Jump to content
FMPONE

What I'm Working On, 2014-Forever

Recommended Posts

On 3/1/2018 at 1:20 PM, MadsenFK said:

If you're gonna make more Wingman maps, then I would love to see something like this again since I thought it was a shame that you abandoned this project. Really eye-catching stuff I must say.

Yeah that map was kinda neat. The gameplay for that map would have been awful for 5v5, for 2v2 it might work well however.

I would probably have to dig it up off of an old hard-drive, hopefully I still have the file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2018 at 6:17 PM, FMPONE said:

As part of a 3 day ramp-up to releasing Subzero, today Wingman Killhouse was released.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1317130948

Pretty interesting map!

I personally enjoy the Wingman mode and it's obviously a pretty popular mode in general.

It's also a lot easier for community creators to create 2v2 maps (smaller, much easier to test...)

So I'm wondering if Valve will add Wingman community maps to future "operations"...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey! I made an imgur collection of weird bugs and visual problems. I hope these help.

https://imgur.com/a/EH0tj

On another note:

I would really reconsider the northern lights, sun placement and the skybox, which for anyone living around the artic circle seem very unrealistic. Hit me up if you'd like more info on why the northern lights make no sense. (Or, you know, don't use pictures as examples of northern lights because eye and camera show them very differently; Cameras show more of the lights and in more bright colors, which is complete opposite on how they really look.)

The sun is way too high up, too. Normally it would be impossible to spot northern lights right behind a sun (heck, even a half moon stops them) The map is clearly set in winter, (seen by the vegetation being on a wintery "preserve" state) which should make it impossible for the sun to raise this high even in the day, especially on artic circle.

Added into that, it should be impossible to spot any stars (especially the weaker ones) at such beutiful, sunny day. If you've ever noticed, stars are hard to spot on the day compared to at the night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It plays well and I like the idea but, and don't take it bad, you really should work on the lighting and on your textures. 

I don't meet the quality you had with your previous levels like Season for example. 

I take it like a good start that needs to be improved now to meet the quality we have in CS : GO.

And @Tynnyri is right about the aurora borealis, you'll have to make a choice.

EDIT : I know you learned a lot to make all your custom contents and I know how hard it is.

Edited by El Moroes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, El Moroes said:


I take it like a good start that needs to be improved now to meet the quality we have in CS : GO.

I really do not understand this statement. Were the textures really that bad? I ran the game on all high and it looked stronger than expected. Then again, I didn't run around only looking at the walls. Any screenshots or examples?

 

He did use the same exact tree model twice immediatly next to each other (albeit rotated a bit) near the bunker, however... And there were some Nuke crate models that didn't look nice near the rusty, snowy areas surrounding them. Although I am sure FMPONE knows about these himself.

Edited by Tynnyri

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Radix said:

It's also a lot easier for community creators to create 2v2 maps (smaller, much easier to test...)

Well, if you have a server you can access... I was wondering if we would test on mapcore test server. 

I really hope valve will push the mode. 1v1 is still a competitive for Quake, I would be interested in seeing if this can work as well as proper pro competitive.

49 minutes ago, El Moroes said:

It plays well and I like the idea but, and don't take it bad, you really should work on the lighting and on your textures. 

I don't meet the quality you had with your previous levels like Season for example. 

 

25 minutes ago, Tynnyri said:

I really do not understand this statement. Were the textures really that bad? I ran the game on all high and it looked stronger than expected. Then again, I didn't run around only looking at the walls. Any screenshots or examples?

Well creating all the assets for yourself for the first time is hard work... I think it's impressive what Shawn achieved here.

I can see what El Moros is saying. I only walked around the map today and it feels a bit noisy. Reminds me of the late CS 1.6 maps. I hope I'll manage playing it to see if it actually hampers the gameplay.

Still a great achievement.

I don't understand why is not possible to plant just behind the truck in that little nook. Seems like an interesting plant position, compared to the doorstep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple more problems with the map:

-Guns can fall down the sides of middle. This is super annoying, especially if this starts to get used as strategy for AWP players: Stick to the railings, and they cannot steal your AWP if you go down: It drops down.

