PogoP

Do you enjoy your job in the games industry?

I love it and couldn't imagine doing anything else. Didn't matter if it was a good project, shitty project, doomed to fail pitch or whatever, I loved working on all of them because I get to do my hobby for a living. Getting to release a succesfull game some day would be nice :), but in the end it's all about the journey, not the end.

Sigma had it right, don't live to work - work to live, if you are not enjoying what you are doing you are wasting your life and need to have a condor moment.

idk, i read live to work as the choice with the passion. work to live sounds a little bleak.  

Loving it so far :), though I'm only in for roughly one year, and the amount of bullshit was pretty low.

Guess I'm really lucky to work for Yager, too. They take really good care of their employees, and try to not crunch them to death. Even in the busy weeks before e3, there was little too no overtime involved. Great projects, flat hirarchy, you can basically work on what you feel is best for the project, all the managment gets done by the team, etc. :).

Things are awesome at the moment!

I love being a technical artist. I found a great balance with personal life and personal projects.

Not much too complain. The only thing would be to have other technical artist colleagues again as I am a project again where I am a one man army. I am already used to it, but I feel like learning more when having more discussions about it with another ta.

We are human; there are ups and downs. I get into slumps quite a bit, more so when I feel like a challenge is missing. Right now that is the dilemma I'm in at work. I love coming in, interacting with fellow employees and friends but sometimes the work is mundane and not enjoyable. Working on side projects flexes my brain muscles and increases my drive to improve my process.

I love it and couldn't imagine doing anything else. Didn't matter if it was a good project, shitty project, doomed to fail pitch or whatever, I loved working on all of them because I get to do my hobby for a living. Getting to release a succesfull game some day would be nice :), but in the end it's all about the journey, not the end.

A straight up +1

Like, sure, there's ups and downs. It happens with every creative and artistic job but man, in the end I'm doing what I only dreamed of doing when I was 18.

And for me what also matters a lot, other than the minute by minute amazing journey that we have, it's what we offer to the players. Like the joy that I feel when I play a Naughty Dog game (just to give an hypothetical example) I just strive that I can offer a similar kind of joy to players out there with what I work on, that feeling of working on something really special, putting it out there and get amazing feedback from the players... man, that's what it's all about for me. I can be a bit insecure sometimes, and listening some good feedback gives me more drive to keep up than anything else. Like "Wow, people actually enjoy what I'm doing, they get out of their way to play it and even comment on it? Fuck... that's awesome I'm gonna do some more then". I know this is very personal, but it's what drives me.

As for the OP, I've also been through some phases where I just feel like doing some personal work instead of focusing 100% on the 9 to 5 job, maybe the latter will "suffer" a little bit by it temporarily, but in the end the inspiration and creativity flow I get when making my personal work will eventually pay off and be poured into the 9 to 5 job.

It does to me sound like you're in need of doing the same, maybe even a little bit more radical, like taking some time off from a full-time job, and doing an indie game, or just some maps for Unreal Tournament or CS:Go or whatever else is out there that you might be interested, what matters in the end of the day is that you feel your time was spent in something meaningful for you, and doing something meaningful to you personally is exactly what you sound like you need.

Pogo, I'm gonna mention something that might sound a bit self-explanatory, something noone have mentioned yet.

What are you doing outside of work? Are you eating enough good food? Are you sleeping enough? Are you working out?  Do you eat your vitamins? etc etc...

For me, all of those things, if I don't take care about them my motivation will break down no matter what I do. My point is, maybe it's not work related at all, maybe it's something completely different, not necessarily one of the things I listed.

So what about me? I've gone straight on the indie-dev path together with four other fellas and what I've figured so far that is both good and bad about being an indie is that you really have to do a tons of things that aren't your expertise at all necessarily. Sure I do my designing part of the games but there are so many times I just find my self tweaking GUI variables, creating simple art  and so on. But what I found myself doing the most, since I'm the talkative guy in the group, is a lot of management, networking and just doing all of those things that needs to be done, simply because everyone else always seem to have a high-prio task linked to their expertise (art and coding.)

I like doing that stuff at least a little, but there's nothing like just making maps and tweaking gameplay and that's what I'd always want to do it. I just don't see that happening on a really small company like ours, then again; variation is good.

Loving it so far :), though I'm only in for roughly one year, and the amount of bullshit was pretty low.

Guess I'm really lucky to work for Yager, too. They take really good care of their employees, and try to not crunch them to death. Even in the busy weeks before e3, there was little too no overtime involved. Great projects, flat hirarchy, you can basically work on what you feel is best for the project, all the managment gets done by the team, etc. :).

Finally some good words about the AAA-studios, I've been hearing so much shit about them in terms of overtime et cetera I've lost quite a bit of interest in applying for the bigger studios. But maybe, since the game dev business is still in its infancy (in comparison to others), there will be a time when working in this industry could mean an economic security and not be as volatile.

Edited by Sjonsson

Hey man!

To be honest, I think it's that side of things that I'm not really looking after. I eat healthily, but in terms of exercise, I get barely any these days. I need to motivate myself to start exercising, it always makes you feel good. Also, I don't think I'm sleeping well enough either! I'm going to work on those aspects first I think, and start taking better care of my self.

Also, I gotta say, that Sony is actually a great place to work. The pay is really good, holiday is great, we get half days on Friday in summer, no overtime, and a great bunch of guys. The only downside is the slow progress of the project but you get that everywhere really. And I guess that's the nature of new tech!

