Do you enjoy your job in the games industry?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you find your job is not fulfilling enough you can try to pursue other interests in your free time, preferably things that have nothing to do with gaming and that you are passionate about. We have

I remember the day I quite my job at the movie theater. The boss was like "get on the floor and scrub under the popcorn machine" and I had already clocked out and it was super late. He was being such

Working in the games industry:  

Not sure these companies have the means to know, and probably no desire to know anyway.

Be sure they know everything they need to know from their customers.

They know exactly what type of people are ready to spent x-$ on x-time for x-item. They are working with "working-bubbles", like for example they will provide 10.000 users an offer to buy a new tool that allow to harvest twice faster :they will also test the color of that item, the message and the moment they offer this tool. Then they gather datas from all those tests and try to optimize who (age, gender, liked pages, etc...) gonna buy that shit at x-time.

I think this is obvious abuse of fragile people, like "cash games" are. This is really easy to fall into that dependance, once you try you often keep paying.

PS : i know this wasn't the meaning of your quote, but I wanted to share my thought ^^

I've only been doing game development professionally for a couple of years, and only with independent companies. They've certainly been interesting and fulfilling experiences which have reinforced my desire to continue building worlds and environments for games. I decided to go back to university after losing my job last year, though, and I don't regret it. Programming is something I've never had much experience with (I'm one of those designer-types), so I chose to undertake a computer science degree. I don't think I would have been unable to learn the same programming concepts on my own, but the way the teaching is structured makes it easier for me to have a better understanding of these concepts more quickly, and having a schedule set by someone else helps to keep me focused (so I don't start shifting my goals around because there was a delay in completing one, for instance).

I don't know if I would have had the same level of comprehension if I was trying to teach myself programming concepts while also working on design or art for a game. Since I already have some professional experience with the latter, I'm working on building up these skills in my spare time away from studies, and when it's all done I'm hoping I'll have a better understanding of art and design, plus some new knowledge that can be applied to making games. I don't think I would have been able to learn as much if I was employed full-time, at least not in the same time frame, so this way of thinking always keeps me motivated through the times when I wish I could be working again with a really solid team on something exciting  :)

I do think there is immense value to what you accomplish outside of work (be it through a hobby, education, etc) even if it's not readily apparent. Sometimes this can be more valuable than the work itself (hmm, maybe the employers won't like this one, but I think in a lot of cases it's true). Before I started working on games professionally I was studying and training to become a commercial pilot. The discipline of planning and executing a successful flight has it's own relevancy to games development (like doing things correctly the first time, even if they are time-consuming), even though the specific procedures and skills are of little use unless I'm working on flight simulators or something.

Hey, that's another reason I like making games - when you make a mistake, there is significantly less risk of physical injury or death  ;)