PaulH

Rise of the Tomb Raider - (Timed) XB1 exclusive

On a snow-themed quest for the secret to immortality, sounds like Uncharted 2 to me! :cool:

Joking aside, really looking forward to this. Its predecessor was such an unexpected gem, but as a result it has a lot to live up to this time. It's also got stiff competition in the form of Uncharted 4, which of course exists in that same Indiana Jones-esque genre. Hopefully the end will be two fantastic games of that type this year. :-D

It'll have to be really good to make me get an XBone, though. I'm still waiting for a killer title to convince me to hand over my cash.

Hey guys,

I was paid a lot of money to make a game for the Xbox One. It's an exclusive. Well, not really, but we are going to pretend that and later admit that we will be withholding the game for a year so that the other peasants can play it too. Also, we put a lot of effort into rebooting Tom Raider. Now that it's successful, we don't feel that need to excel anymore. Besides, the money is already in the bank. We've been playing a lot of Uncharted and The Last of Us. Naughty Dog unfortunately did not want to work with us so we replaced Drake with Lara, copied the Uncharted 2 setting and borrowed a lot of gameplay elements from the previously mentioned titles. It's with great pride that I will show you new gameplay from "Theft of the Uncharted Series". Sorry, I mean, "The Last of Us in the Snow". Dammit, it's "Rise of the Tomb Raider" of course.

Regards,

Crystal Clear Ripoff uh... Dynamics.

I dunno if it's my internet but the quality of all these latest trailers is terrible despite setting it to 720/1080.

Anyway, HOW CAN THEY NOT SEE HER JUMPING FROM THE SHED!!! Or all the other instances where's she's clearly in the AIs peripheral view?! WHAT'S WITH THE BOW DOUBLE KILL??

This is a bit too much and unbelievable to be immersive, also she feels like Sam Fisher more than Lara. I can't be excited for this at the moment. I'm not convinced by the movement/controls, especially after I did start the reboot and movement wasn't perfected as it should in a game like this.

I've only skipped through a few parts of the video but it looks extremely similar to the previous game, including the setting. With that said, I wasn't particularly impressed by the pre-release stuff for that either yet the final game ended up being quite a delight because despite the blatant aping from Uncharted (which itself did the same to the earlier Tomb Raider games) it distinguished itself with the more open-ended hub approach to the gameplay and such. I really liked the atmosphere of feeling like you could freely traverse the whole island, at least once you unlocked the areas.

I don't know if they're keeping that concept this time, but in my opinion that's the one thing that really set the previous game apart from Uncharted, which is comparatively more of a linear fixed roller coaster ride of awesomeness. I hope that haven't lost sight of this.

I played the first one after having picked it up in a sale for cheap. I went in with quite low expectations because I hadn't enjoyed a Tomb Raider since my childhood and, like Thrik, wasn't too impressed with the pre-release footage of the game. I only expected I'd play it for a little while and would never complete it. However, I think I completed it in a week. I couldn't put it down and I loved exploring and discovering the small tombs.

If it's more of the same I'll probably with some new mechanics I think I'd be pretty happy with it.

YT popped this up on my homepage

I don't remember seeing an intro sequence stiff as this one, since when intro sequences were done in CG and keyframed in the 90s.

The whole locomotion system doesn't look good at all, everything seems fake and there's not a proper transition between animations. When she jumps feels like the first Super Mario, jumping way higher than you would expect.

I don't have hopes they'll improve by release, as Tomb Raider reboot already suffered of this problem (not this much, but control felt jaggy. I haven't picked that game back up since the first brief session! -_-

Edited by blackdog