Do you enjoy your job in the games industry?

PogoP

I have been in the industry for so long now I dont even remember everything I worked on. I am happy to be doing what I love to do and in all honesty lately I have been more afraid that I'll end up unemployed for a long time again which was more soul crushing than working on a bad game. And I have worked on some bad games before let me tell you lol... None of it compared to having to push shopping carts at walmart while looking for work. During the interview they showed some of the games that they sold in the electronics department and one of them was Call Of Duty Black Ops and for some reason I pointed and said I worked on the first one. I am not sure why I bothered to mention it but nobody believed me anyway. None of those people were able to understand that there is a world outside of that place.

I had a guy talking during break with someone else talking about how he wanted to learn Unity but he messed around with Fallout modding. I mentioned that I worked on a couple really big mods for New Vegas. He said "Don't you push shopping carts?" I told him I had been working on games for a living for more than 10 years and he gave a sarcastic smile to his buddy like I was full of shit then continued talking about this one time he loaded up Unity.

*sigh* I'm more worried about experiencing shit like that again.

Edited by Castle

Can confirm.

Well that's quite harsh from my part really, i mean it wasn't void of any human interactions (and there was some french guys there to talk to and other people when i was having a smoke), but the atmosphere at CA definitely made me socially awkward. I don't know if it was the fact that i was a foreigner or if there is a tacit agreement within the workings of the company; actually it's still is a big mystery for me.

Can confirm.

Well that's quite harsh from my part really, i mean it wasn't void of any human interactions (and there was some french guys there to talk to and other people when i was having a smoke), but the atmosphere at CA definitely made me socially awkward. I don't know if it was the fact that i was a foreigner or if there is a tacit agreement within the workings of the company; actually it's still is a big mystery for me.

We need to make our own indie studio richard!!11!!1

but god the atmosphere was depressing, I have no idea what was going on in this studio, everyone was super nice but somehow found human interaction awkward, they just started their day sitting on their chair with a timid "morning" (and so i did), went for the microwave for lunch and left work without a word.

That is my worst nightmare. Seriously.

I'm imagining an office full of Duxs :P

I have been in the industry for so long now I dont even remember everything I worked on. I am happy to be doing what I love to do and in all honesty lately I have been more afraid that I'll end up unemployed for a long time again which was more soul crushing than working on a bad game. And I have worked on some bad games before let me tell you lol... None of it compared to having to push shopping carts at walmart while looking for work. During the interview they showed some of the games that they sold in the electronics department and one of them was Call Of Duty Black Ops and for some reason I pointed and said I worked on the first one. I am not sure why I bothered to mention it but nobody believed me anyway. None of those people were able to understand that there is a world outside of that place.

I had a guy talking during break with someone else talking about how he wanted to learn Unity but he messed around with Fallout modding. I mentioned that I worked on a couple really big mods for New Vegas. He said "Don't you push shopping carts?" I told him I had been working on games for a living for more than 10 years and he gave a sarcastic smile to his buddy like I was full of shit then continued talking about this one time he loaded up Unity.

This is really sad man. I'm very happy you found a job again. Fuck, that must have been depressing.

I don't enjoy that old gen consoles hold how much work we putting into things back :( I know its more art related, but sometimes thats part of the design and the magic of the experience.

Design has improved less than art for sure. But the tools some studios are producing are making design not easier but more fluid and rewarding. From what I've seen and done in UE4 and what I've seen from Snowdrop, things are only getting awesome this generation.

Honestly, if I learned one thing throughout all these years of working in several jobs (construction and deconstruction, horticulture, postman, IT, retail, customer service and traffic management) is that the most shittiest job are doable as long as you have the colleagues that make it fun.

Yes, I enjoy my life in the game industry ! 
Sometimes it's hard ; mix it with family life or simply the work itself (challenges, schedules, technical problems,...) but it's like the other jobs I imagine...with the difference that here, we can always imagine new things when a new project is starting or during its development. 
I always learn new things in my domain and I always discover new artists, new architectures, new places to explore, etc.

I don't know if I'll do that during all my live but currently I'm enjoying that (and if I have to change...what can I do ? :P ) !

Oh yes, I forgot to tell you that I have to tolerate a member from Mapcore in my job...THIS is hard !!! Ahaha I'm joking <3

This post made me angry at the universe