-The bombsites are not telegraphed on the spot and make it hard to make out how far you can plant. Not a problem if you'll leave the bombsites are large as they currently are, although I am sure it creates confusion around the A site. 

-There is no way to know you can jump on top of the barrel containers on the edge of A site. Such a weird, useless off-angle for the defenders.

-Jumping on the boxes on the opposite side of the A bombsite, you can see glimpses of the skybox meeting with the ground and it looks trippy.

-Pit has Nuke crates that are way too clean to their surroundings.

-The water on CT spawn looks awful (especially on low settings)

-The waterfall at bunker looks awful. I have no idea why, either. Maybe it's just the source engine.

-Term "mid" used in official, big signs instead of "middle". Also what's with the random /s and \s?

-The "flickering" light effect on the wall at T spawn ends middle of the wall, which looks bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, all in all pretty impressive how much effort you have put into this project.

I mean, even if this gets added to an Operation, the payment seams a bit too low for two years of working full time (?) on this. Maybe you should talk to Valve :D (You probably really should. lol)

Gameplay seems to be good, even though I don't really like one-way (drop down) routes.

 

But, as already said by some of the others, visually atm not your strongest submission.

Biggest issue is probably the sky color. You chose a very warm, bright, nearly turquoise blue. It doesn't fit the setting imo and makes the snow look grey.

I would like one of the following better:

- a cold steel blue (no stars, few clouds, probably better no snowfall)

- a nightsky (slightly green if you want to keep a (more subtle!) aurora borealis)

- a grey cloudy sky (+snowfall)

 

That lighting + aurora issue is probably the best example why it feels a little "wrong" atm:

You have aurora borealis vs day time. Sun vs stars. A nearly clear sky with only a few little clouds (which move too fast imo) but you also have snowfall (which is falling in the opposite direction the clouds move (wind) btw).

That's all too much imo. You can't have it all at once. Make a decision.

You should not make things that don't make any sense just because you think it looks awesome. It's similar to the rainbow in de_santorini which also didn't make sense imo: clear sky, no rain, sun at high noon -> no rainbow!

Furthermore some areas of the map are probably a little overdone already. Sometimes it's better to let a wall just be a wall.

Maybe you just want too much in general while searching for the holy grail of CS level design...

Don't get me wrong. Still an awesome map. But it's not finished yet. Hope this helps a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2018 at 7:33 PM, Tynnyri said:

Hey! I made an imgur collection of weird bugs and visual problems. I hope these help.

https://imgur.com/a/EH0tj

On another note:

I would really reconsider the northern lights, sun placement and the skybox, which for anyone living around the artic circle seem very unrealistic. Hit me up if you'd like more info on why the northern lights make no sense. (Or, you know, don't use pictures as examples of northern lights because eye and camera show them very differently; Cameras show more of the lights and in more bright colors, which is complete opposite on how they really look.)

The sun is way too high up, too. Normally it would be impossible to spot northern lights right behind a sun (heck, even a half moon stops them) The map is clearly set in winter, (seen by the vegetation being on a wintery "preserve" state) which should make it impossible for the sun to raise this high even in the day, especially on artic circle.

Added into that, it should be impossible to spot any stars (especially the weaker ones) at such beutiful, sunny day. If you've ever noticed, stars are hard to spot on the day compared to at the night.

I think you can get away with the stars, at least. They are very useful for lining up smokes, and sacrificing realism for gameplay wouldn't be a problem on this occasion.

Apart from that I think the weakest area in the map in terms of Art is the T connector to B. It looks like something from Borderlands, because of the black trim textures, you use and some of the wear on the props, combined. It just doesn't look like Counter Strike to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

10 minutes ago, NikiOo said:

and sacrificing realism for gameplay wouldn't be a problem on this occasion.

 

11 minutes ago, NikiOo said:

It looks like something from Borderlands

You can't have it both ways.

He could get away with stars if it would be night/sunrise/sunset. This looks very hastily made skybox to me, simply because it denies all of the basic rules of how the sky works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...