Nerve

In need of someone who knows about cars!

Right, I've had an issue with my Focus for a while.

It squeaks from the rear (and what sounds like directly underneath) when my brake pedal or handbrake is released. Garage have had it several times and say they've cleaned and adjusted stuff but no change. I'm convinced something needs to be replaced.

Brakes work fine, it's just the squeak that is driving me mad now. One thing to note is that if the handbrake is on then the brake pedal doesn't squeak, which after looking around on-line, makes me think it's a rear drum and/or handbrake cable issue.

Does anyone here know much about cars? Any ideas?  :???: 

Edited by Nerve

I have no idea how to put this in English but I'll try. Those rear drums are connected to the rest of the car with rods. Those all turn when you are driving. So this shouldn't happen when you are standing still. You hear the sound when you release the break making it sound like it's either the rear drum or the connection between the rear drum and the rod that causes the problem.  If it already happens when you drive really slow, get a mate and have him follow you (walking) when you drive slowly. He can then locate if it's the left or right side. Climb under there and check if the rod is properly connecting (not making a sound when touching it or hanging). When in doubt, check the other side that's not making problems to see how it should look.

You now have isolated the problem and know what to do. Visit your old garage, demand your money back, insult their mothers and find a proper garage to fix the problem (that is, if the above assumptions lead to you actually finding it).

Right, I've had an issue for a while.

It squeaks from the rear..

Oooooooooooookey dokey then.

tumblr_myyv7dxgIF1stmjkwo1_250.gif

I have a 2008 focus, and it squeaks as well, It's been doing it for years and I've never been able to figure out what it is. Looking online it's apparently pretty common and opinions are varying to what is the cause :s. I took it to a mechanic and he said the car was fine, in great shape.

I'm not really worried about it, though it's definitely not driving me mad either :P

I have no idea how to put this in English but I'll try. Those rear drums are connected to the rest of the car with rods. Those all turn when you are driving. So this shouldn't happen when you are standing still. You hear the sound when you release the break making it sound like it's either the rear drum or the connection between the rear drum and the rod that causes the problem.  If it already happens when you drive really slow, get a mate and have him follow you (walking) when you drive slowly. He can then locate if it's the left or right side. Climb under there and check if the rod is properly connecting (not making a sound when touching it or hanging). When in doubt, check the other side that's not making problems to see how it should look.

You now have isolated the problem and know what to do. Visit your old garage, demand your money back, insult their mothers and find a proper garage to fix the problem (that is, if the above assumptions lead to you actually finding it).

Thanks for the explanation! It was doing it when stood still, but that was only the handbrake, which seems to have stopped completely since my last visit when they 'adjusted' the cable. I had my dad inspect the rear ( :-D) and the sound is coming from around the drivers side rear tyre when I release the brake, so I guess that's where the problem is! Even though I'd told them that's where I thought it was. I need to find a better garage, official dealer garages sux.

Edited by Nerve

"Squeaks" as you described them will most probably come from loose/unadjusted e-break cable, worn out/twisted brake pads/drums and less likely from control arm bushings and tie rods (squeak will be accompanied with a slight "click" sound).

Keep them in mind for your next check up and just like with doctors, it's always a good idea to let more than one mechanic/garage have a look at your car before deciding to let go of your hard earned cash :) (especially when your mechanic seem shaky and undecided when giving you the diagnostic :v )

Good luck and hope it is solved for good

Edited by will2k