Bloodborne

Sprony

I've never played any Souls game but I finally bought this. I've played about 4 hours yesterday and made absolutely zero progress. I did die about 50 times though without unlocking anything. Just a constant grind against respawning enemies with no clue where to go, how to upgrade or beat things. Also, no saving. I'm getting the feeling that this first area is specifically designed to scare away new people. To test your endurance. This is the only effect it has on me:

karelin2.jpg

I've never played any Souls game but I finally bought this. I've played about 4 hours yesterday and made absolutely zero progress. I did die about 50 times though without unlocking anything. Just a constant grind against respawning enemies with no clue where to go, how to upgrade or beat things. Also, no saving. I'm getting the feeling that this first area is specifically designed to scare away new people. To test your endurance. This is the only effect it has on me:

karelin2.jpg

Haha! Yeah I bought this game for my bro for his bday, and he hated it at first. He found it so frustrating! But something clicked and he's incredible at the game now. He's beaten the last boss before I have!

Keep at it dude. I found it frustrating at first as well, and I played Dark Souls 1/2 to death!

Yeah, the game starts a lot harder than it conceivably should and, once you get past the campfire the area, it's also a lot more sprawling and less obvious about its shortcuts. If you really are stuck then I could probably stick something on youtube in like 4 minutes that’ll show you the easiest route to open the shortcut (oh, share button, how much I never knew I needed you).

If you have Madman’s Insight and some Coldblood it might also be worth using them and returning to the Hunter’s Dream, as gaining 1 insight is the prerequisite to being able to level up.

Yeah, the game starts a lot harder than it conceivably should and, once you get past the campfire the area, it's also a lot more sprawling and less obvious about its shortcuts. If you really are stuck then I could probably stick something on youtube in like 4 minutes that’ll show you the easiest route to open the shortcut (oh, share button, how much I never knew I needed you).

If you have Madman’s Insight and some Coldblood it might also be worth using them and returning to the Hunter’s Dream, as gaining 1 insight is the prerequisite to being able to level up.

Appreciate it man. But I haven't reached some areas yet (I ended up in the sewers) and I've read that you need the find the first boss before you can upgrade. So I'm trying that. I also think there is a shortcut somewhere where the big guy is banging on the door but I haven't found it yet. I'm sure the door to left of the save point (above the ladder, were you find Gilbert) can be opened somehow and that it will seriously bypass stuff. Once I figured that out and once I've found the boss, I can use that to grind, level up and kick ass.

Assumptions though, but still.....

Yeah, meeting a boss will also give you insight and unlock level ups!

Given I can one-shot everything I'm not sure how helpful this will be! But here's the route to unlock that shortcut.

Edit: They recently released a patch that really cuts down the load times. It's super effective.

Edited by Taylor

Yeah, meeting a boss will also give you insight and unlock level ups!

Given I can one-shot everything I'm not sure how helpful this will be! But here's the route to unlock that shortcut.

Edit: They recently released a patch that really cuts down the load times. It's super effective.

Minor spoilers ahead!

Ah, I didn't realize you need insight to unlock leveling up. I'm seriously loving the game and I can appreciate the challenge. That being said they could have made a couple of things more clear. I don't need a guiding hand but you have to give some explanation as to how your game works imo.

Last night I had an excellent run. I was determined to kick ass and I actually did that. I cleared the entire group at the campfire, found the shortcut thanks to your video, which led me to the bridge. There I faced the werewolves from a different direction. I made a run for it back to the house and guess what, they can't fit through the door! Easy kills :)

The first boss annihilated me though so I cleared the campfire again and continued to the sewers. Cleared all of that (found a second entrance to it) but died because of the huge pig. In the Hunter's dream I saw that the doll is now alive and that the house is open and that it has a storage and a workbench. The doll allows upgrades. I also noticed you keep everything you find and you only lose your blood vials when you die. I returned to grind those, upgraded my gun and cleaver and I'm now pumping up my stats before returning to the pig. Any suggestions? I've increased Vitality and Strength.

Combat is easier now too because I've learned a couple of things yesterday. The pistol is used to stagger, time it right and you can seriously damage your opponent. Sneak can allow for instant kills (quite brutal). Side step or roll is awesome. Also, if you lock your opponent you will always hit them when you throw stuff. Oh how many Molotov's I've wasted before I figured that out. 

This game is a gem, really. You just need to put in a lot of effort. 

Yeah, these games really like to throw you to the wolves at the start (and literally in Bloodborne's case), but eventually it all clicks into place. Leveling helps in the long run, but the main thing is you getting better at the game and learning the areas, which I guess is what it's trying to emphasise with the rough start where you can't upgrade. I'm not going to say it's smooth sailing from here on out, but it sounds like you're past the opening campfire hump and are now Bloodborning With Attitude.

You lose your Blood Echoes when you die but I assume that's what you meant as everything has blood in its name... You have one chance to retrieve your Blood Echoes from where you died, but if you die again they will be lost forever. While exploring new areas you'll often find a lot of Frenzied Coldblood style items, which are consumables that just give you a lot of Blood Echoes that you can latter pop in town for some reward for exploring despite your inevitable death.

Vitality, Endurance, Strength and Skill are probably your main stats IMO. Skill kind of does the same thing as Strength, but eventually your stats have diminishing returns so it's good to focus on both of them (I did not know this until much too late). Skill and Strength are also going to be the common item requirements for weapons. Bloodtinge is weird as it's for ranged weapons that all have terrible base damage and limited ammunition, but then there's some late-game special weapons that really benefit from it and you might want to try a new gun every now and then. Similarly Arcane won't do anything for you at this stage but is required on all spells.

Also:

I'm doing NG+ now with some wiki help because I've earned it. I completely missed Eileen first time, did not know she even existed until now!

I don't think there is a way to be forgiven in BB, but also the NPCs aren't such a huge deal.

Edited by Taylor

I'm doing NG+ now with some wiki help because I've earned it. I completely missed Eileen first time, did not know she even existed until now!

I don't think there is a way to be forgiven in BB, but also the NPCs aren't such a huge deal.

Had a bit of trouble with the Cleric beast so I tried ringing a bell. Someone popped up, we beat it together and he left. Does this effect my game at all?

Also, can I redo the boss alone without starting over?

There are no negatives for summoning help, but yeah it is dead permanently in your world, so to fight it again solo you'll need to start over or reach new game+ AFAIK. Some bosses show up again in Chalice dungeons, but the Cleric Beast is not one of them. One of the later bosses is kind of Cleric Beast two, though.

There are no negatives for summoning help, but yeah it is dead permanently in your world, so to fight it again solo you'll need to start over or reach new game+ AFAIK. Some bosses show up again in Chalice dungeons, but the Cleric Beast is not one of them. One of the later bosses is kind of Cleric Beast two, though.

Thanks again Taylor. I didn't really understand what would happen. I figured an NPC like the Father might come. Wanted to beat it on my own too but I'm not going to restart again. Anyway, I get what Pogo and you were saying. Yesterday I did the entire first area in less then an hour killing everything like a boss and without dying once. A very rewarding game and once you start to grasp how to unlock shortcuts it becomes much and much easier. Loving it!