• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yup. You know all well and good that company decisions about Uplay, no game on Steam UK, etc. are all decisions above us devs (trust me, we don't like it any more than you do). If you don't agree with

Guys, if you disagree with a company's policy, boycott the product. If you want to make a statement, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Otherwise the signal you are sending is "more DRM plx".

Glad we're finally announced ! Dark and I are working on it .

I will definitely not be buying this on release like i did with FC3. Was a little disappointed in FC3, very lacking in gameplay for an open world game.

Some of the missions were quite cool though.

I think you played a different game then I did. I wasn't a fan of Farcry 3 by any means, but it wasn't lacking in gameplay lol.  It was praised/criticized for having to much content. 

Edited by Grinwhrl

I pumped 40 hours into Far cry 3 and enjoyed every second of it. Sure, the story was a bit silly (oh look I'm a sissy and a noob, then goes on a fucking rampage) but boy did it have cool missions and characters. Gameplay was awesome too. Let's go kill a shark with my bare hands or burn down a weed plant with a flamethrower and get high. 

Vaas his sister was also the first game character that was so well made and sensual that I had to go and bother my wife after playing. 

I will definitely not be buying this on release like i did with FC3. Was a little disappointed in FC3, very lacking in gameplay for an open world game.

I think you played a different game then I did. I wasn't a fan of Farcry 3 by any means, but it wasn't lacking in gameplay lol.  It was praised/criticized for having to much content. 

I don't consider hundreds of repetitions of a few activities, content. I should also point out I said GAMEPLAY, content does not equate to gameplay. I could have the same thing a thousand times, I would have plenty of content, that wouldn't make the gameplay good.

Races (in various forms, still all races, they were actually some of the better parts of the game)

Hunting (hunting the same animals dozens of times to get skins to craft things)

Capturing bases (all which were pretty much clones of each other, always a lion in a cage, some metal fences around some huts, was fun the first few times, not the 15)

That is literally all I remember of that game aside from burning down that weed farm and an incredibly unlikable player character (much like Connor in asscreed 3). It was far from a memorable experience. Its the same story with assassins creed, they have become very stale. I'm desperately hoping The division and Watch dogs break that pattern.

Edited by Vilham

I don't consider hundreds of repetitions of a few activities, content. I should also point out I said GAMEPLAY, content does not equate to gameplay. I could have the same thing a thousand times, I would have plenty of content, that wouldn't make the gameplay good.

Races (in various forms, still all races, they were actually some of the better parts of the game)

Hunting (hunting the same animals dozens of times to get skins to craft things)

Capturing bases (all which were pretty much clones of each other, always a lion in a cage, some metal fences around some huts, was fun the first few times, not the 15)

That is literally all I remember of that game aside from burning down that weed farm and an incredibly unlikable player character (much like Connor in asscreed 3). It was far from a memorable experience. Its the same story with assassins creed, they have become very stale. I'm desperately hoping The division and Watch dogs break that pattern.

I.e every other Openworld game lmo. Gameplay content is what I was refering too. Also its the core game that matters, if you didnt enjoy it, there are plenty of other good games out there to play.

Some are better at creating dynamic gameplay than others. Just Cause, RFG are good examples where that has been done.

Indeed. Hence why I won't drop money on this at launch. I am happy to wait till it goes on sale.

Edited by Vilham

Tomato/Tomayto'.. Just Cause is an awful series in my opinion. Red Faction was really fun, but didn't have enough good content and the story was repetitive, and than the company butchered the sequel which was sad. I preferred what I played in FC3 to both of your examples. As you can see my opinion differs, but I still was not a fan of FC3. I enjoyed the open world content, but I couldn't get into the frat boy story of saving your lame ass friends.

I have played Farcry 3 for a bit (~10 hrs). Wasn't a bad game by any means but i would agree with Vilham about repetitiveness. I'm usually a big fan of open world games but there was something missing there to keep my interest up.

Maybe it was the structure with the towers. So i got 3-4 of them and then i know alraedy i will do the same thing over and over before i finish the game. It didn't feel as rewarding/enjoyable as exploring does in a Bethesda or Rockstar game.

If you can improve on that in FC4 then it will be on my radar for sure.

Edited by Steppenwolf

Didn't play Far Cry 3 but if this ends up having a similar style I might skip it and wait for Far Cry 4. A big problem I've had with open-world games is what feels like copy/paste gameplay, like something is designed once then scattered throughout the world. It's a very poor sense if what open world should be, because one of the primary attributes of the genre is a 'go anywhere and discover missions' atmosphere — completely destroyed when it feels like you're just encountering the same shit everywhere.

GTA5 is actually the first game I've played that more or less eradicates this, because almost every mission feels like the environment and gameplay was made specifically for it — and in most cases it was. With the previous GTA games it felt more like they built a sweet world and then just threw objectives, enemies, guns, etc around it.

Anyway, tangent because of what was being said above. I like the sound of FC4 because it's great to see games having more fun with creating memorable villains like you get in film — something we need a LOT more of. :) The best characters that stick in your mind can be villains and so many games seem to miss that by making them too generic, no charm.

I loved the original FarCry, I'm an explorer (speaking in Bartle's types) and am a total sucker for tropical island settings in general. Since I had skipped FarCry 2 the open world aspect was new to me in FarCry 3. Sneaking through the bushes with a crossbow, killing and skinning deer to craft a new weapon holster, exploring and freeing new areas of the island...fucking loved it! The repetitiveness didn't get on my nerves as much as it did with others apparently. So obviously I'm looking forward to FarCry 4. The Himalayan setting is fresh - even though at first I was like "I guess that means barren landscapes and snow?! Doesn't sound like a good base for the typical FarCry cat and mouse gameplay!". I'm expecting to see some video footage at E3...hear me? You better show me something at E3!!!  :P

BTW could you (deceiver) or Dark clarify whether the guy in the pink suit is white or East Asian? Was having a chat about it earlier and I'm pretty sure he's meant to be East Asian/native with dyed hair.

My best guess would be Eastern European or Finnish  :D

P.S. I also lol'ed when I read "Hurk"!

Imo, it was not really the lack of gameplay wich was bad, but the lack of pacing. They haven't worked enough on the side missions imo, I just made all the main missions in a row, and then came back on the side one, but it wasn't fun anymore because the island was completly owned and I had every weapons.

I also really don't understand why you can't explore much the map in FC3, I mean, you have to find a shitload of things, but they are just put in a crate or something dumb like that, why not give less things to find, but wich could benefits to you for the next mission, and why the exploration part doesn't looks like you are explorating, they could have made something way more fun if there would be a true part of exploration, where you could explore a cavern during half an hour and where you can find a really rare object, or even find a back door in an extremely protected area, this way it gives to the game a nice pacing where the fights and the puzzles intersect pretty well.