Thread

wrote my own cubemap based fog system, no more flat color unity fog :)

wip59.jpg

wip60.jpg

I really love how this looks! Can I have more info about the game itself?

Hah thanks Seldoon :). I actually like that black bar for the interface, keeps it pretty clear like that. I'm still trying to figure out where I wanna go with it. The doom face is a cool idea but I think it's something uniquely for 90ies iD games that I don't want to rip off. It would kinda make this game obviously be trying to be a doom clone, which I don't think it is :P.

Right now the interface elements will be:

3 ammotypes:

-blue: shell based ammo (pistol, shotgun, chaingun)

-green: energy weapons (plasmagun, lasergun and teslagun)

-red: explosives (grenade launcher, sticky nade launcher and rocket launcher)

the purple number is money collected

2 healthbars, on for health and one for shield

my current thinking is putting money and items to the left of the screen, ammo to the right (in front of the gun, and only displaying for the guntype), and health and armor in the middle.

I'm currently switching over to the new unity UI so it'll be easier to play around with different setups :) 

Castle: it's a unity based FPS I've been working on with procedurally generated levels, I've been slowly working on it for a few years, and am now finally pushing it into something more finalized :). Core gameplay is pretty much run and gun with some puzzle elements and heavy physics manipulations (anything physics can be used as a weapon, even enemy gibs). The best way to describe the game i think is spelunky meets doom. It's hard, you will die a lot, and never play the same map twice

Hah thanks Seldoon :). I actually like that black bar for the interface, keeps it pretty clear like that. I'm still trying to figure out where I wanna go with it. The doom face is a cool idea but I think it's something uniquely for 90ies iD games that I don't want to rip off. It would kinda make this game obviously be trying to be a doom clone, which I don't think it is :P.

3 ammotypes:

2 healthbars, on for health and one for shield

my current thinking is putting money and items to the left of the screen, ammo to the right (in front of the gun, and only displaying for the guntype), and health and armor in the middle.

I'm currently switching over to the new unity UI so it'll be easier to play around with different setups :)

Castle: it's a unity based FPS I've been working on with procedurally generated levels, I've been slowly working on it for a few years, and am now finally pushing it into something more finalized :). Core gameplay is pretty much run and gun with some puzzle elements and heavy physics manipulations (anything physics can be used as a weapon, even enemy gibs). The best way to describe the game i think is spelunky meets doom. It's hard, you will die a lot, and never play the same map twice

You gooooo! Give a shout when you need some playtesting done, I'd love to give it a shot!

The Unity UI switch can take looots of time. I did that for a personal project of mine and it was a pretty big deal rehauling a big bunch of scripts and prefab structures.

For sure :)

Yeah I wasn't sure about doing the UI switch, but I think it's worth biting the bullet. I basically brute forced my old UI without putting much thought into properly organizing it (just because I needed something simple at the time), and by now it's just become an unmanageable mess off legacy GUI elements all controlled by different scripts. It's time for an overhaul so I can expand it to do more in the future.

I'm really loving the new UI system, so far it's been pretty fun switching over. Love how you can do animations and anchoring without having to code it into scripts now! And it seems pretty much infinitely customizeable, which the old one was not

Neither was I, it took me a couple of days to get it right and figure out the pipeline accordingly but I agree with you - it's so much better. I heard Unity actually brought in the guy who wrote NGUI (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/2413) and let him do the foundation for it.

And yes all of those functions - damn do I love 'em! Especially the Grid Layout Group component, tiling elements perfectly without you even lifting a finger. 

Ah thanks! Now that makes sense!

Hah thanks Seldoon  :). I actually like that black bar for the interface, keeps it pretty clear like that. I'm still trying to figure out where I wanna go with it. The doom face is a cool idea but I think it's something uniquely for 90ies iD games that I don't want to rip off. It would kinda make this game obviously be trying to be a doom clone, which I don't think it is  :P.

I understand you don't want to rip off the idea but that's for the antithesis. The thesis behind this kind of design is to give more information through some animation on the guy face like I'm picking up a new weapon. My health is low, very low, Dafuck I'm gona die quick, quick, let's cover! Adding such an element in the game isn't about rip off it's about giving quick glance information to the gamer. It could be a waste of time only if the element doesn't fit at all and that could be the case imo.

3 ammotypes:

I've seen you are balancing between displaying all type of ammo whatever the weapon or display only the ammotypes compared to the selected weapon. What's you opinion on this?

Bitcoins?  :lol: Seriously can you explain more about the implementation of this feature in the game?

Edited by Seldoon182

I've seen you are balancing between displaying all type of ammo whatever the weapon or display only the ammotypes compared to the selected weapon. What's you opinion on this?

My current thinking is show the ammo in big font for the weapon you have selected, and in small font for the unselected guns. Hopefully that will make it more clear :)

Bitcoins?   :lol: Seriously can you explain more about the implementation of this feature in the game?

Lol yes, it loses value over time :P

There's a slight RPG element to the game where you'll encounter characters at certain "rest areas". Think similar to the NPC's in dark souls. In the game it'll be suggested that they are similar to you, also running around in an endless procession of levels collectiing artifacts :P. They'll give you a little snippet of dialogue to hint at some bigger story, and you can trade guns/ammo/healthpacks/other items with them. Thinking too of them giving you missions in exchange for special items (bring the head of a boss, find a certain artifact, etc). I have the base systems already implemented for this, but havnt done any polish or artwork yet, so still a long way to go :) 

SO I realize this is for WIP games but how about a game that was finished recently that I worked on then made some videos of me playing it! I played a big role in the design of this game. I pushed to get the project into development, reworked and designed its core elements and managed a team for 6-12 people to get it as far along as possible. By the time money problems at the company had been resolved I had already found work at another company. They managed to take what was there and finish the game from the condition it was before layoffs.

So here is a video of me playing a game I designed for the first time LOL

https://youtu.be/zzO20g9S5Co

*For some reason I cant get this to link as a video.

Here is a link to the steam store page for Burnstar. bit.ly/1Em5kUq

Edited by Castle

SO I realize this is for WIP games but how about a game that was finished recently that I worked on then made some videos of me playing it! I played a big role in the design of this game. I pushed to get the project into development, reworked and designed its core elements and managed a team for 6-12 people to get it as far along as possible. By the time money problems at the company had been resolved I had already found work at another company. They managed to take what was there and finish the game from the condition it was before layoffs.

So here is a video of me playing a game I designed for the first time LOL

https://youtu.be/zzO20g9S5Co

*For some reason I cant get this to link as a video.

Here is a link to the steam store page for Burnstar. bit.ly/1Em5kUq

I think this might deserve its own thread in the Work Release section :)