Games to get someone into gaming for the first time?

Chimeray

So my dad dropped this bomb on me. "Son, give me a list of the top games I should be able to play or a curve of games so my motor skills will be good enough for the later ones."

I figured we all come across this along the road some time, maybe a girlfriend, maybe your father in law that doesn't understand what this "game development" is all about and such... So I figured it was worthy of a topic of its own.

So we're talking about "accessible" (+1 for buzzword) games for PC.

So far I'm thinking Limbo although I haven't had great success with other people cos the puzzles get quite hard very fast.

The walking dead is pretty easy and interesting as well but the choices sometimes don't give you a lot of time and you have to react quite fast...

Thomas was alone but that might be a bit too abstract for him...

World of goo could be a winner.

Any others?

When I read the title of this thread, immediately the name The Walking Dead jumped to my mind, amazing game for people that have no knowledge of how games have evolved since Pac Mam.

I'd say also Brothers a tale of two sons and beyond two souls.

Those are just games that sorta mix movies and games perfectly, if that person enjoys movies he/she will love these games.

There's also a variety of games out there that are more "games" per se, it depends very much on the person, but games like Doki-Doki Universe are awesome for non-gamer people, my wife loved it for some reason, I fail to see the appeal :P

My father loves (literaly putting thousand of hours into each game):

- Civilization 5

- TES Oblivion & Skyrim

- Anno series

- Total War series

- Mount & Blade

He started gaming only a couple years ago and his motor skills are really bad but that doesn't stop him to enjoy the games. What the old folks lack in skill is compensated by their enthusiasm. They are literaly like little kids enjoying to play video games because it's new to them and they didn't grew up with it. My mom is the same. She's bad at pretty much every game but puts thousands of hours into Mario, Zelda etc.

Counter Strike Global Offensive Ranked Competitive 5on5

:twisted:

I think you might wanna consider shooters pretty soon, just make sure he plays singleplayer on easy. Depends on how bad he is atm of course. :D Walking Dead is a good fit probably, agreed on that. Maybe Portal games? If he likes puzzling.

Yea Zelda is what got my father into TES games. He liked it on DS but his fingers are too big for it so i suggested Oblivion for an adventure on PC. First he was afraid of this sort of game because of his bad motor skills. But starting to play on easy fixed this.

It's fun he played like 2000 hours of Skyrim but occasionaly he still asks me to find his way out of a dungeon.

Edited by Steppenwolf

I suppose thinking games, management or turn based are a good bet, then building up to real time games in the future. Was hilarious to see my mum try and play Crysis when she never played a shooter before, was quite eye opening for me actually because you easily forget your first time :P

I guess - starting from scratch it's more about the pressure in needing to perform lots of quick actions to win the game, so anything that allows you to stop, pause and do it at your own pace is great to start with.

What sorts of books/movies is your dad into? If we knew the genre giving him a game in the same genre may be a good start.

Action/Thriller mostly. He's into the Godfather, Band of Brothers, James Bond, The Bourne Identity, Ocean's Eleven, Deadwood. That sorta stuff, can't really think of stuff that's comparable in the gaming realm cos mostly they don't have a narrative that's as suspenseful or strong. Perhaps a heist game like Monaco might be up his alley, I'll ask. ;)

So far he's enjoying the Walking Dead, at first I thought it would be too hard but it's surprisingly easy, even when he uses the trackpoint on his laptop! :) Succes!

I suppose thinking games, management or turn based are a good bet, then building up to real time games in the future.

Any suggestions? Anything like Brain Age for the DS would be ideal I think, he has an Ipad he can play on as well and then my mom can join in as well ;)

I doubt he's into management games, probably reminds him too much of his job haha xD I'm not really into turn based games myself so I can't suggest anything, any ideas?

TY all!  :)

Edited by Chimeray