Andrew Bishop - Environment Artist

StormAndy

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some clear and honest feedback on my portfolio before I start sending out job applications for envrionment art positions. I've read through a lot of the recommended articles here on map core and I've tried to make it as focused as possible. I'm a little unsure if I should be posting individual assets on my portfolio or just complete scenes I've produced. I figured it would be best quickly showing entire scenes if it is to be viewed whilst quickly looking over job applications.

My portfolio can be found here http://abishopart.carbonmade.com/

Thank you for your time,

-Andy

Hey Andy !

Looked over your stuff and I do have a few things to mention. I know using carbon made is considered as being standard in some ways, but I just find it very hard to "stand out" while using this site's template. One of the things you want to do as a professional putting himself out there is to establish a "personal brand" so people can easily identify who you are and also remember who you are. To be honest, I find carbonmade a little bland as there is so many people using it (and the same template with the same color).

Another thing considering your project presentation. I'd say... don't make me visit another environment artist's portfolio page (UDK mining). Make it as local as it can be. You really don't want a possible employer to go: "oh alright I'll check this other guy's page for more information on his project. Wow... that other guy is good let's hire him instead". It's a bit extreme but you know... Make your pages about you and what you can do essentially. I would detail this section with exactly what you did and a breakdown part. You can mention you worked with another guy that did the texturing, but ultimately if you label yourself as an environment artist you should do your own texturing (gives you credibility).

Also your site labels you as an environment artist and when I check your about section you're a technical artist with a programming background ? Just make sure that every skill you list you can demonstrate. If you know about "scripting tools to allow other designers and artists to build worlds easier." you should show exactly what you've made and have a section in your portfolio where you talk about this.

Hope that could help ! :)