Izuno

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Quite liking it so far, both the SP and MP. I donno why but I like the prerendered cutscenes, they land in some weird spot slightly beyond (or before?) the uncanny valley for me, and they kinda give me a Command & Conquer vibe in that I wanna see the next one, though it's not that the story seems particularly inspired. But for what it's worth then I also think it's by far the best SP COD since at least Black Ops, and possibly COD4. Some really cool missions here and there, and it seems like they acknowledge that they need to keep the core shooting to a minimum, since that gets old fairly quickly, and primarily focus on doing cool gadget based shit.

Really liking most of the MP maps too. I got totally wiped in my first two games, being at the very bottom of the score board, but then managed to totally turn it around and destroyed the 13 year old german kids I was playing against for the next 5 matches and ended in the 1st and 2nd best every time, good stuff :D

But yeah, definitely has more of a fresh feel than what COD games have had for the last bunch of years, being able to do small strafe dodges and double jumps feels like a good fit (and actually I don't miss the Titanfall wall runs too much).

I played a mission last night where the game wanted me to run across multiple lanes of fast moving traffic to get to the other side. Looking to the right, there was a footbridge pretty close to me. Sensible me thought it would be best to go over to it and use that to cross the road, however when I got there, invisible walls blocked me from getting up the stairs. Seems the game didn't want me to cross safely and instead wanted to force me to play it's crazy futuristic version of Frogger. Typical COD. It is still switch-your-brain-off entertaining though. 

Really, after all these positive reviews it's just feels like the entire gaming press is on the take. Normally I would trust you guys blindly but I don't know man. To me it still looks and feels like MW1. I don't see any real progress these last 7 years. Call me a hater, fine, but I have to say, all this positive talk reminds of this:

its_a_trap_star_wars.gif

Really, after all these positive reviews it's just feels like the entire gaming press is on the take. Normally I would trust you guys blindly but I don't know man. To me it still looks and feels like MW1. I don't see any real progress these last 7 years. Call me a hater, fine, but I have to say, all this positive talk reminds of this:

its_a_trap_star_wars.gif

MW1 was a damn good game though!

its_a_trap_star_wars.gif

Well, if it actually felt like MW1 that would be awesome (plus the new movement)! It was the CoD's after MW1 that turned to shit and this game, while vastly better than those, still feels like it is part of the same lineage.

its_a_trap_star_wars.gif

It's call of duty. Seeing the differences between games is like splitting hairs on a gnats balls

Just to clarify for the Core's hall of records, I consider MW1 fucking awesome and yes, it went downhill from that point on. 

its_a_trap_star_wars.gif

Lesson one. Ignore all reviews and if you aren't sure about a game wait till it drops in price.

I was unsure about the game as well. Haven'y played it yet but I managed to get it for £26.90 rather than the crazy £40 they keep expecting us to shell out.

CDKeys.com is the place to go (I have no affiliation)

EDIT: oh crap, just seen battlefield 4 is for £12.99...

<rant>

I don't like these ever increasing game prices, I could just be spoiled by steam sales and humble bundles but I think it's plainly ridiculous. And that's excluding any shitty pointless DLC they drip feed you... And the way they increase it by £5 or so every year which people just keep paying really grinds my gears.

I have no insider knowledge on this and I'm going out on a limb here with how I would make games, but if you need to charge that much for a game then I think the studios need to rethink how they make their games in the first place.

I could make a phone, but if I charge £2,000 for it, no-one will buy it. I need to focus on what people are willing/happy to pay (the closer to zero the better) and work with that in mind.

</rant>
Edited by jackophant

So my thoughts after 8 hours of multiplayer @ level 36 are it's ok and it was worth the buy and I will continue to play it for sometime yet but it struggles to make this new movement mechanic work because the games fundamental design holds it back. Basically it's: lets give you all this movement never seen before in a CoD game while still keeping it a CoD game which results in a cluster of issues for me. Those being:

The maps are so cluttered that I am constantly getting stuck on things. An example being where I was trying to run away from someone shooting me, so I ran around a corner only to get stuck on a chair resulting in my peruser killing me. It was awful on the Killcam as you could just see me there glitched onto the chair running on thin air. If it wasn't for that I could of gotten away and maybe even killed my gotta get a kill gotta get a kill gotta get a kill peruser!

The other issue I have with the maps because of the clutter is that it becomes incredibly hard to spot enemies. Combine this with how incredibly quickly you die and you have a series frustration fit. The rule of thumb tends to be whoever sees who first always wins with some rare exceptions only being if the other player that sees you first somehow fails to kill you must have hands made of ham.

Again another issue with the maps I have is some really frustrating designs. There are some great maps and a few of my favourites being: Riot, Ascend, Biolab and Solar. But the two I really loathe are Detroit which is far too cluttered and the same goes for the jungle map which I forget the name of and another... which I forget the name of again which is in a Japanese style with a pink cherry tree. Someone thought it would be great to put a death pit in the middle that you have no idea about. Yeah good idea, I have fallen down there so many times it isn't funny anymore.

The lack of dedicated servers STILL is a really big issue if you're playing on PC (along with ping being in bars, what's that? Can we have numbers?). I doubt the delay is really noticeable on a console as everything is slower paced and more balanced around having a controller. Just the amount of times I have been shot around corners, insta melee killed from 5 screens away or witnessed in sheer disbelief as my bullets just sponged into my target with no describable effect while at the same time he blows my ass off quite happily. Speaking of having my ass blown off I seem to die 9 times out of 10 from someone shooting me in the back. People just appear behind you constantly and you have no chance.

That brings me onto another thing: the instant melee kill. This along with the one shot weapons in the game can go and stick their heads down a toilet. Has this always been a CoD thing? I really dislike it. You die fast enough already to regular weapons, why the need for other things that kill you in one go I don't know.

So for the movement it's ok. I put a lot of time into Titanfall and that is the closest game I can compare it to and to be blunt Titanfall does it better. CoD's isn't terrible by no means and I've had some good fun with it - but as I mentioned before; I just believe that the map design hinders CoD's new movement to a large degree. 

As for the good: the port in itself is well done for once and that makes me happy. Lots of advanced graphic settings and an FOV slider. Kevin Spacey. I'm really liking the campaign. Sometimes you just gotta switch off and just enjoy the big dumb fancy AAA being thrown at your face.

Press E to pay respects.

Edited by dux