You've opened my eyes a bit more man, I'm gonna work on that other stuff. :)

Edited by PogoP

Pogo, I'm gonna mention something that might sound a bit self-explanatory, something noone have mentioned yet.

What are you doing outside of work? Are you eating enough good food? Are you sleeping enough? Are you working out?  Do you eat your vitamins? etc etc...

For me, all of those things, if I don't take care about them my motivation will break down no matter what I do. My point is, maybe it's not work related at all, maybe it's something completely different, not necessarily one of the things I listed.

So what about me? I've gone straight on the indie-dev path together with four other fellas and what I've figured so far that is both good and bad about being an indie is that you really have to do a tons of things that aren't your expertise at all necessarily. Sure I do my designing part of the games but there are so many times I just find my self tweaking GUI variables, creating simple art  and so on. But what I found myself doing the most, since I'm the talkative guy in the group, is a lot of management, networking and just doing all of those things that needs to be done, simply because everyone else always seem to have a high-prio task linked to their expertise (art and coding.)

I like doing that stuff at least a little, but there's nothing like just making maps and tweaking gameplay and that's what I'd always want to do it. I just don't see that happening on a really small company like ours, then again; variation is good.

Finally some good words about the AAA-studios, I've been hearing so much shit about them in terms of overtime et cetera I've lost quite a bit of interest in applying for the bigger studios. But maybe, since the game dev business is still in its infancy (in comparison to others), there will be a time when working in this industry could mean an economic security and not be as volatile.

Yep, I kinda felt the same before joinging AAA because of all the horror you get to hear, but I guess you have to experience it yourself to judge. Awesome to have such a positive suprise!

Yeahse, still love it. Like others have already said then that's the benefit of having your hobby as your job, and you need that love for the craft to get through the really hard times (which in turn won't feel quite that hard).

Granted that I'm trying my hand in more traditional game design these days. Though, since it's a small team, it also involves all kind of other shit (UI/UX work, managing localization, project managment as well as actually desigining and balancing games). I will say that I'm glad that I'm taking a break from what I've spent the last decade doing and trying to get outta my comfort zone, I think I chose the perfect time in my career to try something a bit different, get some new perspective on things and experience in different aspects of game development, hopefully that's shit that'll be handy as the industry keeps evolving.

But I was feeling pretty burned out after finishing up on the last Hitman game, which was by far the toughest crunch I've experienced. But then I'd also gone from project to project for nearly 10 years without ever taking more time off than the obligatory summer vacation, and after a while then it does start feeling a bit unhealthy to never take some time to get properly away from it all. To continuously take care of yourself and prep yourself for the long haul (if you want to stay in games that is) is by far the biggest lesson I've learned the last year or so.

But even now then I'm planning on getting back to level design again. For better or worse then it feels like I've been programmed to do that shit for life :)

Spent only 3 years in this industry right now but I had a lot of different style of work. Started for a small french company, then the biggest, then as a contractual for a really specific work were I was alone (the most difficult that hit my nerves so hard). Made some personal stuff during a period of unemployment then worked for an indie at home and now in a cool medium sized company in south France on a AAA.

All I can say is that I enjoyed all of those work, even if the game was shit, even if the pay wasn't that good. I can't imagined working for another industry as a main job (because games was a dream, now I want to try something else I dreamt too on the side, music or writting). And now I found the great balance between job and life even if I miss the indie vide with the cool scheduldes like Dux said, I'm working with some great people and some of my best firend and I'm starting a new life with my gf in a few weeks, someone who understand the importance of my work and that I need to do personal stuff at home, I think this help too.

And I wish someday I will get more involved in game dev, maybe my own game where I can make the story and a lot of other things than just make levels.

Hope you will find your balance guys, don't want to miss you on the core :(

Well personally i start to be a bit used up aswell, not by the work i still love, but by my situation. I have been in 3 companies for the last 5 years. One which closed after my 6 months contract, another ran by gangster bosses in Paris which closed after 2 years (lots of adventures) and Creative Assembly in England which was more solid but which i left after 1 year.

And well when i began working i didn't mind moving, but nowadays i start feeling the effects : for one I have my girlfriend who doesn't like relocating so often or having an ocean separating her from her family, and on the other side my parents who are getting older and all the consecutive health problems ( 77 - 75 years old respectively ) and since i'm their only child i feel i cannot move as far away as the other side of the world. So there's that which have been a great burden for me when i was in England for a year to try out the foreign worker experience. Especially since CA is located in a small isolated town, and although I may lived the worst that can happen to you in Paris work wise (everything we made thrown to the trash, and the studio quickly degenerated into an extreme version of the raft of the medusa)  i have met some awesome friends and paradoxically had a really great time getting my work done in this agitated challenging environment. At CA things were running smoothly (more or so), i loved the franchise i was working on (big total war fanboy) but god the atmosphere was depressing, I have no idea what was going on in this studio, everyone was super nice but somehow found human interaction awkward, they just started their day sitting on their chair with a timid "morning" (and so i did), went for the microwave for lunch and left work without a word. God the cold shower i took on my first days when i was used to see clashes between people out loud in the open space. 

So maybe i'm unlucky, maybe i'm looking for it. I still love doing environment art but like 3dnj said, you have to find your balance. And today it's not really the case for me and i'm getting a bit used up :/, i'm considering starting studies again to do something else, but really that would break my heart.

but god the atmosphere was depressing, I have no idea what was going on in this studio, everyone was super nice but somehow found human interaction awkward, they just started their day sitting on their chair with a timid "morning" (and so i did), went for the microwave for lunch and left work without a word.

That is my worst nightmare. Seriously.