Buying a new rig !

KoKo5oVaR

Hey Guys !

I'm pretty sure there's already a lot of these threads on the core already, but i guess since hardware evolves so quickly i would make a new one :)

I'm looking to buy a new computer to do 3D efficiently at home since i'm stuck on a crappy laptop for 2 years now. Speaking of hardware, i knew a little bit about it until i've stopped when they invented SATA harddrives, USB 2 and all of these super modern multi core processors for multithreading (impressive technology).

So uh, what would you advise me in term of GFX card of nowadays that is not a luxury jewel to show off, but something that isn't made to run dungeon keeper only. Well, something between the jaguar and the trabant, a toyota maybe?

Also what kind of cooling system would you advise me ? Fans only or more than that ? I always had trouble with heat and gfx cards.

Thanks guys sorry for being obsolete

Hey Guys !

I'm pretty sure there's already a lot of these threads on the core already, but i guess since hardware evolves so quickly i would make a new one :)

I'm looking to buy a new computer to do 3D efficiently at home since i'm stuck on a crappy laptop for 2 years now. Speaking of hardware, i knew a little bit about it until i've stopped when they invented SATA harddrives, USB 2 and all of these super modern multi core processors for multithreading (impressive technology).

So uh, what would you advise me in term of GFX card of nowadays that is not a luxury jewel to show off, but something that isn't made to run dungeon keeper only. Well, something between the jaguar and the trabant, a toyota maybe?

Also what kind of cooling system would you advise me ? Fans only or more than that ? I always had trouble with heat and gfx cards.

I recently build a new system, on a modest budget, and it's performing really well. Everybody has his own preferences so keep that in mind. I'm an Intel/Nividia/Asus guy.

CPU: Intel i5-4570

MEM: Minimal of 8 GB (I prefer Kingston)

SSD bootdisk (size depends on your budget)

Asus Z87K Motherboard

Asus 560 GTI Nivdia GPU (still running on my old one)

Spent about 400 on these parts. Make sure you have a power supply that can handle this. So far I can do a lot of things at the same time, stream full hd to my TV and play games on high/max settings. Gaming (depends on how heavy the game is) and streaming simultaneously can cause problems though. I've run Maya and UDK on this without any problems and I'm using regular 120 mm case fans.

I'm not into mini pc's. I use to have to build them which causes my dislike. Sorry Blackdog.

Any of the new Nvidia cards would be decent enough to do 3D work. I currently have a 660Ti at home running 2, formerly 3 screens. It's about a year or more old, so it shouldn't be super expensive. SSDs are pretty stable nowadays so you should be good if you grab one of those, although they might still be in the expensive end. No idea about RAM, I assume DDR3 or DRR4 or whatever type they're on now. PSU wise get a good brand so it won't fuck with you in the long run. I've had my corsair RAM and PSU for 5+ years without any problem, even with how often I have the computer on 24/7.

Ahhh thanks a lot for all the details guys ! the 660ti looks pretty good and i found it around 230€, that should be legit for the next 5 years i hope. Not so much into putting many moneys for a harddrive, i guess i can wait on loadings for a bit longer. But maybe i'm missing some crucial interactions.

Now i just need to put myself into it ! it's hard to stay up to date and get good stuff for real, cause i don't really trust hardware tests on the net, it feels like being a neophyte plumber looking for something to fix his sink in some marrakech market.

I've always build my PCs as well :) i'm thinking of the small factor because I have a tiny tiny room and frankly, it's not like nowdays we need to think much about "expanding". You swap disk for a larger one and access the old through NAS/docks.

Is really AMD something to consider again? How it's doing now in terms of heat and how does it stack up to Intel's CPUs?

RAM is still DDR3, I was thinking of an 8+8 solution (unless I can go for a single module for the same cost, to buy a second maybe later).

I don't understand why going for an old nVidia when newer models cost the same? :?  A GTX 770 comes up on Amazon for 244£.

Edited by blackdog

I was asking Koko ;)

~

After the joys of high resolution displays on phones (and having seen the Retina on MacBooks) I really want this stuff to come down in price fast

I wouldn't need glasses, as I noticed after using the iPhone.

Edited by blackdog

Well because i didn't knew, but it is defintely not bough yet :D. Money is an issue though. But yes i could buy the most amazing stuff indeed :v

And i wasn't looking well, the 660 ti is around 160€

That should be enough, and if it lags in 3 years. I will desactivate the much needed shaders for the real time reflections in water drops and the one for animated carpet hairs

Hey Guys !

I recently build a new system, on a modest budget, and it's performing really well. Everybody has his own preferences so keep that in mind. I'm an Intel/Nividia/Asus guy.

Asus Z87K Motherboard

Spent about 400 on these parts. Make sure you have a power supply that can handle this. So far I can do a lot of things at the same time, stream full hd to my TV and play games on high/max settings. Gaming (depends on how heavy the game is) and streaming simultaneously can cause problems though. I've run Maya and UDK on this without any problems and I'm using regular 120 mm case fans.

I'm not into mini pc's. I use to have to build them which causes my dislike. Sorry Blackdog.

400 for everything? Wow. I think I should probably build a new rig now. 

So you could do something like run Crysis3 at 1080p with high and still get a nice 60 fps?

Not so much into putting many moneys for a harddrive, i guess i can wait on loadings for a bit longer. But maybe i'm missing some crucial interactions.

I said the same. But when I had some extra cash to burn I decided to buy a 130 GB SSD bootdisk. It makes your system run like Speedy Gonzales. Seriously, I'm never ever going back to SATA. In time, I'll replace all my disk for SSD ones.

Hey Guys !

Asus Z87K Motherboard

400 for everything? Wow. I think I should probably build a new rig now. 

So you could do something like run Crysis3 at 1080p with high and still get a nice 60 fps?

No, I reused my old card and I already had the case, dvd burner, power supply and extra hard disks. So the 400 something was for the motherboard, CPU, memory and SSD boot disk.

I haven't played Crysis 3 (it's Origin only) so I cannot say, However, Metro Last Light, Far cry 3, Wolfenstein, Reaper of Souls, etc all run fine on high with a steady frame rate.