Insurgency Mapping Contest

Steppenwolf

Hi All, 

As Shawn correctly says this could be a fantastic opportunity for a freelance artist to get their content in a published title, or additional resume content for an existing industry employee. It really is an awesome opportunity to have your content looked at in detail by a developer.

We realize 8 weeks is quite short (and I will talk to NWI about potentially extending it), however the winning submissions will have plenty of time after the deadline to work with the games developers to perfect their map and really bring it up to game-ready level.

What we are really looking for is the creative vision, to bring something new to insurgency, so even if you just get an alpha or beta version out, all the minor gameplay tweaks and optimisation can be done later on.

Any other questions feel free to ask :)

Or who knows maybe someone will even land a proper job.

I cannot stress this enough. There are plenty of talented folks sort of inside/outside the industry posting on these forums. You may be waiting for an opportunity, you may have assumed it won't happen. I know a few of you I have in mind as I say this, who are perfectly capable mappers. If you know the Source engine, you must see this as an opportunity worth seizing.

and I'm talking about beyond $1,000 and all of the additional prizes. I'm talking about a gig, a resume piece, the knowledge that you won a contest. Many of you should start work right away. *uncle sam pointing at you*

Insurgency is a great team. Kikette and the rest of the team created some EXCELLENT assets, and maps to learn from. Carpe Diem. 

Vote FMPONE mayor of mapcore 2014 :v

Those are some really nice prizes for the winner!

As someone who worked on this project as a designer through the early stages, I have one piece of advice to anyone entering: go wild with the theme of your entry!

As a small team we were relatively limited in the range of environments that could be created, but as a lone designer (or a small team focusing on one map), you have no such restrictions aside from the time limit! 

If you want new stuff; are new game-modes actually something you want people to look into, or just new themes/maps? If gameplay is a yes: is Vscript or LUA  etc. supported?

I'll check with the devs and get back to you, however I think they want people to focus on the base game modes for now. 

Personally though, I think custom game modes would be awesome :)

Those are some really nice prizes for the winner!

As someone who worked on this project as a designer through the early stages, I have one piece of advice to anyone entering: go wild with the theme of your entry!

As a small team we were relatively limited in the range of environments that could be created, but as a lone designer (or a small team focusing on one map), you have no such restrictions aside from the time limit! 

Spencer's roses :D

I would love to make a map, but don't think I have the time tbh. These competitions always come at the least opportune times.

8 weeks is a bit slim in my opinion to make a really good map for a game such as Ins.

I haven't a clue how the game even plays. Are close quarter maps a thing? I don't see how anyone could produce proper value in that timespan if we're concerning mapsized similar to csgo  :???:

I would love to and I miss the time I was working with you guys :)  But 8 weeks is just a big NO ^^

Damn it the chivalry contest is ending and this sounds awesome. I just wanted a couple days of not working in an editor D:

Hi guys, 

I'd just like to let you all know that we have listened to the communities response, and i've persuaded the devs to extend the contest.

Entrants now have until October the 1st to submit an entry! We are also going to speed up the production of some of the guides and are hoping to have an in depth tutorial on the gameplay mechanics, game modes and design theory of insurgency maps up in the next few days.

I will aslo try to set up a Q&A session with the devs to help anyone who has questions to ask. 

Hopefully this should give people the time and information they need to produce some truly awesome maps!

Damn it the chivalry contest is ending and this sounds awesome. I just wanted a couple days of not working in an editor D:

Hi guys, 

I'd just like to let you all know that we have listened to the communities response, and i've persuaded the devs to extend the contest.

Entrants now have until October the 1st to submit an entry! We are also going to speed up the production of some of the guides and are hoping to have an in depth tutorial on the gameplay mechanics, game modes and design theory of insurgency maps up in the next few days.

I will aslo try to set up a Q&A session with the devs to help anyone who has questions to ask. 

Hopefully this should give people the time and information they need to produce some truly awesome maps!

That's great news. 

Don't know if this cross promotion is allowed here but i just want to give a heads up to fellow source level designers that we have started a mapping contest for Insurgency. Ther's some cool prices and cash to win.

Head over to gamebanana for more infos:

http://gamebanana.com/contests/48

:)

Yes but no, I like this game but I can't map on a game I don't know how to play. But thanks for your post ! Wait & see awesome maps for this awesome game.