Sign in to follow this  
Lee3dee

DM - Untitled Space level

if you use photoshop 6 or 7.0 you need a targa update patch i thought, 7.01 or so already had it

if really nothing works for you, try to save it as 32 bit tga, see if that works and then later on compress it in ued to dxtc5

with lights below the rock i mean lamps too :P

small radius, high brightness lights so there is an area of darkness between 2 lamps

vertexlighting really isnt working well in your map :/

too many flat shaded textures prolly, you could always try to render lightmaps in max and use those for the map but that is going to be a lot harder

MagicTMP: Thats 1 of 4 pieces of the map ;) its going to be alot biggger :D

Hourences: Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it :D I'm using psd 7.01. I was going from a psd file to dds, but i guess I should make it a TGA first. I'll try that today. Lights are work-in-progress ;), I know what you meant :D. Yeah, my vertex lighting is blah, but i was thinking when i start adding other areas, like Pete's garage with lights there, its all going to have to be tweaked again. lol

I have a rough sketch of the map, but thats the general idea. Is having 4 different places to fight, and maybe 1 central location in the middle. with various ways to get to either location. A couple of floating asteriods around the level that players could tele too for bonus power-ups. Maybe the ability to fly a ship from one area to another.

It's my first map i've ever done. lol, a little ambitious :D

small update, been working on the platforms surrounding the asteroid. After building it, noticed that the platforms were a little big, but are able to fit 2 characters.

rachel_11.jpg

The ships were created by Epic for Assault, eventually I will add my own to fit the style. They are just to show where the placement will be. Also, I need to add some lights around the rocket. Another update tomorow :D

That looks really really awkward and detracts from the asteroid section hugely in my opinion :( Not only does it looks quite bad but I also think it looks dull from a gameplay point of view - having a square path around the place is really pretty boring and uncreative, which is obviously a word that shouldn't apply to you. Sorry to sound so negative.

actually, i was playtesting it some more with a friend before I went to bed, and we agreed that the platforms were boring and didn't fit the style I had created. So, i'll be making different ones tonight. Your comments are dead on :D

the theme is really great, almost something out from a disney movie (or better), but too me, this map is a little dark :o

Skjalg: thanks :). lighting is still WIP ;). But also remeber that there are other locations next to it, so the lighting will get brighter. :)

Sven_E: I loved Hitchhikers guide :D. Not sure on the new movie, hope they don't screw up the classic :(

Great improvement, though you will need to be careful to avoid the map becoming a linear path of walkways to ensure it plays nicely. I see a bit of dodgy texture stretching on the rockwork in the second picture, but otherwise its looking nice, good job :)