FMPONE

What I'm Working On, 2014-Forever

17 hours ago, blackdog said:

How is Library grey in Inferno when it feels it is only 3 steps (32 units or so) higher than basic floor level.

I thought that's the color for interior areas?

Great work, FMPONE! It's also nice to read about your thoughts behind the layout changes.

Edited by Squad

3 hours ago, Squad said:

I thought that's the color for interior areas?

As reported here, no.

16 hours ago, FMPONE said:

I think that's probably just a consequence of it being a somewhat new idea, and consistency while nice doesn't have to be that rigid.

I wonder if it is based on actual "Hammer elevation", using the vertical midplane as a reference point.
Anyway,despite not fully convinced, I haven't had any problems playing since the update so at least is not detrimental.

So, the last layout change to DE_SUBZERO: a boost and trick jump into Hut Glass. Hoping to ship it ASAP.

1n.thumb.jpg.7060358bda1413054afeae2160d2b64e.jpg

Previously, attacks on B could become stagnant and repetitive, because Terrorists only had one very long route into the B site. This detracted from the map in a few ways:

Problem 1) Sub-Zero's Hut too closely mirrored Cache's B "Sunroom" (at least on radar), as another non-movement, utility area.

Problem 2) Terrorists were forced to use smoke grenades on the long angle into the site -- no matter their economy -- because of CT advantage at long-ranges (USP, Awp, etc). If Terrorists threw that smoke, CTs had a clearly telegraphed signal about likely hits to the B site.

Problem 3) Hut Glass, a unique feature of the map, was underutilized. Instead, most of the action centered around the long angle before Terrorists enter Hut.

Problem 4) Hut Door was underitilzed, because Hut Window was much closer to the action.

Problem 5) Players would often bounce nades back at themselves while trying to throw grenades through Hut Glass.

Now, Terrorist attack options have been further opened up, making their tactics very difficult for CTs to predict:

Benefit 1) The Terrorist "line of scrimmage" connects to every part of the CT "line of scrimmage", meaning that the entire length of Sub-Zero offers interesting, interconnected, useable space.

Benefit 2) Terrorists can now attack B at any stage of a round: by breaking Hut Glass early in a round to deny CTs a sound queu later on, by boosting through Glass right away, by sending a lurker to trick-jump into Glass in order to confuse the defense; or by focusing on the traditional long angle or mid rushes with far less pressure.

The bottom line: CTs can no longer assume that Hut is safe territory, they must account for Hut Glass aggression.

Benefit 3) Hut will see much more action. Combined with the changes over at the A site, this means Terrorists have 6! different movement options across the map. These movement options contain a great deal of variety: boosting through Hut Glass, battling for control of B main, peeking mid from above or below, dropping down vents into connector or into the A site, pushing A main past the pillars at Radio, or dropping down A pit.

(To compensate, Sub-Zero also encourages unprecendented CT aggression, thanks to favorable CT timings on B, boosts at A vent and pit, a lot of cover at A long Radio, and a fair gunfight at Mid.)

Benefit 4) Hut Door will see increased action. Now far easier to reach, Terrorists are encouraged to use Door for info gathering, crossing into site, or simply to dance around in Hut.

Benefit 5) Throwing grenades into Hut is now simple and meaningfully strategic.

Conclusion

With this change, and the changes at A, I'm now satisfied that Sub-Zero is a true "original." Beyond its unique theme and custom assets, beyond the signature Arctic Avenger player models, Sub-Zero features a number of brand new angles and gameplay quirks. From its interesting bombsites, verticality and elevation changes, consequential boosts, 2 one-way committal spots, and multiple trick jumps... there's quite a lot of "new" and "weird" packed into an easy to learn, competitive Counter-Strike package. And, unlike most Counter-Strike maps, mid-control is now an entirely _optional_ part of Terrorist strategy.

(It's done.)

de_subzero_radar_spectate.jpg.939a8d1bd3ec0bda183f8208a523929e.jpg

And, unlike most Counter-Strike maps, mid-control is now an entirely _optional_ part of Terrorist strategy.

Interesting point. Of the maps that have a true mid in the rotation, (dust, inferno, mirage, cache) all require some kind of mid presence from the T's to take the site on a consistent basis.

With that in mind, giving the T side that luxury will require aggressive map control takes from the CT side. If the T's continually give mid to CT, that opens the door to quick rotations. Giving the T side options on the site take also inherently gives the CT's those options on the retake.  

The map has come a far way from the grey box that I once downloaded the day of release, and I look forward to playing some more games on Faceit and hopefully in the next operation.

Managed to play a few matches on subzero. It's a pretty crazy map. I like it. :)

Some little findings:

- small gap here:

u5msIag.jpg

- another one:

jJJfgO6.jpg

- got stuck here once. Maybe tweak clipping there?

J0nHBsr.jpg

Edited by Radix

1 hour ago, Radix said:

Managed to play a few matches on subzero. It's a pretty crazy map. I like it. :)

Some little findings:

- small gap here:

u5msIag.jpg

- another one:

jJJfgO6.jpg

- got stuck here once. Maybe tweak clipping there?

J0nHBsr.jpg

Thanks for pointing these out! Bouncing smoothly off this wall isn’t ideal IMO because sometimes when you peek an angle you want to tuck into it rather than glide off smoothly. Not ideal for every situation but I think it’s better to tuck here than to slide off unintentionally into mid

8 hours ago, FMPONE said:

Thanks for pointing these out! Bouncing smoothly off this wall isn’t ideal IMO because sometimes when you peek an angle you want to tuck into it rather than glide off smoothly. Not ideal for every situation but I think it’s better to tuck here than to slide off unintentionally into mid

Yeah, that's probably right. You can only get stuck there when moving out (to the left while looking to T side, with your back to the railing), but not when moving back (right). So this won't kill you. Better leave it like it is now.