FIFA World Cup 2014

Sprony

My Euro 2012 proved that there are a lot of Football fans here so I figured I would do the same for the World Cup. I'm pretty certain that The Netherlands will be raped and not survive the group. So I think I'll go with Brazil unless another country impresses me. I never watch Football anymore but I always try to see every Euro and World Cup match. What about you guys? Any predictions?

KuRsO3Y.gifKuRsO3Y.gifKuRsO3Y.gifKuRsO3Y.gif

This is gonna be an interesting one. We obviously have the biggest pressure to win, but at the same time this is the first time in my life I can't give a shit about the national team roster.

I hope that changes during the tourney and they win my sympathy back :)

If I would put my money on any team participating, it would be Germany.

They're just a really solid team, still very young, but carrying a lot of experience with them.

Brazil is obviously very talented too, but they're maybe lacking a bit in defense to really push it all the way.

Then again, it's football so anything can happen.

Also ;)

Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win.

This is an interesting read. It's a long ass post with a lotta infromation and pictures regarding Brazil and why it shouldn't be having the WC basically.

http://imgur.com/a/8pAeh

After a lot of thought put into this I came to the conclusion that the brazilian people are just very naive. When the country was chosen to host the WC all people cared was if their city was going to host games, which in their heads would lead to those places becoming 1st world cities in just a matter of years.

Fast forward to today and everyone is butthurt because the WC didn't solve any of the problems it never promised to fix in the first place. Nobody protested against hosting a WC when the election took place, nobody protested when it became clear that most of the funds were being diverted by corrupt politicians, so a few months away from the event (which is going to bring an incredible number of tourists to the country) it makes no fucking sense to protest about stadiums that are already built. The money is gone, forget about it.

The only redeeming act brazilians can do now is to make sure everyone visiting the country has the best time there. Tourists have nothing to do with the state of the country and they should be treated like one would treat a guest in their home. Like it or not the WC is everyone's responsibility now.

I think it's cool that people learned to protest there, but protesting won't fix a single problem. If people want to change their country they first have to change themselves, stop waiting for magical solutions for everything and just fix their problems themselves...

/rant

Well I'm obviously going to root for France even though I doubt that they have the slightest chance  :oops:

But if I had to put my money on someone it would be Brazil. Germany and Spain will probably do something too, they're always so good in international competitions...

But screw all those,

:spot: ALLEZ LES BLEUS!  :spot:

One of my friends just set up a betting pool yesterday and I'm joining in on the fun. In order to have a slight chance at winning I'll need to do some research. Goldman Sachs created a report with analysis and predictions again (http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/outlook/world-cup-and-economics-2014.html). They predict Brazil, Argentina, Germany and Spain to be in the semi finals and Brazil to win the cup. Anybody have an opinion on Argentina? They have been seen as a serious contender for several times and always ended up getting kicked out before the final. Any signs why it should be different this time? (and don't tell me because they've got Messi  :P )

@Squad: I wouldn't bet on Belgium winning the whole thing, but they've got a good team this time. I'm sure they will make it to the knock-out phase and if they play against Germany, it will be everything but an easy match for the Germans.

Rooting for Germany since 1986 :D although I haven't watched football in ages.

But as Sprony said, I try to watch World Cup/Euro Cup just to keep in touch although I have no idea who most of the young players are (I still fondly remember the players of the 80s and 1990s while growing up like Matthäus, Völler, Rummenigge and Klinsmann among others :v )

One of my friends just set up a betting pool yesterday and I'm joining in on the fun. In order to have a slight chance at winning I'll need to do some research. Goldman Sachs created a report with analysis and predictions again (http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/outlook/world-cup-and-economics-2014.html). They predict Brazil, Argentina, Germany and Spain to be in the semi finals and Brazil to win the cup. Anybody have an opinion on Argentina? They have been seen as a serious contender for several times and always ended up getting kicked out before the final. Any signs why it should be different this time? (and don't tell me because they've got Messi  :P )

@Squad: I wouldn't bet on Belgium winning the whole thing, but they've got a good team this time. I'm sure they will make it to the knock-out phase and if they play against Germany, it will be everything but an easy match for the Germans.

We should set up a betting pool here on Mapcore too  :twisted:

From my experience those predictions never turn out to be true. A lot of factors can change the result of a match, football is not a FIFA 14 simulation where the most "skilled" team wins. You can't predict vital factors such as a team's morale, how well they get along, if they have too many egos etc...

Anyways, I drew Uruguay and Netherlands on our betting pool here at work, so I think I have good chances :)