Sprony

FIFA World Cup 2014

I don't care about football, but at work we had a sweepstake: 1£ for picking a team, if your team wins you get the pot.

I got Brazil :B

But I was hoping for Argentina.

Hope Italy gets kicked out first round!

Edited by blackdog

They've had World Cup/football-themed music playing at work for the past two hours and I am increasingly wanting to kill myself.

I've had this sound on loop for the past week to get in the mood~ 

God damn those fucking things still piss me off even now. I watched that WC with the remote glued into my hand so I could hit mute as soon as those things started up.

I watched the WC at South-Africa almost completely with the sound muted and turned to radio for commentary :P

Looking forward to Spain - Netherlands tonight by the way!

Fuck, I love football but it's so annoying to see those guys dive when they are barely touched, so sad for Croatia, they deserved the draw and if they had a better goalkeeper they could even manage to not conceding a goal. 

Yeah I really don't get it. It takes literally 5 seconds to get a replay and there are huge screens everywhere for the referee to see it on. Would stop all those players who fake a dive and start crying because someone tapped them on the back with their pinky.

At least we have goal line technology which is a start I guess!

xtw3PGf.gif

Yeah it kind of sucks but imagine a japanese referee in the opening game in Brazil, that's a lot of pressure. He made the call to give the penalty because he didn't want to be the guy blamed for contributing to Brazil losing or drawing on their first game. One way to potentially fix this would be to have a vote with assistant referees when a dubious penalty is whistled.

Anyways, divers only dive because stupid referees always fall for that shit.

Yeah I know, but a referee should be unbiased no matter when or where the game is played and instant replays for a referee would remove any doubt in these situations and would eliminate most of the dives in the game. I just don't see why they don't implement it when pretty much every other sport has them! 

There's so much technology out there, which wouldn't undermine the game, that could make matches fair. For years there has been an outcry for these changes but FIFA won't give in. Seeing all the controversies about bribing and the scandals linked to Blatter I can only conclude that these innovations are withheld on purpose. I wouldn't go as far as saying that it's premeditated but it does leave a lot of room to influence games. Seeing as how much money is made betting on them and the long rumored affiliations with said betting it does make you wonder. 

Having said that, where only a couple of matches in and there's already a long list with referee mistakes. Especially the Cameroon match. Jeez, how many goals can you withheld.