Learning UE4

Beck

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I don't fully understand the subscription thing yet. If I subscribe now, get Unreal 4.4. Stop subscribing and in 5 months I subscribe again for one month, do I get all the changes in between version 4.4 and whatever version we'll have at that time? Free of cost? How does porting go, will my project be compatible or will "hopping" over a whole set of updates make that difficult?

hmm, I was wondering about the upgrading too and whether it would break your projects.

I am so close to paying.

In my experience so far I've updated two editor versions and transferred my project between both. The only issue so far has been that a blueprint door with a timeline in it now throws up errors on load, which I can't find reference to online. The door works fine though, so I'm not sure if it's a massive issue. I tried re-making the timeline but the error persists. Annoyingly also you have to re-download any tutorial projects every time you upgrade, as they all change to work with the newest version, and some of these are 2-3gb.

All else seems ok, though my project isn't that complex yet. I'd say give it a go and buy a month's subscription, cancelling it straight away. It's pretty cheap and a month should include at least two different editor versions. 

hmm, I was wondering about the upgrading too and whether it would break your projects.

I am so close to paying.

In my experience so far I've updated two editor versions and transferred my project between both. The only issue so far has been that a blueprint door with a timeline in it now throws up errors on load, which I can't find reference to online. The door works fine though, so I'm not sure if it's a massive issue. I tried re-making the timeline but the error persists. Annoyingly also you have to re-download any tutorial projects every time you upgrade, as they all change to work with the newest version, and some of these are 2-3gb.

All else seems ok, though my project isn't that complex yet. I'd say give it a go and buy a month's subscription, cancelling it straight away. It's pretty cheap and a month should include at least two different editor versions. 

Just one addition/catch from my side: If you want to build a level for the new UT, keep in mind that you will need an active subscription to get access to the GitHub repository/latest files.

I am so close to paying.

you can convert these the same way you convert your own projects, or just keep the engine version you downloaded them  with

I am so close to paying.

you can convert these the same way you convert your own projects, or just keep the engine version you downloaded them  with

Good to know, where is the conversion option though? As I think my mate who I'm working with has been doing the converting manually. Opening the launcher I can see, for example 'Shooter Game' says it's compatible with 4.3 (which I still have installed), but there doesn't seem to be an option there to convert to 4.4

• 2 weeks later...

Yo guys I had some random errors with launching the editor so I saw the advice of trying to reinstall the whole bunch. Well, now I did that but I can't download 4.4.0... It just says "subscribe", I already subscribed for a month so why can't I download that version anymore? Do you need an active subscription for that, kinda weird...? :S

It's not a new update, I subscribed around the time of 4.4.0 so I should be able to download that version whenever I want, right? Anyhow, I looked into the issue more and it seems like it's some server-sided problem. Guess I'll have to try again tomorrow or something :/ There goes my productive Sunday :D