Do you enjoy your job in the games industry?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you find your job is not fulfilling enough you can try to pursue other interests in your free time, preferably things that have nothing to do with gaming and that you are passionate about. We have

I remember the day I quite my job at the movie theater. The boss was like "get on the floor and scrub under the popcorn machine" and I had already clocked out and it was super late. He was being such

Working in the games industry:  

I remember the day I quite my job at the movie theater. The boss was like "get on the floor and scrub under the popcorn machine" and I had already clocked out and it was super late. He was being such a dick and used to bully everyone (still does to this day from what I've heard). I took my work shirt off and left. I had people running out the back door like "Jason come back!!!!!".  (It was like a movie scene)

Next week I applied and got an internship at Gearbox Software. I remember coming back for my final paycheck and showing my portfolio to my coworkers. My old boss was working that day and said to me "You'll never amount to anything".

Now every time I see him at the theater, I can't stop this giant grin from spreading across my face.

Feels good.

I love making games for a living. It's just, the best :)

Feel good story of the year :D

I remember the day I quite my job at the movie theater. The boss was like "get on the floor and scrub under the popcorn machine" and I had already clocked out and it was super late. He was being such a dick and used to bully everyone (still does to this day from what I've heard). I took my work shirt off and left. I had people running out the back door like "Jason come back!!!!!".  (It was like a movie scene)

Next week I applied and got an internship at Gearbox Software. I remember coming back for my final paycheck and showing my portfolio to my coworkers. My old boss was working that day and said to me "You'll never amount to anything".

Now every time I see him at the theater, I can't stop this giant grin from spreading across my face.

Feels good.

plz make this into a movie

I have been in the industry for so long now I dont even remember everything I worked on. I am happy to be doing what I love to do and in all honesty lately I have been more afraid that I'll end up unemployed for a long time again which was more soul crushing than working on a bad game. And I have worked on some bad games before let me tell you lol... None of it compared to having to push shopping carts at walmart while looking for work. During the interview they showed some of the games that they sold in the electronics department and one of them was Call Of Duty Black Ops and for some reason I pointed and said I worked on the first one. I am not sure why I bothered to mention it but nobody believed me anyway. None of those people were able to understand that there is a world outside of that place.

I had a guy talking during break with someone else talking about how he wanted to learn Unity but he messed around with Fallout modding. I mentioned that I worked on a couple really big mods for New Vegas. He said "Don't you push shopping carts?" I told him I had been working on games for a living for more than 10 years and he gave a sarcastic smile to his buddy like I was full of shit then continued talking about this one time he loaded up Unity.

*sigh* I'm more worried about experiencing shit like that again.

Holy shit that's a sick story, never heard anyone else had that experience before. Why the heck would you lie about working on a video game?! Gotta work harder so I don't need to push dem' carts.

Let's all go indie and make our mapcorean game.

Joke aside, I would really like to start a personnal project with other people.

That's an interesting thought though, I wonder what'd happen if the full strength of mapcore went together and did something, probably some kind of universe collapse of awesomeness. 

Feels good.

Haha!

Curiously, I wonder whats up with this "You will never amount to anything" stuff. Like is there some kind of glass ceiling I am not aware of? A lot of people get into this idea that if you are working minimum wage or in the service industry its indicative of your actual value in society. In reality, there are way too many factors to determine what someone is actually capable of.

Right now just about anyone can take up insane things like robotics and 3D printing for example and receive almost zero relevant help from school because the classes either suck or just dont exist yet and potentially become a made-up-number-air. Its the exact same thing I experienced a long time ago when getting into the game industry. I was actually told that I will grow out of wanting to play with computers. There were zero classes to teach game design in the college I was at. When asking about them starting classes for game design I was pretty much laughed at.

This was Rockland Community College in new york in the late 90s. Now that I am back in the same area it might be amusing to see how much things have changed on this front and if I can be lucky enough to find the same staff who I talked with back in the day. That would actually be insanely amusing to me now that I think about it. LOL

Edited by Castle

Holy shit that's a sick story, never heard anyone else had that experience before. Why the heck would you lie about working on a video game?! Gotta work harder so I don't need to push dem' carts.

This a misnomer. I wasn't necessarily in that situation due to laziness. This was a hard lesson in what can happen if you are not very good at two very important things.

1. Selling yourself

2. Networking

I am in a situation where I spent ALL of my time working and zero of my time putting myself out there. I didn't go to the parties and meet people in my relevant industry. I didn't keep my portfolio out there and I didn't make sure to have a presence. I still suck at job interviews on top of that. So I mean, while the post I put up may incite pity to some extent, I look back on it as both a hard lesson and just how quickly you can fall out if all you spend your time on his honing your art. There is actually a time when going out to have a beer with industry people for a fun night is better than learning how to get better at what you do. I am paraphrasing but its actually true.

Edited by Castle

This a misnomer. I wasn't necessarily in that situation due to laziness. This was a hard lesson in what can happen if you are not very good at two very important things.

1. Selling yourself

2. Networking

I am in a situation where I spent ALL of my time working and zero of my time putting myself out there. I didn't go to the parties and meet people in my relevant industry. I didn't keep my portfolio out there and I didn't make sure to have a presence. I still suck at job interviews on top of that. So I mean, while the post I put up may incite pity to some extent, I look back on it as both a hard lesson and just how quickly you can fall out if all you spend your time on his honing your art. There is actually a time when going out to have a beer with industry people for a fun night is better than learning how to get better at what you do. I am paraphrasing but its actually true.

Thanks for sharing that, I always think about skill level in a prestigeful way and it feels like other juniors like me tend to do the same. Definitely gonna keep that in mind.

Currently I'm a Junior at Jagex. Do I enjoy my job? Eh. It's had lots of ups and downs...

It started out pretty well as it was my first time in the industry and my first time living away from home. Everything was all new and shiny. For the first 9 months or so, I enjoyed what I was doing as I was just working on maps with a bunch of direction from my lead and other peeps. It was genuinely awesome.

But then things went shitty. First off, our lead left without a replacement. Then I was thrown onto a part of the project that was horribly mismanaged as higher ups didn't know what the fuck they wanted resulting in a constant cycle of redoing work over and over and over again, whilst doing overtime, of course. To top it all off, there was the 3 month period where I had literally nothing to do, which was hugely demotivating...but I at least managed to spend that time learning to write random random things in C# / Unity such as tools and a visual scripting system.

Currently, I see my job as something I just have to get over and done with. Don't get me wrong - I still think it's awesome that I get to make the vidya games, but for a long time I've felt undervalued, unchallenged, and - well - simply bored.

I guess the saddest thing from all this is that I no longer have the motivation to work on levels in my spare time and I often question whether there is much of a future for me in the industry.

*shrug*