PogoP

(UE4) Sci-fi Colony Bunk Room

Someone spent too much time working on aliens :D

This!

Dude, more than you know. Even the modelling techniques look the same...

I guess I am using similar modelling techniques (lots of tiling materials!), but in terms of architecture, this scene is nothing like Alien. I'm actually looking at a lot of Submarine and Ship cabins for my inspiration mainly. I think it's mainly the white panelling that gives it a Alien feel. I'm not using any kind of vinyl padding in my scene though ;)

Hehe, maybe something like that'll be incorporated into the story. I was bored at work today and started thinking up idea and story behind the scene, and will be working to incorporate elements of this into the environment. Here goes!

Orbiting Planetary Engineering Facility

Summary: An orbiting space station above a planet in the beginning stages of being terraformed. The space station is a base for the research scientists and engineers involved in the terraforming. They primarily live on this station, but also go on excursions down to the planet for weeks at a time in order to seed the planet with algae and other microbes, with the end goal of making the planet hospitable in generations to come. The station generates it's own gravity via its spinning superconductors below the station, and has the technology to create food (as well as having large stores from Earth), and also generates and recycles it's own breathable air.

A large group of scientists and engineers left Earth 40 years previously, aboard a giant interstellar space station, in order to travel to the nearest star system to ours and start up a human colony in a different star system.

However, Earth received a distress signal 5 years into the terraforming process. A single garbled message was received, and no other contact has been made since. Fortunately, since the departure of the original crew, technology has been developed that has reduced the large amount of time required to travel across space, but the time required is still fairly substantial.

You are one of the crew members sent to investigate the cause of the distress signal. After waking up from 10 years in stasis, you are approaching the station, eager to find out what caused the distress signal.

Purpose:
 - Primarily to learn Unreal 4 rendering techniques.
 - Learn basic Unreal blueprints (opening doors, turning on light switches etc)
 - Show a scene from beginning to end, showing all stages of production.
 - Release online for other people to learn from.
 - Investigate environmental storytelling.

Inspiration:
Alien, Bioshock, Ringworld, Halo.

And here's another shot of a kitchen area in the bunk room. Not quite sure what I think of the white cupboard doors/drawers. Might change that to the same wood, but don't know if it'll blend in too much! Might try putting in some metal frames. 

screen_13_08_2014_a.jpg

After this, I'd really like to make the airlock you first enter, if this were a proper game. I love the idea of you coming out of stasis, donning your spacesuit, docking to the space station, and finding out what happened onboard.

I really like where this is going! Sorry for the lack of technical feedback here but I'm only just starting to use UE4 myself and am completely new to level design as well. I look forward to seeing how this ends up and equally to you potentially releasing it so I can tear it open and learn something from it.

It's cool that it's realistic, but I think the scene itself is extremely dull. It's like the least interesting part of an epic RPG or something. But if it helps you learn the editor ^^

I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to see something a bit more ambitious/less confined conceptually, sort of like how Sampa was a big cityscape. Not because there's anything wrong with this scene per-se, it just doesn't hold much inherent interest. In terms of crit of the scene, some more blues or hard reds would definitely help liven it up, not to mention some signs of human life. Sorry if this came across as reductive in any way, you're obviously demonstrating a lot of technical skill here.

That's a very charming comment Shawn! :)

Honestly though I'm looking for any and all feedback, so please do share your thoughts on why you think it looks dull. I have a great deal of dressing left to do on this scene, it's still just the bare bones really, plus I have some exterior stuff I want to work on too, as well as getting lots of blueprint stuff in.

I don't have a great deal of time to work on stuff at home really, this is why I chose a really contained environment.

Edit - You used your super admin skills to beat my edit! So yeah, see above as to why I'm not doing something on the scale of Minos' city scene. I can always expand this into much more than just a simple bunk room, it's only one small part of a space station after all!

Edited by PogoP

That's a very charming comment Shawn! :)

Honestly though I'm looking for any and all feedback, so please do share your thoughts on why you think it looks dull. I have a great deal of dressing left to do on this scene, it's still just the bare bones really, plus I have some exterior stuff I want to work on too, as well as getting lots of blueprint stuff in.

I don't have a great deal of time to work on stuff at home really, this is why I chose a really contained environment.

I mean obviously you're being ironic, but I think it's a pretty fair crit. What I'm seeing is a wood paneled bedroom in presumably a space station of some sort. I need a little bit more to grab onto, at least in my opinion.

Wood panelling is an interesting choice, but right now there's not much story there. Is this set in like the Aliens universe? Am I supposed to be scared by the scene? Impressed by the level of detail? Should I eventually find it humorous if you add in more 1970s elements? None of that is clear to me, but those are the sorts of decisions that would help me find the scene intrinsically more interesting.

You're doing a great job with the geometry, but I do think some ideas or more color or detail intensity is needed. Genuinely hope that helps.

e: after really re-reading my original post it is too harshly worded. Sorry d00d. I stand by the crit but I hate when people aren't more careful about wording of crit, so my bad.

Well damn you guys are harsh, I think it looks absolutely awesome Liam ! I love the first & the last shot ! That could be out of 2001 ! But I think you already feel the effects of making PBR mats, people got bored of realistic painting, there is no reason they won't get bored of realistic videogames either :D

You indeed should think of a bit of background story (or a theme)  to dress the scene up. Like - aliens have attacked  -,  - They did a party there -, - It's christmas !! - , - they had sex on that banket - (that would be cool), - the exit to space have been opened - etc or think about who is the person who lives there and who do she/he is and how the interior decoration should reflect that;  and then make the dressing props and details in accordance to what you choosed :)

Well at least what would be interesting i think, would be elements contrasting with the futuristic and plain interior of a space station like colorful and noisy pictures, garlands, maybe go even more 70s, curtains for the window, a clock (work well to set the scene in time), food, a poster of the tour of a band from 2087, impressionist paintings of the countryside, a smoky ashtray, a blunderbuss on a wall, old books or a medieval tapestry why not, making the two periods of time contrasting, or at least making things coming from earth contrast from being in space but go quite bold on that.

But I do think it looks really really cool mate !

I think you nailed the style completly, you just should add some life in the piece like the others said, put some random stickers on the wall, posters of the earth, family pictures and stuff like that, add some cardboard boxes with food in it, put a suit on the hooks... , just try to make a scene wich explain a story, and it will be really cool.

Edited by RaVaGe

In my humble opinion I think it's a perfectly executed scene which demonstrates a lot of skill. However, I think it suffers from a color issue. It's one of those you either love it or hate it kinda things. Adding props ain't going to fix that. So I would either stick with it or, if I felt inclined to cater the masses, I would drop the whole brown look and add some stronger colors like white/red, white/grey, etc. It would drastically change the scene's appearance but you would also lose it's original vision.

Illustration for color suggestion:

R4Bb95e.jpg