Corwin

Corwin's house renovation adventure

It definitely is a house for little people like the rest of us Will, yeah :) Sucks that it removes part of our potential buyers :P

Edited by Corwin

Congrats dude, that's super courageous to you and your family ! On top of the work, I would totally freak out for the hidden vices when buying a house like that !...  You better indeed do your best to bring the electrical circuits up to date if some of your walls are isolated with straw and subject to water infiltrations, also to quickly install a differential circuit breaker in case you don't have one if the circuit is old (but i'm pretty sure you know that already :P). Although You would just need to get yourself some solar panels, a small wind turbine and you are all set the german way :D

Damn, that's neat! Will be nice to see the progress

Kind of like a dream of mine too, buying cheap and remodeling to coolness. (if only I had the dough...T_T)

Sorry guys, been rather busy with the baby this last month, barely had any time to work on the house. I did make the decision to remove most of the wood panels on the walls, to gain some space/light and because they're a bit crap. To enlarge the entrance to the kitchen (was too low now that I flattened the room) I removed those first and cleared the side of the staircase too, which is way better than it was. I sometimes feel all I have to do is bring back the house to its original state, removing all the layers of crap that each owner seems to have added over the years :P

Entrance03.jpg

Also I started doing the floor tiles in the kitchen but I had messed up the floor screed a bit and I started at the high point but soon realized it was going to be higher than the intended level of the living room, so I'm not breaking the tiles I just put in to redo it all properly. Oh well, I'll learn to not skip steps next time, it happened because I didn't bother adding wood boards as guides when I was doing the floor so there was one spot that was higher than the rest.

I also should hear back from the carpenter to know his final price for redoing the roof, and I got some new electrical switches installed so the electrical system can handle multiple demanding appliances running together without breaking.

My family is visiting next week, hopefully while my older kid is busy playing with them I can focus on doing some work on the kitchen to finish the damn thing. Got my brand new dishwasher and fridge waiting to be installed and I'm still forced to wash the dishes in the bathroom sink...